• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silver jubilee 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Class 47s 47163 and 47164 were both painted with giant Union flags (and were normally used on Liverpool Street - Norwich services)

There was also a big tour of the country using the royal train, which got some new carriages for the royal train in 1977 (including some converted from the prototype HST). I vaguely remember it collecting the Queen from Brockenhurst after a drive through New Forest. EDIT this was 1979

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
The new Royal Train was introduced in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee celebrations. It was first used on a trip to Scotland in May 1977. In particular it meant that Royal Train locos had to be ETH not steam heat!

The 0745 Kings Cross-Edinburgh and 1500 Edinburgh-Kings Cross were named "Silver Jubilee" and carried a headboard. This was a nod to the LNER's Silver Jubilee train in 1935.

47163 and 47164 were the genesis of the Stratford silver roof tradition.

greyman42

Established Member
The 0745 Kings Cross-Edinburgh and 1500 Edinburgh-Kings Cross were named "Silver Jubilee" and carried a headboard. This was a nod to the LNER's Silver Jubilee train in 1935.
Does anyone know the stopping patterns of these services? I seem to remember that the southbound service stopped at Dunbar but not at York which was unusual.

Magdalia

Established Member
Does anyone know the stopping patterns of these services? I seem to remember that the southbound service stopped at Dunbar but not at York which was unusual.
0745 KX-Edinburgh called pick up only at Stevenage, then York, Darlington and Newcastle.
1500 Edinburgh-KX called Dunbar, Newcastle, Darlington and set down only at Stevenage.

alholmes

A 6-car 313 excursion train was operated from Hitchin to Moorgate (possibly two trains), the first passenger electric service from Hitchin.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 0745 KGX-EDB was Stevenage (pick-up only) York, Darlington, Newcastle, arr. Edinburgh 1320

The 1500 EDB-KGX was Dunbar, Newcastle, Darlington and Stevenage (set-down only), arr. King's Cross 2037.

The set was formed BFK-4 SO-RB-2 FO-BFK. The RB replaced an RKB when the service was named.

Not calling at York on several London/Edinburgh trains was actually surprisingly common from steam into HST days. The original ECML HST stopping pattern for example.

John Luxton

Established Member
BR ran a Ramblers Association sponsored excursion from Liverpool to Cumbrian Coast, which included calls at Ravenglass.

My I saw it as an opportunity to make my first visit to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. R&ER had a two car diesel railcar decked out in Silver Jubilee livery.

I am not sure if it was first commissioned for the Silver Jubilee or had existed earlier.

It later saw service at Liverpool Garden Festival by which time it had been repainted.

Only been to Ravenglass about three times since then.

Anyone know what happened to the railcar? does not appear to be on their Wikipedia fleet list

hexagon789

Veteran Member
BR ran a Ramblers Association sponsored excursion from Liverpool to Cumbrian Coast, which included calls at Ravenglass.

My I saw it as an opportunity to make my first visit to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. R&ER had a two car diesel railcar decked out in Silver Jubilee livery.

I am not sure if it was first commissioned for the Silver Jubilee or had existed earlier.

It later saw service at Liverpool Garden Festival by which time it had been repainted.

Only been to Ravenglass about three times since then.

Anyone know what happened to the railcar? does not appear to be on their Wikipedia fleet list
It was all converted to hauled stock in about 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.