• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Silverlink livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a nice nostalgic look at network Southeast.net. Considering it was called Silverlink, its a bit odd the livery was purple green and yellow. Logic would suggest that silver would be a dominant feature, surely a bit of a brand error?? Was there a reason for this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

I'm having a nice nostalgic look at network Southeast.net. Considering it was called Silverlink, its a bit odd the livery was purple green and yellow. Logic would suggest that silver would be a dominant feature, surely a bit of a brand error?? Was there a reason for this?
Quite a few franchises at the start of privatisation had very bright over-the-top colour schemes to grab attention for the new privatised system, so Silverlink probably went for the scheme to make themselves look interesting. If Silverlink was a thing now, however, I'm certain the livery would be silver.

However, it might also have been to differentiate with Virgin Trains who went with silver later on, but this depends whether the design of the livery was created before and after renders/illustrations of the Pendolino were realeased.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
However, it might also have been to differentiate with Virgin Trains who went with silver later on, but this depends whether the design of the livery was created before and after renders/illustrations of the Pendolino were realeased.

Long before. Initial plans for the Pendolino were for a black and red livery similar to the LHCS.

I believe, FWIW, Silverlink were first to highlight doors, which has now become mandatory.

Taunton

Established Member
A number of these newly formed companies took their names just from the lists of ready-formed companies available from accountants, rather than a deliberate name choice. You can often recognise them, typically they are formed of two common words joined together to make a meaningless word. Badgerline buses in Somerset in the 1990s was another example. If your name is at all meaningful it must have some accuracy to what you are doing, so "Worldwide Airlines" would not be allowed for a train company, but invented words are fine.

bramling

Veteran Member
Long before. Initial plans for the Pendolino were for a black and red livery similar to the LHCS.

I believe, FWIW, Silverlink were first to highlight doors, which has now become mandatory.

Being pedantic, London Underground were doing doors in different colours from the late 80s/early 90s. Not sure if accessibility was part of the thinking however.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Being pedantic, London Underground were doing doors in different colours from the late 80s/early 90s. Not sure if accessibility was part of the thinking however.

If not before the excellent "Orsman" livery - e.g red doors on silver Jubilee line trains.

Bishopstone

Established Member
A number of these newly formed companies took their names just from the lists of ready-formed companies available from accountants, rather than a deliberate name choice. You can often recognise them, typically they are formed of two common words joined together to make a meaningless word. Badgerline buses in Somerset in the 1990s was another example.

However, changing a company name is simple and inexpensive, so we must conclude that someone thought Silverlink and Badgerline sounded like good brands.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I always wondered this too; Silverlink would have been an excellent opportunity for silver trains. Although I suspect they would rapidly have become just grey.

Doomotron

However, changing a company name is simple and inexpensive, so we must conclude that someone thought Silverlink and Badgerline sounded like good brands.
Wasn't Silverlink originally known as North London Trains or something to that effect?

Doomotron

Originally North London Railways then Silverlink Train Services (to give the full names).
So I guess early franchises' names were based on the location, then changed, as c2c was originally LTS Rail as well.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So I guess early franchises' names were based on the location, then changed, as c2c was originally LTS Rail as well.
And before that the shadow franchises run by BR pending sale also were. So we had Intercity East Coat, Regional Railways North East and Network SouthCentral.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A number of these newly formed companies took their names just from the lists of ready-formed companies available from accountants, rather than a deliberate name choice.

Indeed - I doubt that the fact that the name had the word "silver" in it and the livery did not have silver as a colour even entered their heads!

Status
Not open for further replies.