• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBoyd

I'm obviously hoping it means I've been successful in the test.
Says my result and application will now be taken into consideration for the next stage in the recruitment process and they'll be in touch in due course.

It, sadly, does not (I think). It means that you have completed the test. You will have to wait (get used to that) to hear if you've passed or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattB

I found the lift test the hardest part, have they sent you an assessment booklet? If so just read it and read it and practice.:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anybody got in to a signalling job by starting as track maintenance? No more signalling in my area at the moment but maintance one on Indeed

You weren't wrong! The lift counting exercise was a lot more difficult than the book lets you believe, all other tests are pretty straight forward though! Not getting my results till Monday :D:):D

njarviss

good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you. I didn't get through to interview on track maintenance so having to wait for another signaller job to come up.

signaller62

Good evening, Folks.

Just been accepted as a Grade 2 Signaller in Scotland on a relatively quiet single track line. I would rather not say where as I am asking what people think of their Signalling job?

It will be £8000 pa less pay from my current job BUT in my current job I am out of the country a lot and the job is pretty stressful too (North Sea ship's crew).

I see the job as a "Life Balancer" in that I get to come home every night plus it is Safety Critical, multi-tasking "on-your-own-get-on-with-it" which I am used to. But no Storm 10s or 50ft waves!

So, Qualified Signallers - do you enjoy Life!!!???

Regards

TomBoyd

Literally the greatest job on earth.

Huge chances for quick progression too, keep an eye on the internal jobs list, get yourself a nice grade 8 power box job and lap up the overtime.

You might also find that 8k closed pretty quickly by overtime payments, Sunday working etc etc.

Good luck!

Cagey

Good evening, Folks.

Just been accepted as a Grade 2 Signaller in Scotland on a relatively quiet single track line. I would rather not say where as I am asking what people think of their Signalling job?

It will be £8000 pa less pay from my current job BUT in my current job I am out of the country a lot and the job is pretty stressful too (North Sea ship's crew).

I see the job as a "Life Balancer" in that I get to come home every night plus it is Safety Critical, multi-tasking "on-your-own-get-on-with-it" which I am used to. But no Storm 10s or 50ft waves!

So, Qualified Signallers - do you enjoy Life!!!???

Regards

Hi Signaller 62, Well done on the new job- How're you getting on? I'vejust applied for a grade 2 job down south, very similar to you, i'm in the North Sea (Alba Field). Massive pay cut, but the work/home balance would be much better.

Good luck

signaller62

Hi Cagey.

Start School next week. Seem a a good bunch of people..helpful...professional..happy with decision.

The wee Boxes are due to close soon & it will be Inverness for those who want.

I never got to Alba - was on Standby ships - did relief work at Clair & PBLJ (interesting in winter), Murchison, Heather, Cormorant, Piper, Saltire, Ninians, Dunlin, Everest, Armada, Tiffany, Shearwater & others! As Second Mate the Passage Planning kept me bl**dy busy...

Good Luck "Down South".

8d3

Hello, just a quick question. I recently did the assessment. I've received an email saying that I've passed. Do you know if that means that I've benchmarked or does it mean that I benchmarked and I've been shortlisted for the next stage? Thanks!

contrad!ction

Hello, just a quick question. I recently did the assessment. I've received an email saying that I've passed. Do you know if that means that I've benchmarked or does it mean that I benchmarked and I've been shortlisted for the next stage? Thanks!

Firstly well done on passing, secondly (certainly since I did it circa 2 years ago) it just means you've passed the assessments. You'll now be waiting on HR/the LOM to shortlist the final 5 for interview (for which you should receive another email either way).

8d3

Firstly well done on passing, secondly (certainly since I did it circa 2 years ago) it just means you've passed the assessments. You'll now be waiting on HR/the LOM to shortlist the final 5 for interview (for which you should receive another email either way).

Thanks! My fingers are well and truly crossed.

One thing I've been wondering... I have the Signaller Recruitment Information Booklet and in it, it says 'see Part 3 FAQs for details of the 8 core nontechnical skills'. There is no Part 3 in the booklet and no FAQs.

So what are the 8 core nontechnical skills and where can I find info on them?

TomBoyd

second link on google:

The 8 core non-technical skills are as follows:

Conscientiousness – the ability to work diligently, with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Relationships with People – the ability to work with others in the team in a positive, respectful and supportive manner; providing support and help when needed and managing conflict when required.

Communications – the ability to communicate both verbally and in written format clearly and concisely and to stand your ground as necessary.

Willingness and Ability to Learn – the ability and motivation to be trained, retain information, apply it in the work environment and learn and develop on the job.

Planning and Decision Making – the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise activities.

Multi Task Capacity – the ability to successfully carry out more than one task at a time.

Controlled Under Pressure – the ability to cope in emergency or degraded situations.

Attention Management – the ability to remain alert and focussed, to manage distractions, and keep an awareness of the overall situation.

8d3

Thank you, it's a good thing that using Google isn't one of the 8 core nontechnical skills. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.