Signals information

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by newbie babs, 20 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie babs

newbie babs Member

Not sure if there is a thread already, so if there is please re-direct.

I am just getting interested in signals and I was wondering how much track is left with the old semaphores signals on and is there are any map work to show where these are.

I read about the new colour light at Kennett replacing the Ely-Stowmarket semaphores on November 12th.

Is there any others due to be replaced ?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

There's a lot of AB Semaphore in Cornwall, as well as some bits in the London area I think. There's stuff in the Banbury area as well. There are a lot more areas that those - they're just the few I can think of!

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

Hope Valley?

5. district

district Member

Hastings station still has semaphores on the Ore end, and there are sempahores on the way to Brighton on the East Coastway line as well.

6. Nym

Nym Established Member

York - Scarbrough has a fair amount...

7. Rich_D3167

Rich_D3167 Member

In Lincolnshire, there are many mechanical boxes & semaphores still around. Barnetby is the main obvious one, with dozens of semaphores controlled from Barnetby East & Wrawby Junction signalboxes. Also in the area is Roxton Sidings, between Grimsby & Barnetby, about a mile south of Immingham, which has a box, a couple of semaphores for either direction & mechanical gates. The Barton on Humber branch line has Barton Lane crossing box (Thornton Abbey station), Goxhill, Oxmarsh & Barrow Road crossing (both in New Holland). Grimsby has Great Coates Sidings No. 1, Pyewipe Road & Marsh Junction with semaphores on the Grimsby to Immingham Light Railway, but these see very little use as the line is only open as & when required. There are a couple of semaphore signals also still at Ulceby Junction on the Barton on Humber branch, but these aren't too easy to see from the station.

No signalbox on the Barnetby to Lincoln line, or Barnetby to Scunthorpe line have semaphores anymore, although traditional boxes still exist at Holton-le-Moor, Wickenby, Langworth, Elsham & Appleby (Wickenby does still have manual gates, though). Gainsborough Central on the Barnetby to Gainbsborough line via Brigg still has semaphore signals, as does Gainsborough Trent Junction (although Trent Junction isn't publically accessible). Also, Brigg & Northorpe still have gates (Only Northorpe's is mechanical, though, as Brigg's are motorised). Stow Park on the line from Gainsborough to Lincoln as well (Saxilby still has mechanical gates, too), & Swinderby on the Lincoln to Newark line with semaphores & mechanical gates.

On the Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint line, semaphores still exist at Metheringham (Blankney Signalbox), Scopwick, Sleaford North & Sleaford South. I'm not sure on the line south of Sleaford on specific locations, but there are some. However, Spalding does not. East of Sleaford, there's Heckington & Hubbert's Bridge with semaphores & gates, and also Bellwater Junction, Wainfleet & Skegness between Boston & Skegness (Wainfleet now has lifting barriers though). West of Sleaford, there's Rauceby & Ancaster.

Hope this helps. :)

8. umontu

umontu Member

Blackpool North to Poulton-le-Fylde is semaphore.

9. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

The lines around Kidderminster - Worcester are semaphore. (I think)

Also some of the line through Yeovil Pen Mill.

10. Metroland

Metroland Established Member

Maps can be found on some of the network rail route documents in some case. For the public, the signalling study group produce a signalling atlas of the UK.

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=4624

It's 2004 so slightly out of date.

As for replacement, there are files about on the web. In some of the NR route documents, for example the West Midlands one, it gives detailed account. If you want a whole list, join the signalwatch Yahoo group, and a list is downloadable from there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SignalWatch/messages and another useful site is this

http://www.signalbox.org/forum/

As a quick list semaphore signalling can still be found in: Cornwall, around Yeovil, parts of South and West Wales, the Cotswold line, North Wales, Lincolnshire, North Norfolk and Suffolk, East Kent, around Shrewsbury and the Marches line, Banbury, Hope valley and other transpennine routes, Hull and Humberside, Central and NE Scotland, SW Scotland, Carlisle - Newcastle, Teeside area, York-Scarborough and Leeds (via Harrogate) lines, Peterborough-Syston, Derby-Stoke, Worcester area and so on.

Much of the above is due for replacement in the next few years.

11. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Kidderminster and Hartlebury go next year, the ones on the Chase line the year after, Banbury at some point in the next few years too.

12. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

The Horsham to Arundel section (Arun Valley line) is still semaphore.

13. Railsigns

Railsigns Established Member

An updated version of the "Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory" was published last year by the Signalling Record Society. Details are on their website: http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/bookstall.html#atlas It includes a few pages of maps of railways in the British Isles, colour coded to show which lines still have semaphore signals, and the locations of all the signal boxes are marked.

14. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Hamworthy features the last remaining semaphore signal on the SWML I think...

15. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

"Focus on Signalling" is a recently published 2-DVD disc set by Transport Video Publishing www.transportvideo.com which contains information on the development of semaphore signalling, a demonstration of absolute block signalling procedures at the preserved St Albans South Box and a review of the areas of the national network still signalled with semaphores. Most of these have been mentioned above.

16. francisoldfield

francisoldfield Member

bognor regis and littlehampton are still semaphore!!

17. a good off

a good off Member

Others include:

Settle - Carlisle
    Cardiff Rhmney Valley line
    Vale of Glamorgan (Barry and Aberthaw)
    Tondu
    Park Jn
    Llanelli - Carmarthen Jn line
    Pantyffynnon
    Wrexham - Dee Marsh
    Peterborough - Leicester line
    Grantham - Nottingham line
    Hereford - Worcester line
    Shrewsbury - Crewe (resignalling next year)
    Helsby
    Moreton in Marsh
    Stoke - Derby line
    York - Leeds line via Harrogate
    Cumbrian Coast line
    Highland Main line (Stirling - Perth and Perth - Aviemore
    Dundee - Aberdeen line
    GSW via Dumfries
    Stranraer line
    Newcastle - Carlisle line

Last edited: 20 Nov 2011
  18. Class172

Class172 Established Member Quizmaster

This website has quite a few pictures of semaphores.

Locations I can think of:
    Droitwich Spa
    Worcester
    Kidderminster (only for another year)
    Great Malvern
    Shrewsbury
    Moreton-in-Marsh
    Truro
    Settle & Carlisle

19. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

Worcester. aaaarrrggggghhhhhhhh
    I swear they took a load of signals up in a plane and just threw them out, wherever they landed thats where they went.

20. Class172

Class172 Established Member Quizmaster

Worcester has a very nice selection of semaphores. :)

21. Minilad

Oh they do indeed. It's just that they haven't exactly put them in the most logical places :lol:

22. newbie babs

newbie babs Member

Thanks for all the information from everyone, especially Class 172 (great web site) and Railsigns

Is there any in the North West, I am there at some point this week.

23. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Railways...logical...:shock:

I think all the ones that I am aware of have been mentioned. I will say though, I believe Leeds - Harrogate may be mainly colour light. I was up that way the other week and the only semaphore I noticed was on the York bound platform at Harrogate - in the Leeds direction it is a 3 aspect colour light signal IIRC.

Also the Barton-on-Humber branch seems to have a weird mix as before the LC coming back towards Scunthorpe I am sure I saw a colour light distant before a semaphore home.

Finally, with the resignalling of the Scarborough area, are there many sections left with semaphores on there now? The closing of the Falsgrave box took with it a lot of semaphores and I know that Malton is on colour lights too.

24. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Aside from the member who said the Blackpool lines, I can't think of any around here.

25. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

Midge Hall signal box on the Ormskirk line has a solitary semaphore on the up side approach.

Precot-Huyton junction has semaphore signalling.

Barrow in Furness is still semaphore signalled as far as I know. Some parts of the Cumbrian coast are too.

26. Steven1054

Steven1054 Member

They still have them at Skegness station, along with the box :)

27. Railsigns

Railsigns Established Member

It's very common to find colour light distant signals on lines with semaphore stop signals. Many semaphore distant signals were replaced by colour lights at greater distance from the signal box in conjunction with line speed increases or the provision of AWS, where they were found to be under-braked. Also, because they were furthest from the signal box, semaphore distant signals were usually the most difficult to operate and maintain. There are only three semaphore distant signals in the whole of Scotland (heritage lines excluded), despite there still being over fifty mechanical signal boxes.

28. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

The replacement of semaphore signals with colour light distants has been going on for many years. For example, at St Albans South we've recently found out that our distant signals were altered to colour lights in the late 1930s. Another factor for their introduction was the elimination of fogmen, as the glow of the CLS could be seen in foggy weather when the semaphore signal light wasn't visible.

29. eMeS

eMeS Member

Could semaphore signals be of less interest to metal/cable thieves?

30. Rugd1022

Rugd1022 Member

Ah, that old cliche!!! I know what you mean though XCD, but I love going to Worcester, can't get enough of those (ahem) proper signals me!

Golden rule there is you need three arms to get out of the place, just make sure you pick the right ones...! (should add I don't sign round via Foregate Street, so don't know what's beyond the triangle down that way ;)).

31. Minilad

Oh don't get me wrong I love it too. But it has been the scene of many an incident so it's always best to treat the place with respect !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.