• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Small LMS/LM Region terminus in OO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Hello

I am currently building a micro layout but am a bit stuck when it comes to signalling it correctly.

I intend to have non working signals as my expertise is not up to making them work yet.

The layout is set in the 1970s/80s in the old LMS area and can either be in Scotland or the North West of England depending on stock. I would prefer semaphore signalling.

It is a small terminus with a brewery to the bottom right and entrance to fiddle yard top right. The top line is the main platform for passenger trains, whilst the middle line serves as a siding and occasional train departures of passenger and freight. The bottom line is a short siding.

Please see the attached diagram and I would appreciate any help - I am looking to know what signals to place where, both standard signals and ground/shunting signals.

Many thanks

upload_2019-11-13_18-43-33.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
A starter signal at the end of each platform for departing trains. On the right-hand platform also a shunt signal to allow moves into the upper siding.
Both sidings to have a ground disc to allow a train to move out of the siding. From the upper siding the shunt signal would allow a move into either the platform or the other siding; from the siding near the platform it would allow moves either onto the 'main line' or the upper siding.
Sometimes two discs would have been used to indicate more precisely the direction the train was to take, but this was dependent on the company who first built the station - some were more parsimonious over supplying signals than others!
By having the entrance to the fiddleyard so close to the station, you don't need any signals for trains approaching the station - you can assume they are out of sight beyond the bridge or tunnel or whatever scenic break you propose to use.
You would need a small signal box near the station approach as the signaller would need to collect the single line token from incoming trains and give it to the departing train.
Hope this helps.

Bevan Price

Established Member
If your terminus had loco-hauled passenger trains, at least one platform would have had a run-round loop, to release the loco, to enable it to run round the train. By the 1970s/1980s, a small terminus would probably not have had a shunter loco to remove the stock from the platform. (Indeed, at somewhere like Kyle of Lochalsh, the nearest other loco would be well over 50 miles away.)
Of course, if the services were all operated by multiple units, a run-round loop would not be needed.

SeanG

Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

The basic premise is that is is a truncated line which is only open as it serves the brewery with a sparse passenger service. Modellers license allows for a shunter to release loco hauled stock and to shunt wagons.

John Webb

Established Member
It is just possible that in the circumstances you describe the line would be worked on a 'one engine in steam' principle. The sparse passenger traffic would probably be a one or two car DMU. Once this was off the branch you could then have a freight movement. But if you wish to have two trains present, than signalling and an assumption of single-line tokens would be required.
Bevan Price's comment re a run-round loop applies even more to freight trains. You can easily shunt into the brewery siding when the train arrives, but can't then get the loco to the head of the train for departure. A crossover between the right-hand platform road and the adjacent siding would give you the runround facility. Wouldn't need signalling as it would be worked by a small ground frame next to the crossover.
Alternatively give the brewery it's own small shunter that's allowed to move wagons into the lower siding. Incoming train then pushes fresh wagons into the brewery siding, loco reverses onto the wagons in the lower siding so it's in the right position to move them off. But this would still require signalling to prevent a conflicting movement between the brewery shunter and an incoming train.

Status
Not open for further replies.