• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silly season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
It looks like silly season has arrived down this way.
Yesterday {monday}, somebody jumped off the footbridge next to Mount Pleasant level crossing, i believe a freight train hit them, but they survived.
Then tonight/this morning {02:30}, less than 10 minutes after i left an access point, somebody threw themselves off the bridge. I don't no how people knew what had happened, but when i got back at 04:00, he had just been lifted up from the track to the road and was being loaded into the ambulance.
I went back to the depot, got changed and washed up, then made my way home. When i got to the motorway, the ambulance was gently {about 30mph} making it's way to the nearest hospital at Cosham, it had blue lights going, so i presume he was still alive {he was alive when they lifted him up from the track}

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Steve, I was stuck at Waterloo for about half an hour following that incident. The 1200 Weymouth - London Waterloo was delayed by about an hour from Southampton Airport and arrived at Waterloo 19 minutes after it was going to depart back to Bournemouth on the 1635, eventually departed 30 minutes late and arrived at Bournemouth just ahead of the 1705!

Death

Established Member
Afternoon! <D
The thing that really gets to me about railway suicide is that the people who do it obviously don't give a crap about the driver, trackside personnel, paramedic, and police crews that have to deal with it all afterwards! After all...Some poor sod's got to clean up that mess! <(

If people really HAVE to commit suicide on the railway, at least choose a line with unsupervised ATO trains on it! After all, a computer won't give two shakes about hitting someone, unlike the poor drivers who will remember that kind of thing for the rest of their lives! :(

Alternatively, if someone really wants to Die, feel free to give 'em my phone number! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If people really HAVE to commit suicide on the railway, at least choose a line with unsupervised ATO trains on it! After all, a computer won't give two shakes about hitting someone, unlike the poor drivers who will remember that kind of thing for the rest of their lives! :(
Problem is that won't really solve the problem unless robots can be trained to identify the body and deal with the mess...

It's not just drivers who are affected.

Richmond

Afternoon! <D
The thing that really gets to me about railway suicide is that the people who do it obviously don't give a crap about the driver, trackside personnel, paramedic, and police crews that have to deal with it all afterwards! After all...Some poor sod's got to clean up that mess! <(

Alternatively, if someone really wants to Die, feel free to give 'em my phone number! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

The fact of the matter is that people who take their own lives aren't really thinking about the driver or anyone else, they have one thing on their minds and that is to finish it.

trains2

I'm not surprised they survived. Train involved was 4O51 which was (unusually) a 66 instead of the usual 57, but wouldn't have been going great gusto as there's a 25mph limit within 100m of that crossing, so guessing at about 40mph across the crossing isn't going to do as much damage as 75mph.

I remember a suicide at Winchester last year involving 66708, took him right out, not nice. I was planning on going out to St. Denys for the day, and I would've popped down to Mount Pleasant to get some nice afternoon shots, I'm glad I didn't, not something I'd like to witness.

TheSlash

Established Member
Mount Pleasant isn't a very nice area at anytime of the day, i certainly wouldn't go down there with expensive stuff like cameras

Nick W

Established Member

The lines with ATO are the most difficult lines to get onto for that very reason. And if someone tries to jump in front of a train at the station, someone's likely to use the emg stop button on the platform.

What about the people sitting at the front in the case of the DLR?

Death

Established Member
Ooops... <D
Looks like I forgot to see the whole picture before posting again! (Sorry, it happens a lot in my case! :|)

I've seen a couple of dramatised one unders (With blood/gore included) and I have to say that they didn't faze me too much...But in a real life incident I can't honestly say how I would react. I've seen what was left of someone's hand after a train went over that, and most would consider that alone to be something less than pleasant. On the morbidly funny side though, apparently it was his primary hand, so I dread to think what it must've been like when he was sexually frustrated! Serves him right for tresspassing where he shouldn't! :toothy10:

As for Nicks mention of the DLR: As the train is supervised and dispatched by a train captain, I would personally consider that to be "semi" ATO...As opposed to "full" ATO where the computer handles everything from driving, through door operation, right down to the temperature of the ACU. I've seen these systems in use here and there (Mainly at airports) although whether they're used for mass commuter transit (I.E: LuL) applicationbs, I couldn't tell you. :)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

TheSlash

Established Member
Apparently the guy from my nightshift wasn't a suicide. He was ****ed and was sitting or standing on the bridge parapet, when between him and his friend, he fell off and onto the track. He claims his coat contained alot of money, but it hasn't been found.
All very suspicious to me :glasses2:

compsci

During times when suicides/drunkenness are more likely (Friday and Saturday nights as the train captain told me) the train captain on the DLR sits at the front with the big red button in easy reach.

trains2

Another one bites the dust, Shawford 0850 this morning. If he ran infront of a train from the extended walkway at the south of the station it's almost certain that'll go, which would be damn annoying cos it's a great vantage point. Trains are running through slowly but not stopping, assume incident was on P2 side, and southbound trains are running through P3.

TheSlash

Established Member
We saw at least 1 up and 1 down 10 Wes via Fareham, possibly a 10 444 aswell, it certainly put strain on the Netley road due to the large and few signal sections

Status
Not open for further replies.