• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling outage at Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael769

Established Member
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/sac7b3e2eb454b28beb1318259576ac4/details.html

Sounds pretty nasty, looking at NRE there seem to be a lot of trains that are showing as report overdue at the moment.

Thankfully I am at home this morning waiting for the boiler repair man....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Train services to/from Glasgow Central are currently withdrawn, passengers are advised to make their own alternative arrangements at present

Looks like folks are gonna have trouble getting back to work after the break.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris89

Established Member
Looks like i will have to make my way to motherwell, going by Vt trains are starting/ terminating there :/ which would for me be the 12:00 to Birmingham New Street.

On the ever so positive side get new lines in instead from Low Level Central.

Chris

bAzTNM

Just back from a trip from Bridgeton to Milngavie. First stage of the trip until Central was absolute murder, I've never been on a train that busy before, after Central it was ok.

On the trip back from Milngavie it was fine until we hit Central and the train filled up, suitcases everywhere. Some old boy nearly fell backwards into a pile of cases, lucky a bunch of people behind him grabbed him. Absolute chaos.

chris89

Established Member
Trains from Low Level to Motherwell were packed, currently on the 12:00 which arrived in Motherwell after running round about 12:16 and left at 12:26: currently running under a lot of double and single cautions though sadly.

Chris

bAzTNM

On the BBC site now..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17662861

Would this carry-on be caused by the quite heavy rain around the Glasgow area this morning?

A signal problem affecting train services to and from Glasgow Central Station has been fixed.

Passengers earlier faced delays and cancellations on high level services. Low level services were unaffected.

ScotRail had urged rush hour commuters to make their own alternative arrangements.

Network Rail said the problem, which developed at about 07:30, had been sorted and services should return to near normal by mid-afternoon.

David Simpson, route managing director for Scotland, said: ''We were on site within 10 minutes and have been working since then to rectify the problem.

"Unfortunately due to the complex nature of the problem the exact location of the fault has been difficult to establish.

"Our technical experts are on site and are working restore service as quickly as possible."

All train routes to and from Glasgow Central high level - with exception of Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Paisley Canal - had been withdrawn.

CrossCountry services to and from Central were being delayed by up to 60 minutes.

Virgin Trains were starting and terminating at Motherwell.

Services are said to be quieter than normal due to the Easter holidays.

A ScotRail spokeswoman said: "We have extra staff on the ground to assist customers, and are organising replacement transport where possible."

michael769

Established Member
Who knows. The problem was fixed this morning but service are only really back on their feet now. Must be chaos for the planners when something that big happens - when it comes to getting trains and crews back in position.

qpsnapper

On the BBC site now..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17662861

Would this carry-on be caused by the quite heavy rain around the Glasgow area this morning?
Didn't think the rain was particularly heavy this morning, certainly nothing unusual for Glasgow.

Not impressed after being stuck on a train between Queen's Park and Pollokshields East this morning for 1hr 20m before the driver got permission to reverse back to Queen's Park to let passengers disembark.

matchmaker

Established Member
As the area is controlled by West of Scotland Signalling Centre a phrase containing the words "eggs" and "basket" comes to mind......................

Railsigns

Established Member
As the area is controlled by West of Scotland Signalling Centre a phrase containing the words "eggs" and "basket" comes to mind......................

Unless the failure affected the entire WSSC control area (which it didn't - Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Paisley Canal services were still running), it wouldn't be appropriate to apply that phrase to the situation in question. The BBC reports that the problem was a power failure at Polmadie, incidentally.

tsr

Established Member
Unless the failure affected the entire WSSC control area (which it didn't - Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Paisley Canal services were still running), it wouldn't be appropriate to apply that phrase to the situation in question. The BBC reports that the problem was a power failure at Polmadie, incidentally.

Then a phrase involving the words "more", "UPS" and "urgently required" does come to mind.

I was on the 12:00 to BHM starting from Motherwell too. Scotrail paid for a w/c accessible taxi to get me from KMK to GLC. Very grateful for that. Took the 11:37 to Motherwell from Central Station Low Level. Does anyone have any idea how late it was into EUS? It was about 21 late at BHM?

Didn't think the rain was particularly heavy this morning, certainly nothing unusual for Glasgow.

Not impressed after being stuck on a train between Queen's Park and Pollokshields East this morning for 1hr 20m before the driver got permission to reverse back to Queen's Park to let passengers disembark.

A fellow Circler, my flatmate text me to say they were knackered at 8, I went for mine at half past and people were flooding down the platform, the buses became a nightmare taking all the load and nobody knowing how much the bloody thing cost made it take ages.

chris89

Established Member
I was on the 12:00 to BHM starting from Motherwell too. Scotrail paid for a w/c accessible taxi to get me from KMK to GLC. Very grateful for that. Took the 11:37 to Motherwell from Central Station Low Level. Does anyone have any idea how late it was into EUS? It was about 21 late at BHM?

Good to hear that you got it fine.

The Staff (First) at Central were saying wait till an announce meant then just go for Motherwell, yet one of the few VT staff just said go straight to Motherwell, Which gladly the other half came with me which was miles out of her way.

The train arrived into Wolverhampton about 25 odd late, so looks like it made a few minutes up, as it was 29 late into Crewe.

Also was quite a bit of Chaos in Coach D with people getting on at Preston 'Demanding' resevation seats whilst the system was down.

Chris

Good to hear that you got it fine.

The Staff (First) at Central were saying wait till an announce meant then just go for Motherwell, yet one of the few VT staff just said go straight to Motherwell, Which gladly the other half came with me which was miles out of her way.

The train arrived into Wolverhampton about 25 odd late, so looks like it made a few minutes up, as it was 29 late into Crewe.

Also was quite a bit of Chaos in Coach D with people getting on at Preston 'Demanding' resevation seats whilst the system was down.

Chris

I was in coach B which was pretty busy. A passenger with a dog, insisted on sitting on the floor, obstructing luggage space. I was glad she got off at Crewe! On the whole, the mood amongst the passengers, where i was seemed to be OK.

chris89

Established Member
Anyone else still reading the thread title as "Signalling outrage at Glasgow Central"?

I did as well. Wouldn't be supprised if it did :p

I was in coach B which was pretty busy. A passenger with a dog, insisted on sitting on the floor, obstructing luggage space. I was glad she got off at Crewe! On the whole, the mood amongst the passengers, where i was seemed to be OK.

Apart from those few passengers, everyone else in D coach were perfectly fine i have to admit. Most i would have imagined were glad they were on a train and going where they were supposed to be going.

Re the person with the dog, it applies to any one really and you always get a few.

In comparison my Journey up to Edinburgh on Friday was very nice and arrived rather early at Penrith & Carlise, Got to Carstairs junction at 15:45 instead of normal 16:00 ish, so we sat outside Haymarket for a few minutes for a platform to become free.

Chris

VTPreston_Tez

Yesterday was hellish at Preston. I was meant to be going GLC but want MAN instead. When I was there all trains were going to GLC but just delayed, around midday IIRC.
First Class on my 185 was declassified but given it was peak time aswell...ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.