• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling School York 13th June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you it's starting in York had any details about where we are staying, directions of where to go and when to arrive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

signaller62

Hi Sarah.

No...I've not heard anything other than the course start date.

I will be a Relief Signaller (assuming exams go OK) & will be based at Forres, Elgin & Nairn in the NE Scotland. The line runs between Inverness & Aberdeen, single track bar the crossing areas for each Inverness bound train to "de-conflict" with each Aberdeen bound train + the odd freighter/Queen's train I think...about 27 movements per day...

On Monday at 1000 I meet my new Boss & he is taking me to visit each new Box & to work out a program before York.

8d3

Basic salaries range from c£24K for a Grade 1, to c£45K for a Grade 10.

So what is the significance of the grades? What sort of responsibilities would a grade 5 have that a grade 1 wouldn't. Is it based on skills and responsibilities or is it partly based on years spent in a particular post?

TomBoyd

So what is the significance of the grades? What sort of responsibilities would a grade 5 have that a grade 1 wouldn't. Is it based on skills and responsibilities or is it partly based on years spent in a particular post?

Grade is based ENTIRELY on the the box. Each box/panel/workstation has a grade, and all signallers that work that box/panel/workstation get that grade. If a signaller works multiple box/panel/workstations, they are paid the highest grade available.

The salaries mentioned above do not include shift allowances and sundays. If the box/panel/workstation has nights and weekends (most do) then expect to earn 10-20% more on average, and much more if overtime is your thing. I made 33% extra last year on my salary, in overtime and sundays.

Grades in general come from volume of traffic.

8d3

Grade is based ENTIRELY on the the box. Each box/panel/workstation has a grade, and all signallers that work that box/panel/workstation get that grade. If a signaller works multiple box/panel/workstations, they are paid the highest grade available.

The salaries mentioned above do not include shift allowances and sundays. If the box/panel/workstation has nights and weekends (most do) then expect to earn 10-20% more on average, and much more if overtime is your thing. I made 33% extra last year on my salary, in overtime and sundays.

Grades in general come from volume of traffic.

Interesting. Just out of interest do boxes or posts ever get regraded? If you're working somewhere where there is an increase of traffic for instance.

I'm currently working for a local council and the thought of possibly working for an employer that isn't having their budget continuously cut from one year to the next is extremely appealing, not to mention the job its self which I'm finding increasingly interesting.

My garden backs on to a main railway line right near a signal, I keep looking over the fence to see what its doing (usually not much as far as I can see)

TomBoyd

Interesting. Just out of interest do boxes or posts ever get regraded? If you're working somewhere where there is an increase of traffic for instance.

Yes. Sometimes this is pretty automatic, after major resignalling works for instance, but sometimes it has to be analysed and fought for by the signallers themselves. We're currently looking at asking for an upgrade ourselves.

t o m

I'm currently working for a local council and the thought of possibly working for an employer that isn't having their budget continuously cut from one year to the next is extremely appealing

Better not get a job on the railway then! ;)

carriageline

Established Member
Yes. Sometimes this is pretty automatic, after major resignalling works for instance, but sometimes it has to be analysed and fought for by the signallers themselves. We're currently looking at asking for an upgrade ourselves.

Good luck! a couple of panels at our place are currently going for it, and the things get you the points towards your grade are rather silly IMO, near enough making it impossible to get a 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomBoyd

Good luck! a couple of panels at our place are currently going for it, and the things get you the points towards your grade are rather silly IMO, near enough making it impossible to get a 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hold my breath either. I'm moving this year anyhow!

nom de guerre

We're about to go for it, too. One of our workstations is at least one grade too low.

What are they having to do besides keeping an activity log?

Tomnick

Established Member
My class bonded over the various 'issues' with the hotel being used at the time (Jury's Inn, Leeds). Clearly we weren't the only complainants as the contract was switched to the (better) Novotel halfway through our course :)
Funnily enough, we had various issues with the hotel that they were using for our course (Novotel). They were certainly threatening to switch the contract to the allegedly better Jury's Inn halfway through our course, and I'm sure that they did put those on subsequent courses in there. It's a funny old world!

Hope you both have a great time anyway. Make the most of it, and look after each other as a group, and it'll all be fine :)

Tomnick

Established Member
Thanks tomnick :) I'm ever so excited x
I'm sure you won't be disappointed! It's quite intense at times, but good fun too. We really stuck together as a group, went through things together in the evening (and at the dinner table, but don't "borrow" the bell from reception to practice ringing bell signals over dinner because they don't seem to appreciate that!!) and occasionally went out for a quiet (and sensible!) drink or two in the evening.

signaller62

Just got Joining Instructions: staying at Novotel £20 allowance.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh yes - dress Smart/Casual.

nom de guerre

Funnily enough, we had various issues with the hotel that they were using for our course (Novotel). They were certainly threatening to switch the contract to the allegedly better Jury's Inn halfway through our course, and I'm sure that they did put those on subsequent courses in there. It's a funny old world!

:lol:

Sounds like the contract was perpetually changing hands!

Tomnick

Established Member
It does indeed! I've no doubt that Network Rail were squeezing them as hard as they could with the threat of taking their business to the other, rinse and repeat.

This £20 allowance (for the evening meal?) is something that we didn't have - they negotiated a special (read cheap) menu with just a handful of items. It was changed slightly from week to week, but still got tiring very quickly, naturally. The restaurant manager did at least talk to us each week and try to give us what we wanted (and even stretched to steak in the last week!). A proper allowance to eat off the full menu sounds much better though.

signaller62

Sorry for delay, Pineapplespike...got my notification via email...forwarded from my new Line Manager from HR Training Services I think that it was...

Got my manual..advised to check out Module G1 only...

signaller62

Pineapple...will try to copy stuff here for you...Note that I havnae done half this stuff yet!!!

Training Centre location:

York Engineers Triangle
Cinder Lane off Leeman Road
York
North Yorkshire YO26 4AB
Telephone: 01904 381700

-----------------------------
Prior to attendance you and your line manager are responsible for completing all items in the pre-requisite checklist below. You will be required to bring these with you to training;

You are equipped with ALL of the following sections in your Rule Book;
Index, AC, DC, G1, M1, M2, M3, OTM, P1, P2, PoSA, S4, S5, S7, SP, SS1, SS2, T3, T10, TS1, TS2, TS3, TS4, TS5, TS7, TS8, TS9, TS11, TW1, TW5, TW7, TW8, NOI , TPWS & AWS Handbook & the Signals, Handsignals, Indicators and Signs handbook,

The Learning Agreement has been completed and signed off.

The Pre Training Centre Familiarisation document has been completed and signed off.

You have been issued with a Network Rail Log On ID for Outlook access by your Line Manager.

You have been issued with an E-business Suite log on

You have Photographic Identification in the form of Passport, Driving License or Sentinel card.

Complete and return the course registration form. Used for emergency purposes only.
----------------------------------

Course Details:

• Monday 13th June to Friday 17th June
• Monday 20th June to Friday 24th June
• Monday 27th June to Friday 1st July
• Monday 4th July to Friday 8th July
• Monday 11th July to Friday 15th July
• Monday 18th July to Friday 22nd July
• Monday 25th July to Friday 29th July
• Monday 1st August to Friday 5th August
• Monday 8th August to Friday 12th August
• Monday 15th August (Practical Assessment)

Start 0930 Mondays otherwise 0900.

Status
Not open for further replies.