• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling school - York 5th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin71

Hello,

I've been told I'll be starting signalling school in York on 5th September. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has been given the same course so we can keep in touch.

Also, can anyone please recommend anything worth reading/studying before the course starts?

Thanks

Justin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikesig

It's probably best not to try reading/learning about anything before you start signalling school. I was there earlier this year and one of the WDSs told us that it's really hard for people to unlearn things that they've learned wrong and makes life far more difficult.
That said, if you are doing the AB course, find the TS1 - General signalling regulations module (its on the RSSB website if you haven't got a copy yet), and start learning all the bell codes as knowing them will definitely be helpful.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Read "Red For Danger" before you go and if you can learn the bell codes, but don't worry to much about what the classes mean and don't worry about the rest of TS1.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
"Obstruction Danger" is also a fairly decent book along the same lines.

Slimjim

Hi Justin,

I haven't had confirmation from my LOM yet, but I would imagine I am on this same course.

I start with NR on 1st August and I can't imagine there being two courses so close together.

Darbs

Yes , read up TS1, but it will all be clearly explained T school. Make as much use of the SIM as you can even before and after class. The more you put in the more you will get out of it. It's a great place to train, just be prepared for a lot of hard work!

Justin71

Thanks Darbs, not sure as yet what TS1 is but I'll Google it and see what I can find out.

Slimjim, any news on your course date? I've been told 5th September to 4th November. I'm leaving my current job on 7th August and been given a start date of 15th August, which is great as I'll have three weeks with NR before my course starts. It's good that you're in from the 1st, that's a decent amount of time before the course.

Justin

Darbs

TS 1 general signalling regulations. Which course are you doing? TCB OR AB?

Justin71

Thanks to those of you who mentioned TS1, that'll be a huge help and I'll be sure to start learning the bells. Darbs, not sure about TCB or AB though so I can't answer I'm afraid.

Thanks

Justin

BRblue

Thanks to those of you who mentioned TS1, that'll be a huge help and I'll be sure to start learning the bells. Darbs, not sure about TCB or AB though so I can't answer I'm afraid.

Thanks

Justin

Don't worry about the bell codes Justin... as far as I'm aware they don't use bells at Lewes any more and it's TCB not AB if that helps.
Send me a PM if you need any more info. :)

TomBoyd

Don't worry about the bell codes Justin... as far as I'm aware they don't use bells at Lewes any more and it's TCB not AB if that helps.

bear in mind though that I've never worked AB before, but I still did the AB school.

BRblue

bear in mind though that I've never worked AB before, but I still did the AB school.

This is true TomBoyd but our LOM very rarely puts anyone on an AB course unless it is needed... I actually asked to do the AB course instead of TCB but got turned down as I only needed TCB.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

They might not use them at that Box, but they will still be taught at School, so worth trying to remember some of them.

BRblue

They might not use them at that Box, but they will still be taught at School, so worth trying to remember some of them.

Hate to disagree but I finished signalling school in January this year and they do not teach you bell codes unless you are booked on a AB course...

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hate to disagree but I finished signalling school in January this year and they do not teach you bell codes unless you are booked on a AB course...

That does surprise me, but I will accept what you say.

woblynne

Hi, when I was at York late last year they were trialling a TCB only course to run side by side with the AB course, I guess it saves doing the 1 week conversion to TCB at the end but could limit you if you move to an AB box as the conversion course would take more than 1 week.

Status
Not open for further replies.