• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling School Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxynew

Hoping someone can advise me, i presume at signalling school there are separate courses for AB and TCB or does everyone have to do the AB?

And if your new box is both AB and TCB how does that work regards signalling school?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
There are 2 separate courses, which generally you will go on the course most suitable to you. It’s not unheard of for people going to a TCB box to learn AB, and then do the TCB ‘conversion’ course at the end. Primarily due to space on TCB courses.

You’ll do the AB course, with the TCB conversion!

galaxynew

There are 2 separate courses, which generally you will go on the course most suitable to you. It’s not unheard of for people going to a TCB box to learn AB, and then do the TCB ‘conversion’ course at the end. Primarily due to space on TCB courses.

You’ll do the AB course, with the TCB conversion!
Thanks for that, was what i expected

Does that extend the course beyond 12 weeks do you know?

Judochop

Weeks 1 - 11 for the AB course

Week 12 is for the final practical, you'll be in one half day but come up the day before as you have that evening on the SIM.

Week 13 TCB course

Judochop

That doesn't seem to happen anymore. I started on the Tuesday, filled in paperwork and stuff like that, Wednesday travelled to York for the 2 days with babcock. I didn't see my box until after I passed week 13.

Some people on my course had started a few weeks before and had been to their box for a few days. 1 was offered the job on the Friday and was in the hotel Sunday night.

bouff34

I start on my course on 18 March. Four weeks at York then we seem to have a two week break for Easter - I assume I'll go to my box for those two weeks. Then back to Signal School for 8 weeks (but only the Friday of week 12 for the practical).

Judochop

Friday on week 12 was my practical aswell. I was on my own as the full class didnt make it, thankfully 1 of the WDS stayed for an hour after they finished work on the thursday to help me.

galaxynew

when you say "didn't make it" do you mean nobody else on your course managed to finish it?

how many were on your course and is this normal (high numbers failing the course)

Judochop

We only had 9 on our course, 2 didn't make it all the way. 1 was a dick and spent the whole time getting pissed. The other failed week 6 and I believe is now a crossing keeper. We then had 2 people from another class who failed their week 11 exam a few weeks earlier join us at week 7 for their second chance.

galaxynew

You read on here how many times people apply for these jobs and try and try again, some never succeed so crazy that someone gets one and total messes up 'cos can't commit to a few weeks graft, would feel genuinely sorry for someone who has tried but failed an exam but not an idiot that treats is as a holiday and piss up.

Presume you passed okay and are now a signaller somewhere.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It is quite sad, and annoying when people can’t forgo 12 weeks of their lives to commit 100% to the course, it won’t wash when their back in their location if their sick regularly or late for duty that’s for sure - also alcohol is a massive No, No on the railway !

I’m surprised anyone would risk the random D&A tests in school to be honest...

Judochop

His behaviour really annoyed me, it took me few years to get in, he was 1 application 1 interview and in.

All I could think of was everyone else in the country busting their arse trying to get and would do anything for this opportunity. To him it was a free trip to York.

Yeah i passed okay no issues didnt use a talk up. Signalling school for me was easy in the sense it was so bloody hard and stressfull that all i did was commit 100% to the course and nothing else I didn't touch alcohol at all, not even at home. Revised every night, woke up at 04:30 virtually every morning to revise for a few hours before school. Revised around 4hr every Saturday and on the Sunday I had a little read on the train journey up.

Some might say that's to much but for me I needed to do that as in was scared I'd fail, Because of this I scored very well in all my written exams and had zero issues, it's only 3 months and I found they went very quick.

galaxynew

His behaviour really annoyed me, it took me few years to get in, he was 1 application 1 interview and in.

All I could think of was everyone else in the country busting their arse trying to get and would do anything for this opportunity. To him it was a free trip to York.

Yeah i passed okay no issues didnt use a talk up. Signalling school for me was easy in the sense it was so bloody hard and stressfull that all i did was commit 100% to the course and nothing else I didn't touch alcohol at all, not even at home. Revised every night, woke up at 04:30 virtually every morning to revise for a few hours before school. Revised around 4hr every Saturday and on the Sunday I had a little read on the train journey up.

Some might say that's to much but for me I needed to do that as in was scared I'd fail, Because of this I scored very well in all my written exams and had zero issues, it's only 3 months and I found they went very quick.
Fully agree with everything you say and well done for the commitment you showed and great you passed with flying colours.

JohnGannon4

Can anyone help? I’ve just got a job in Doncaster and haven’t yet had a start date for signal school. Will I be doing a TCB course (buttons) or a full lever course? Doncaster is button only so wasn’t sure what course I’d be on. Thank you.

headshot119

Established Member
Can anyone help? I’ve just got a job in Doncaster and haven’t yet had a start date for signal school. Will I be doing a TCB course (buttons) or a full lever course? Doncaster is button only so wasn’t sure what course I’d be on. Thank you.

You could in theory do a "straight" TCB course which is 12 weeks long, or an AB course, with one week TCB conversion course. You'll do whatever they can get you I'd expect.

JohnGannon4

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve heard the AB course is more intense than the TCB so I was just wondering. I expect both to be quite intense so either way I’ll be fully committed to both courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.