• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silliest EU Referendum questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Purely for entertainment (no serious discussion allowed; keep that for the other thread) I invite questions which you have heard, read or thought up by yourself which are worthy only of a withering look in reply.

Here's mine for starters:

If Britain votes to leave the EU, will we get our electricity supply back up to the 240-250 Volts it was before Brussels made us drop it by 10V?

(Reminder: don't bother explaining why this is spurious. :) )

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Will leaving the EU affect the weather in the UK?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've heard that French kissing will be illegal if we leave the EU.

Antman

Established Member
Will leaving the EU affect the weather in the UK?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've heard that French kissing will be illegal if we leave the EU.

Presumably there will be no more Brussels Sprouts (great:D) and going Dutch will also be outlawed?

Quakkerillo

...or swedes, it will have to be turnips instead.

Will we have to join another continent or will we just drift around the Atlantic?

I heard the African Union is looking for new members, although they fear mass migration from Wales.

DaleCooper

Established Member
If postage rates go up French letters will cost more.

Wouldn't it be better if we stayed in the EU and made all the other countries leave?

Drogba11CFC

If we leave, will we be unable to buy packets of sweets marked "Not to be sold outside the EU"?

TheNewNo2

Might I make a suggestion that asking the people "should we leave the EU" is the silliest EU referendum question?

Gutfright

Might I make a suggestion that asking the people "should we leave the EU" is the silliest EU referendum question?

The great unwashed should not be allowed a say in the future of their own country. The British people are simply too thick to decide.

Right?

Domh245

Established Member
The great unwashed should not be allowed a say in the future of their own country. The British people are simply too thick to decide.

Right?

Wrong. There is nothing wrong with Joe Public being allowed to decide the future of their country, but the EU is such a vast thing that very few people understand it. Choosing to vote either way in a referendum which will have a massive impact on the future of the country, where both sides have 'campaigned' on a program of lies, deceit and mud-slinging (although perhaps not to the same extent) probably isn't the smartest idea.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
That's far too sensible for this thread, I'm afraid. :D

Kindly edit your post by appending a suitably fatuous question.

TheNewNo2

Right?

It's not a matter of being "thick", but we are certainly uninformed. The EU is a massive undertaking, and very very few members of the general public understand it.

The simple fact is we have people who are paid to understand it - we call them MPs. It is their job to understand the things that the general public are generally too busy to go into details over and decide what is best for the country. Be that about the EU, transport policy, the NHS, etc. Now, we have regular chances to say whether we like the general policy views of the MPs - we call them elections. Elections allow the choice between broad preferences of the public - do we want more taxes or less spending, do we want to prioritise police or schools. That sort of thing, the broad strokes of policy, the general public are knowledgable enough to weigh in on. But we the public do not understand the structure of the EU, we don't understand how it affects us, we don't understand the byzantine systems of it. How, if we don't understand it, are we in a position to vote intelligently on it?

Trog

Established Member
How, if we don't understand it, are we in a position to vote intelligently on it?

There was something on the radio as I drove home, about how people make decisions, one of the ways people use to decide a complicated question is to consider a simpler question based on related data.

For example you could consider that as both Corbyn and Camereon are in favour of staying in, and that you would not trust either of them to run a whelk stall. :idea: It is therefore logical that voting out is the sensible option.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
There was something on the radio as I drove home, about how people make decisions, one of the ways people use to decide a complicated question is to consider a simpler question based on related data.

For example you could consider that as both Corbyn and Camereon are in favour of staying in, and that you would not trust either of them to run a whelk stall. :idea: It is therefore logical that voting out is the sensible option.

Yes, but the problem with that logic is that it leads to "Hitler hated smoking and was a vegetarian, therefore both of those things are bad."

Status
Not open for further replies.