• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling failure Rugby/MKC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneatonmark

Just sat outside Rugby with all the signals red according to Opentraintimes and multiple trains backed up. So much for 'going slowly between Rugby and MKC as per the announcement at Nuneaton! Must be pretty bad, anyone idea exactly what the problem is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nuneatonmark

Thanks. The train manager has just confirmed so. I use this line very regularly not heard about flooding in Kilsby tunnel for a long time.

The Snap

Established Member
Thanks. The train manager has just confirmed so. I use this line very regularly not heard about flooding in Kilsby tunnel for a long time.

The drainage in the tunnel is knackered. NR and their contractors are working to renew it as we speak with a view to carrying out the works in the next 12-24 months.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see from RTT that the early Holyhead/Blackpool double Voyager (1R13) has turned round at Milton Keynes to pick up its return path to Holyhead (1D83).
Unloading 10 cars of unhappy commuters wouldn't be much fun.
I also see LM are heavily delayed via Northampton.
If the problem is in Kilsby tunnel, why would the Northampton loop be affected?
No VT services seem to be diverting via Northampton either.

PS To answer my own question, flooding also around Northampton.
Delays up to 3 hours now.

Last edited:

David57

LM advise that a fleet of minibuses will convey passengers between Rugby, Long Buckby and Northampton.

In the past, when the Weedon route is closed due to emergency problems, LM chose not to call at Long Buckby, running some trains as ECS in the path of the booked service, to avoid further delays.

The Snap

Established Member
Just had a report from one of our guys down on track at Castlethorpe near MK, the track is under water down there, all trains running at 5mph through the area!

causton

Established Member
OpenTrainTimes maps, OpenTrainTimes schedules, RealTimeTrains and my live departure board app all show different things. Wonder what I should go with, and if I will get to work on time ;)

miami

Established Member
Currently say on the 1006a at Euston, 2h03 late and we're between Roade and Wolverton.

I wouldn't mind but we actually stopped at Rugby along a station but weren't allowed to get off and return, let alone adding an extra stop earlier when it was apparent what the delay would actually mean.

1211: we've passed the affected area just before travelling through Wolverton

There presumably were two flooding incidents, one up at Rugby, the other near Wolverton?

Last edited by a moderator:

GB

Established Member
Kilsby and Crick are both affected by flooding from what I can gather.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/

Affects both tunnels, and the wider area:

Network Rail’s orange army has been pumping water from two tunnels and a number of other sites to try and return services to normal as quickly as possible.
Speed restrictions have been put in place to keep trains safely running through the affected areas but this has led to longer journeys and some cancellations.
Affected areas include a tunnel near Crick, between Rugby and Long Buckby, a tunnel near Kilsby, south of Rugby; the Wolverton area, near Milton Keynes; and Patford Bridge, near Whilton

All Line Rover

Established Member
Any reason why, with delays of up to 3 hours and trains backed up from Nuneaton, Virgin still isn't cancelling 1tph Manchester and 1tph Birmingham?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surprising.

LM, by the way, have this bare-faced lie on their website:

We are unable to operate road transport due to flooding and disruption on motorways and local roads.

The A508 is open. Therefore, if they are terminating at MKC as it seems they are, they could run buses for that bit at least.

There is certainly absolutely nothing infrastructure-related preventing the operation of a MKC<->Wolverton shuttle bus. They could even arrange acceptance with Arriva buses.

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Any reason why, with delays of up to 3 hours and trains backed up from Nuneaton, Virgin still isn't cancelling 1tph Manchester and 1tph Birmingham?

according to nationalrail.co.uk they are cancelling those, however the departures from Euston seem to be completely chaotic

westcoaster

Established Member
Surprising.

LM, by the way, have this bare-faced lie on their website:

The A508 is open. Therefore, if they are terminating at MKC as it seems they are, they could run buses for that bit at least.

There is certainly absolutely nothing infrastructure-related preventing the operation of a MKC<->Wolverton shuttle bus. They could even arrange acceptance with Arriva buses.

From what I remember there is nowhere to turn a bus around at wolverton.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From what I remember there is nowhere to turn a bus around at wolverton.

It could serve the bus stop on the bridge without any difficulty by running a different route there and back. Or use minibuses, or taxis, both of which can easily turn round.

It's an excuse, pure and simple, and a shoddy one at that. There is a way. Rail replacement buses can and do serve Wolverton on planned engineering works.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
And they don't seem to be running any transport between Wellingborough and Northampton.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
According to the Highways Agency, the M1 is flowing freely in both directions between Milton Keynes and Northampton.

It's a bare-faced lie. TOCs seem to like to use it because it gets them off the difficulty of arranging buses (which, if they can't manage it because they're busy doing school runs, say, how about telling people the truth?)

Meanwhile how are people going to get back to Northampton this evening? Nothing has been published showing steps being taken to achieve this.

Unacceptable. TOCs should be fined heavily[1] for failing to arrange replacement transport unless there is a properly verifiable reason.

[1] Heavily enough that a fleet of taxis is cheaper.

baz2277

Hi all,

Anyone got an estimated time for this problem to be sorted? Do you think things will be back to normal by the morning? Was wondering what the problem was when a Pendolino was at a standstill outside my work this morning in Lichfield!

Just wondering, as due to go to London from Birmingham tomorrow, I see they are suggesting using Chiltern - always wanted to try that service!

Every cloud....!

Cheers

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Where do they magic up these buses/coaches and mini busses from?

If they cannot obtain minibuses and coaches their website should say:

Unfortunately we cannot run a replacement road service because we cannot obtain buses and coaches to do so at present. We are continuing to investigate options for this evening's peak and would appreciate your patience; we will advise as soon as we know what we can do. If at all possible we would strongly advise you make other arrangements, such as being collected by car from Wellingborough. We regret refunds cannot be made in respect of individual taxi fares incurred, however <fare refund policy goes here>.

What it does say is:

We are unable to operate road transport due to flooding and disruption on motorways and local roads.

Which is patently false.

A0wen

On Moderation
If they cannot obtain minibuses and coaches their website should say:

Unfortunately we cannot run a replacement road service because we cannot obtain buses and coaches to do so at present. We are continuing to investigate options for this evening's peak and would appreciate your patience; we will advise as soon as we know what we can do. If at all possible we would strongly advise you make other arrangements, such as being collected by car from Wellingborough. We regret refunds cannot be made in respect of individual taxi fares incurred, however <fare refund policy goes here>.

What it does say is:

Which is patently false.

Well, actually it probably isn't.

First things first - to get to the M1 going via Wolverton is a very long way around - easily adding 40 mins to the journey.

As for the non-motorway roads - I can tell you for a fact (because I came in to MK on the B526 this morning) that there was ALOT of flooding on various roads - to be honest, in the dozen or so years I've been doing the journey I've NEVER seen anything quite like it with rain - the only time I've seen anything close was when it snowed about 10 years ago.

Long Buckby station is very isolated - so running to there would mean running via lanes which are flooded.

And at Northampton the A4500 - the main road into Northampton from Jnc 16 is closed due to flooding - which if you bother to look at Stagecoach's website you will see they are having to cancel and divert buses.

I assume that with your righteous indignation you have experience of arranging transport at short notice to know what is or isn't achievable?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone who doubts what road disruption there is around Northampton / Northants at the moment due to flooding need only check here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/northampton/incidents/road

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
First things first - to get to the M1 going via Wolverton is a very long way around - easily adding 40 mins to the journey.

Who says Wolverton couldn't be served by a separate Wolverton<->MKC shuttle?

Long Buckby station is very isolated - so running to there would mean running via lanes which are flooded.

Being unable to serve Long Buckby is not a reason not to serve Wolverton and Northampton.

And at Northampton the A4500 - the main road into Northampton from Jnc 16 is closed due to flooding - which if you bother to look at Stagecoach's website you will see they are having to cancel and divert buses.

If Stagecoach can divert so can LM.

I assume that with your righteous indignation you have experience of arranging transport at short notice to know what is or isn't achievable?

Once again, read what I wrote. I am not complaining about them failing to arrange it. I am complaining about generic lies and get-outs posted on their website.

Anyone who doubts what road disruption there is around Northampton / Northants at the moment due to flooding need only check here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/northampton/incidents/road

Does not presently show any roads into Northampton as closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.