• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling in Chester & Surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Can't find a more relevant thread:
I noticed today that all the old LNWR signal boxes on the upgraded North Wales coast line are still extant, some with their nameboards intact.
This is some 2 years after signalling control was transferred to Cardiff for the route between Connah's Quay and Llysfaen.
Those at Abergele and Prestatyn still look very smart, and still seem to have their lever frames intact.
Rhyl No 2 (west of the station) looks very shabby now - it was the victim of an earlier rationalisation.
Rhyl No 1, recently eliminated, still looks fine.

This is is stark contrast to the practice elsewhere on NR, where the policy seems to be to demolish old boxes the moment they are made redundant.
eg those at Allerton and Speke.
I think the only old box retained around Liverpool is that at Rainhill.
The one at Huyton was in the way of the new layout and electrification, so not surprising it had to go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Can't find a more relevant thread:
I noticed today that all the old LNWR signal boxes on the upgraded North Wales coast line are still extant, some with their nameboards intact.
This is some 2 years after signalling control was transferred to Cardiff for the route between Connah's Quay and Llysfaen.
Those at Abergele and Prestatyn still look very smart, and still seem to have their lever frames intact.
Rhyl No 2 (west of the station) looks very shabby now - it was the victim of an earlier rationalisation.
Rhyl No 1, recently eliminated, still looks fine.

Listed building status tends to keep the wrecking ball away: Holywell Jn, Mostyn No. 1, Rhyl No. 1 and 2, and Abergele are all Grade 2 listed buildings. (Prestatyn notably isn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.