• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signals information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anvil1984

Established Member
Railways...logical...:shock:

I think all the ones that I am aware of have been mentioned. I will say though, I believe Leeds - Harrogate may be mainly colour light. I was up that way the other week and the only semaphore I noticed was on the York bound platform at Harrogate - in the Leeds direction it is a 3 aspect colour light signal IIRC.

Also the Barton-on-Humber branch seems to have a weird mix as before the LC coming back towards Scunthorpe I am sure I saw a colour light distant before a semaphore home.

Finally, with the resignalling of the Scarborough area, are there many sections left with semaphores on there now? The closing of the Falsgrave box took with it a lot of semaphores and I know that Malton is on colour lights too.

Yeah Leeds - Harrogate line is Colour light signalling, Harrogate to Poppleton is semaphore signalling, Skelton Jn to York is lights

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah, that old cliche!!! I know what you mean though XCD, but I love going to Worcester, can't get enough of those (ahem) proper signals me!

Golden rule there is you need three arms to get out of the place, just make sure you pick the right ones...! (should add I don't sign round via Foregate Street, so don't know what's beyond the triangle down that way ;)).
There isn't as much variety on the Henwick side of the triangle but it's still good; if you haven't already found it then this may satisfy your curiosity.

Crossover

Established Member
I was surprised to see a sempahore at the north end of platform 2 of Stirling recently.

Ah yes - that has just reminded me about Sterling as I got a picture of the semaphores from across the road with a 158 (IIRC) stood in the platform there.

I do quite like semaphores - there is something nostalgic about them and in some ways are more interesting than CLS.

RE: the cable theft etc, won't they still have some copper to power the light on it anyway? Also, are any motor worked rather than the standard chains/bars?

Maxfly

Ah yes - that has just reminded me about Sterling as I got a picture of the semaphores from across the road with a 158 (IIRC) stood in the platform there.

I do quite like semaphores - there is something nostalgic about them and in some ways are more interesting than CLS.

RE: the cable theft etc, won't they still have some copper to power the light on it anyway? Also, are any motor worked rather than the standard chains/bars?

Lugton has a motor operated semaphore, there are others but I don't know where :)

Established Member
Surprised there was a semaphore in Greenford - weird seeing that in between two automatlcally controlled LUL Central Line tracks! :P
Others in London include Kew East (due to go next year), Acton Canal Wharf (only one signal left AFAIK), Neasden Junction, Dudding Hill (again only one signal, if that), Willesden Carriage Shed North and South (under the wires as well :o)

causton

Established Member
Others in London include Kew East (due to go next year), Acton Canal Wharf (only one signal left AFAIK), Neasden Junction, Dudding Hill (again only one signal, if that), Willesden Carriage Shed North and South (under the wires as well :o)

Thanks - next time I have a free afternoon and a Travelcard I'll have a look :)

PinzaC55

Railways...logical...:shock:

I think all the ones that I am aware of have been mentioned. I will say though, I believe Leeds - Harrogate may be mainly colour light. I was up that way the other week and the only semaphore I noticed was on the York bound platform at Harrogate - in the Leeds direction it is a 3 aspect colour light signal IIRC.

Also the Barton-on-Humber branch seems to have a weird mix as before the LC coming back towards Scunthorpe I am sure I saw a colour light distant before a semaphore home.

Finally, with the resignalling of the Scarborough area, are there many sections left with semaphores on there now? The closing of the Falsgrave box took with it a lot of semaphores and I know that Malton is on colour lights too.

I think I am right in saying that the NER lattice signal gantry is still in situ at the north end of Harrogate station? If so it must be last one in existence following the demise of the Scarborough one?

Crossover

Established Member
I think I am right in saying that the NER lattice signal gantry is still in situ at the north end of Harrogate station? If so it must be last one in existence following the demise of the Scarborough one?

Attached is a pic I took whilst at Harrogate a few weeks back, taken from the bridge looking north. Wouldn't call it much of a gantry, unless there is one round the corner or something. Nothing like the scale of the old Scarborough one, which was the longest of its type in mainline use in the country, I believe

Attachments

• Harrogate.jpg
    Harrogate.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 19

fordylad

On the Buxton line past hazel grove, it's semaphore all the way to Buxton, I think the freight yards around peak forest are too,

Railsigns

Established Member
Attached is a pic I took whilst at Harrogate a few weeks back, taken from the bridge looking north. Wouldn't call it much of a gantry, unless there is one round the corner or something.
There is one round the corner. You can see it from the platform end.

Hydro

Established Member
Most of the East Kent semaphores will be going soon (mainly twixt Canterbury East and Kearsney), except the few at Deal oddly which will hang on for a while. Theyre the only ones between Buckland Jn and Minster East Jn remaining and will remain so for a few years thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.