• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simple Computing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

Right

Im getting my new laptop computer tomorrow.

What I would like to know is how do i get all my files from this computer, to my new laptop? what are the best methods?

ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
You have a couple of options:

Burn all your files onto CD/DVD.

Set up a simple home network and copy all the files you want into the shared documents folder on your laptop. Then you can move them to the relevant places. Setting up a network is pretty straight forward. If you have a router you can do it though that, or you can just connect both computers directly with a network cable. Then you need to make sure both computers are on the same workgroup (system properties) and maybe tweak your firewall settings.

Windows also has a built in file transfer program, but I would advice using one of the other methods.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
My laptop turned up today except I wasn't here damn it! comes again tomorow, and I'm going to move my stuff across via ethernet, much faster than any other method and simple.

The Gricer

One thing I would add to Craig's post is that if you use the 'direct connection by network cable' method, make sure you use a crossover cable.
Also instead of moving all required files to the 'shared files' folder you could temporarily make the whole C: drive on the old computer a shared drive. Then you could access any files from the new pc and move them across. (Except perhaps for anything in 'My Documents' if you are using NTFS rather that FAT).

Frank

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
The Gricer said:
One thing I would add to Craig's post is that if you use the 'direct connection by network cable' method, make sure you use a crossover cable.

Frank

good point! lol, I use that for my network currently so don't have a problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.