• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silly silly me

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I would like to point out, a friend of mine traveled on the same evening, we both got stopped and he refused to give out any identification, when ask for ID he said he was not carrying any.
A different officer went through the same questions as he did with me but he did not have a body camera as did the one that was questioning me.

He has not heard anything from TIL or ATW.

Did you friend provide them with his name and address?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I would like to point out, a friend of mine traveled on the same evening, we both got stopped and he refused to give out any identification, when ask for ID he said he was not carrying any.
A different officer went through the same questions as he did with me but he did not have a body camera as did the one that was questioning me.

He has not heard anything from TIL or ATW.

Which highlights the disparity in the way these things are dealt with.

I was at Sittingbourne one Saturday evening and a group of boisterous 'lads' were clearly surprised to see the ticket gates in use and revenue staff present, one claimed that they had travelled from Newington, the previous station. It was pointed out that the train they had got off hadn't stopped at Newington, "oh s**t that didn't work" came the reply to roars of laughter. They then confessed to having travelled from Gillingham and paid the appropriate fare but their attempt to avoid the full payment was just laughed off by revenue staff, no names and addresses were asked for, no threats of prosecutions etc.

baz962

Established Member

I was at Sittingbourne one Saturday evening and a group of boisterous 'lads' were clearly surprised to see the ticket gates in use and revenue staff present, one claimed that they had travelled from Newington, the previous station. It was pointed out that the train they had got off hadn't stopped at Newington, "oh s**t that didn't work" came the reply to roars of laughter. They then confessed to having travelled from Gillingham and paid the appropriate fare but their attempt to avoid the full payment was just laughed off by revenue staff, no names and addresses were asked for, no threats of prosecutions etc.

Maybe being a group and being "Rowdy" The revenue staff thought it would be less hassle rather than confrontational.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Trying to short fare is an endemic local tradition in South Wales and the operator is trying to deal with it with a zero tolerance approach. It might not be an issue in Sussex so is looked on differently by staff/ instruction form Managers.

Antman

Established Member
Trying to short fare is an endemic local tradition in South Wales and the operator is trying to deal with it with a zero tolerance approach. It might not be an issue in Sussex so is looked on differently by staff/ instruction form Managers.

I think it's probably endemic everywhere quite honestly, a lot of people seem to regard trains as a free service particularly in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.