• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Significant disruption on ECML near Durham and Newark 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenBru

Arrived at Wakefield to find a 142 this now blocking platform 1 as broken down. Quite a difficult day for railway staff I should imagine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure if it's related, but just came out of the Canal Tunnels to pass a queue fof 4 x LNER plus 1 x Grand Central all awaiting platforms at Kings Cross.

The GC was in the platform at Finsbury Park.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well my train was duly cancelled but thankfully I noticed this far enough ahead to make my way to Darlington to catch the LNER half an hour before hand. It's busy but I've ended up with a bay of two to myself in 1st class, a service that is non-stop from York and with the earlier departure I'm now due to get in 40 minutes earlier than planned. Disruption? What disruption! :lol:

More seriously it does seem like everyone's been doing the best they can on a diabolical day. Train Manager seems somewhat frazzled but still has a smile on a her face despite it all and the catering crew are cheery as well! Staff at Darlington seemed to be doing their best to keep everyone updated and there was no sense of chaos on the platforms.

darloscott

Mine sort of descended into chaos, just before York we were informed that the GC unit would start at York and wait for passengers to be transferred from LNERs 1700. Sure enough we pulled into p5 and as we got off the GC pulled away from p10. Thankfully I had a word with the guard on the (late) TPE to Middlesbrough and he allowed me to travel on that back to Thornaby instead.

duffield

Established Member
Pretty chaotic at Peterborough yesterday at around 1600.
As soon as I saw what was going on I abandoned my plan to get back to Nottingham via Grantham and re-routed via Leicester using the Stansted to Birmingham cross country service, which was unaffected by the disruption.

LowLevel

Established Member
Pretty chaotic at Peterborough yesterday at around 1600.
As soon as I saw what was going on I abandoned my plan to get back to Nottingham via Grantham and re-routed via Leicester using the Stansted to Birmingham cross country service, which was unaffected by the disruption.

Peterborough to Nottingham wasn't affected bar slightly higher passenger loading with a few diverted folk.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not sure if it's related, but just came out of the Canal Tunnels to pass a queue fof 4 x LNER plus 1 x Grand Central all awaiting platforms at Kings Cross.

The GC was in the platform at Finsbury Park.

I heard there were issues with platforms being blocked at KX.

It seems to have messed me up, as my 365s home were cancelled (presumably pulled in order to relieve the pressure on KX), so fortunately having already noticed this I decided to go for a TL from London Bridge - which promptly took 35 minutes to get through the core for no obvious reason. As usual the class 9 headcodes contributed nought, as it took ages to get through Finsbury Park as well.

OMGitsDAVE

I was unfortunately caught up in this as it happened. 11:06 from Edinburgh to Penzance arrived approx 10:55 - all good. Then at 11:06 turned to 'Delayed' - however, the onboard team could not have been more helpful and kept us updated fully. We were moving from about 11:40 which isn't too bad. Luckily, I was only travelling to Berwick so unsure of the onward disruption past there!

Edders23

I thought trains to Nottingham were disrupted because of a fatality on the line between lincoln and Newark

geoffk

Established Member
"Major disruption until the end of the day", so unlikely to be a false alarm.
LNER may run via Durham coast line, according to NRE.
Oh for the Leamside line. But at least the bi-mode trains can cope with short-notice diversions (assuming gauge clearance has been done).

Established Member
To add to Transpennine's woes yesterday, there was also a points failure at Huddersfield. Between multiple cancellations and very late running of what did happen, it took me two hours longer than expected to travel from Liverpool to Leeds in the evening.

Interesting that Newark Castle - Lincoln is also impacted. I guess it happened near the crossing.
I believe the HT unit involved stopped blocking the crossing - whether it was physically blocking it or the track circuit blocking it preventing a route being set I don’t know.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I believe the HT unit involved stopped blocking the crossing - whether it was physically blocking it or the track circuit blocking it preventing a route being set I don’t know.

ok. That would make sense. Wouldn’t take much to be blocking the circuit section. Thanks.

Established Member
I was unfortunately caught up in this as it happened. 11:06 from Edinburgh to Penzance arrived approx 10:55 - all good. Then at 11:06 turned to 'Delayed' - however, the onboard team could not have been more helpful and kept us updated fully. We were moving from about 11:40 which isn't too bad. Luckily, I was only travelling to Berwick so unsure of the onward disruption past there!
Moving at about 1125...

Status
Not open for further replies.