• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling School Dec Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraG

Hi everyone,

I should be hopefully starting Signalling School in December and was just having a look on the this forum for some info, I have read some great threads full of information and I can't wait to get started on the course! Anyone else on here going to be on the intake?? Anyone who has just got out of signalling school got any key advice? All comments welcome!

Also strange question here but is there a dress code?? I was in the BTP for a while and passed out of the Scottish Police College a few years back so I know what it feels like to be away from home for weeks, although I home hoping that Signalling School will not involve compulsory P.E classes ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

Hi everyone,

I should be hopefully starting Signalling School in December and was just having a look on the this forum for some info, I have read some great threads full of information and I can't wait to get started on the course! Anyone else on here going to be on the intake?? Anyone who has just got out of signalling school got any key advice? All comments welcome!

Also strange question here but is there a dress code?? I was in the BTP for a while and passed out of the Scottish Police College a few years back so I know what it feels like to be away from home for weeks, although I home hoping that Signalling School will not involve compulsory P.E classes ;)

Main advice? Enjoy it. With the right group, it can be a blast.

If its Absolute Block School, learn the bell codes before you go, it'll come in handy.

Hope for a good group of people.

Go on the first day in smart casual, just in case. Day 2 we were in jeans and tshirt as the trainer said he didn't care.

There are now exams back in the course, so don't duck it up. Concentrate, learn. It'll be awesome and you've now got the best job in the world.

Tomnick

Established Member
Don't underestimate how valuable the other trainees in the group are - we spent of our waking hours together as a group, whether that was in the classroom, walking along the canal after school, eating in the hotel or going for a (sensible!) drink or two in the evening. I've always found it useful to help others with anything that they're struggling with, consolidating my own understanding in the process. I'm not sure that the hotel appreciated us pinching the bell from reception to practice bell signals at the dinner table though ;)

As Tom says, it's the best job in the world and well worth the effort in the classroom. Good luck :)

Lddex

Congrats.
I'm currently in Week 5 and as both Tom's have said it is a blast.

Be prepared to work hard. Wk1+2 are relaxed. 3+4 and the pace gets intense then calms down for Wk5+6

Our group can't be separated, we study together, eat together, gym together. While a little sad some one did say that if anyone failed then we all failed. As long as you put the work in then its fine. Don't be scared to ask or say you don't get it, some of the topics are mind blowing and everyone learns at different pace and the trainers know this - at the end of the day they are paid to make you sure you know the rules and can leave school competent to continue your training in the box.

In terms of dress code. They say smart casual but you will see that this goes out of the window. I would not even look at the rule books before hand but I would start to learn the bell codes, and phonetic alphabet (as there are no real lessons in these) but the trainers are good, if there is something you don't get you can ask any of them and they'll go through it. There is an exam at end of WK 2, one at end of WK4 and one at WK8. 70% is a straight pass. 61% or above and they go through it and ask you the questions to talk you up, anything below and its your LOMs decision if you stay or go. The biggest downfall on not getting the marks is often down to not reading what the question asks you.

Most of all - enjoy it - take it as it comes and you'll love it. We're always laughing and joking

Last edited:

woblynne

Hi, currently at York and have just finished week 3.

It definitely does ramp up in week 3!!
I found that week 1 centred around Non Technical Skills/Diversity and Inclusion and NR's Lifesaving rules with an introduction to signalling.
Week 2 introduced more procedures and regulations with week 3 centring on safety critical procedures.

It also helps to be comfortable with your communications (Accurate/Brief/Clear) and to take the lead in situations. Knowledge of the phonetic alphabet is a must.

We have 12 in our group with age ranges from early 20's to 50. Everyone is keen to offer advice and to help each other out. Once you learn something practice it on the Simulator as this will help to commit it to memory. We have a roster each week with an early and late slot so everyone gets equal time.

Dress code is smart casual with a mix of Jeans/trousers and shirts/T-shirts/Jumpers.

The main thing is to enjoy it although parts can be mentally draining and the tutors are always there to offer their help and advice.

Mark

Last edited:

LauraG

Thanks for all your posts! It's reassuring to get some information first hand before getting to York. I'm definitely looking forward to getting stuck in and learning a whole lot more about the railway and get back to the operational side rather than office based.

I imagine I'll be a regular on this forum now with constant questions!

Tomnick

Established Member
I imagine I'll be a regular on this forum now with constant questions!
Nothing consolidates your knowledge better than a proper pedantic discussion about some obscure corner of the signalling regs! There certainly seem to be quite a few of us signalling types on the forums nowadays.

Junk_girl

Hello all,

Well I am one who is trying to join the elite signaller club! I have applied and been accepted to do the online SJT.. I don't want to mess it up! Can anyone give me any advice on it!? Was it hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.