• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Centre Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchangelA

Other than the role of signaller, what are the other roles to be found within a large signalling centre? Which of these roles would be a good way to start a career path within the signalling centre for an external candidate?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warrior33

Within signalling centres you would typically find:

Signallers
Shift Signalling Managers
Train Delay Attributors

If you didn’t want to go for signalling roles (no reason why not, a lot of requirement is done externally for these roles now), a good place would be as a Train Delay Attributor. Get to learn how delays are created, pinch points on the network, train service patterns etc, all standing in good stead to move into signalling.

Although as I said, no reason why you couldn’t apply direct!

Good luck.

ArchangelA

Within signalling centres you would typically find:

Signallers
Shift Signalling Managers
Train Delay Attributors

If you didn’t want to go for signalling roles (no reason why not, a lot of requirement is done externally for these roles now), a good place would be as a Train Delay Attributor. Get to learn how delays are created, pinch points on the network, train service patterns etc, all standing in good stead to move into signalling.

Although as I said, no reason why you couldn’t apply direct!

Good luck.

Thanks Warrior. Would you need to pass the online tests (like a signaller role) to get in?

warrior33

Not sure regarding the TDA roles, I’ve never been one.

I am sure like most jobs nowadays, that there would be some form of online test to sift before hand, if not then a straight interview!

LOM

Some still have announcers (CIS operators). Also MOMs and LOM based away from the operating floor.

SilentGrade

If you’re talking a ROC type environment you’ll also have route control. A whole host of different roles exist in there

LOM

You would be very unlikely to get a Control job off the street as an external candidate in NR at least.

Sunset route

At our location we have signallers,
SSMs, TDACs, MOMs and LOMs and from the engineering side the S&T technicians are based in the same building.

warrior33

Are route controllers only employed internally then? What are their working conditions like?

Incident Controllers and Train Running Controllers are recruited for externally, the most recent ROCs to do this are Basingstoke and York plus Derby.

As LOM mentioned they are hard to get externally and most times it’s people who have worked with a TOC, getting the TRC roles. IC slightly easier but the CV would have to be impressive and have really good relevant experience such as managing resources/incidents or show the ability to do so.

Recently York ROC have been recruiting for Train Running Assistants, they appear to be new roles and seem like a support to TRCs.

I have previously worked as a signaller, in a route control and as a LOM, if you wanted to know more about the roles in depth then let me know, albeit I did leave NR for TfL some time ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.