• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silly unit names

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Northern unit 150133 in the blue livery and gold stars, on hire to silverlink has been named wait for it Northern star, by silverlink the unit has been out of service for about a week due to severe wheel flats,(unit involved in a spad on the marston vale line), it only came back from Tyseley yesterday or the day before, and has been named using one of the silly bright green Desiro style name plates, which infact is just a sticker. I was just thinking what other silly unit names are there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

16CSVT2700

Established Member
175107 Coronation Street Rovers Return

Must be a right saddo to name it after a crap TV programme..

Established Member
321420 known as "Panda Unit" by most local bashers. Top livery that was!
Is 150133 back out?

westcoaster

Established Member
it was parked on the fuelling road last night at bly tmd,not working today so dont know, it depends if 5b07 ran last night, if it did then it should be out today.

Gizmogle

Established Member
142073 is called Myfanwy
Shame there isn't a Daffyd.
The only gay train in the village lol

richa2002

Established Member
Northern unit 150133 in the blue livery and gold stars, on hire to silverlink has been named wait for it Northern star, by silverlink the unit has been out of service for about a week due to severe wheel flats,(unit involved in a spad on the marston vale line), it only came back from Tyseley yesterday or the day before, and has been named using one of the silly bright green Desiro style name plates, which infact is just a sticker. I was just thinking what other silly unit names are there.
I don't think that name is silly at all. If I recall correctly this name was carried by a Britannia steam loco? Better than something like "Northern, Transforming Travel" :roll:.

Jordy

Established Member
IIRC There is (or was) a 175 called 'Mum'!

(Yes I know this was posted by Chaz, but being under moderation his post didnt appear until after I posted this ;))

westcoaster

Established Member
when i ment silly i was refering to the name northern star and the livery of the unit being the same, its not very original and not in keeping of the 150 names that silverlink currently have, which all have something to do with the lines they operate on, i got a picture of the name plate last night but dont know how to put it on here, any help?

Z12XE

Another silly name was on 153314 - Delia Smith.

I always thought the story of the Ipswich fans getting upset by it during a Ipswich Town and Naarich City Derby match when 314 was on a service taking Ipswich fans to the game.

Afterall the unit was a 153, the fact it was called Delia Smith should have been the least of their worries!

Bonemaster

Another silly name was on 153314 - Delia Smith.

I always thought the story of the Ipswich fans getting upset by it during a Ipswich Town and Naarich City Derby match when 314 was on a service taking Ipswich fans to the game.

Afterall the unit was a 153, the fact it was called Delia Smith should have been the least of their worries!

Its a sensible name especially given that it was down to a Look East viewers poll to pick which names the 150s and 153s got must have been equally bad having Sir Alf Ramsey taking Norwich fans to the game but the public said that Delia was a true East Anglian legend (lets face it there arnt that many to pick from) and should therefore be adorned on the side of a unit.

My 5 worst names for units have to be

Dr Who, The Tamar Kingfisher, Mum, Transforming Travel, and Silver Service

westcoaster

Established Member
silver service is a 321 in our fleet,silver service is suppose to be an award/ points for good customer service, you can recieve a bronze/silver/gold award, glad to say i dont have one.

metrocammel

Why exactly is it called Mum? :confused:

I think it was somthing to do with the "mum of the year" thingy.... I remember it being named on the north-west news ages ago- and it was by some mother whose daughter was ill or somthing.... IIRC, the news clip showed a 101 on it... so it shows how long ago it was...

T

Tom

Same reason for 2416s name that one, Mum in a Million 1999 - Doreen Scanlon....

thefab444

Established Member
I think it's Mum in a Million 1996... or was it 1997?

I remember I used to think it was Father in a Thousand Gerry Newson; but I'm told there's a plaque in the MBLS dedicating it to a SR worker... don't often see 2424 myself... always get damn 2413!!

Status
Not open for further replies.