• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Quiz 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railsigns

Established Member
No disagreement with the second part, but I'm not sure it makes any difference whether an SPT is provided or not (I can certainly think of numerous signals with a diamond and an SPT). I thought that the method of working was relevant as diamonds aren't provided on TCB lines (otherwise every signal on the WCML would have one, as you say).
But diamond signs are provided on TCB lines. The only reason you don't often see them there is that nearly every signal has an SPT.

For the avoidance of doubt, this discussion is about plain white diamond signs. Diamond signs bearing a letter L, T or X are a different matter - those ones are only fitted to signals with SPTs.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I'll have to go away and do a bit of reading of my own - I've seen too many diamond-plated signals with SPTs for them to be exceptions to a rule; why can't a Driver be exempted from carrying out the former Rule 55 immediately just because there's an easier means for him to do so?

Railsigns

Established Member
I'll have to go away and do a bit of reading of my own - I've seen too many diamond-plated signals with SPTs for them to be exceptions to a rule; why can't a Driver be exempted from carrying out the former Rule 55 immediately just because there's an easier means for him to do so?

To save you some time and seeing as you've mentioned the old Rule 55, I've scanned the part of that rule which explains the meaning of a diamond sign:

rule55.jpg

Carefully note the first five words!

Tomnick

Established Member
Interesting; thanks for providing that snippet. I wonder how many exceptions there are around the network?

9K43

To save you some time and seeing as you've mentioned the old Rule 55, I've scanned the part of that rule which explains the meaning of a diamond sign:

rule55.jpg

Carefully note the first five words!

Are we talking about Section K detention of trains on a running line?
In my service, I have carried out Section K quite a few times in the Manchester area, before Vic was messed up.
This was mainly in the area around Park Station, on the road behing the up platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.