• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simple Northern delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

I travelled from Chesterfield to Sheffield on the 06:53 on 16th December, and arrived 16 minutes late. Northern claim the delay was 11 minutes, which seems quite a big discrepancy.

The original claim and subsequent appeal were rejected and I spoke to Customer Relations who checked with a manager too and all confirm the delay was 11 minutes and there's no claim...

Is there a way to pursue this? Or, is their data really off by 5 minutes? I remember taking the screenshot of NRE as the train was just arriving (it's the top service in the screenshot), so would be surprised if they had really recorded 11 minutes. The only thing I can see is that the train eventually departed Sheffield 11 minutes late, but surely DR is calculated on arrival?

https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Service?ServiceId=69683708

liGuUOgl.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

Resubmit as a complaint. Ontimetrains also states 16 minutes late and delay repay may be due.

lyesbkz

I'm having real trouble with Northern, I must spend hours chasing these up. They already routinely reject almost all of my claims saying I could have taken the CrossCountry service at 07:03, despite the fact I use advance tickets and explain this on the Delay Repay form. I have to fill in an appeal every time, and often those are rejected as well and I have to call Customer Relations. It seems a bit unreasonable but they aren't interested in discussing more than one claim at a time and won't acknowledge the overall complaint which is that I'm having to do this several times a week. They just ask for another claim number

Bertie the bus

Established Member
If you look on opentraintimes it arrived at Sheffield 16 minutes and departed 11 minutes late.

It looks like the people involved aren't deliberately rejecting your claim but just don't have the skill, training or understanding to process it correctly. It might be worthwhile replying with the above information as they should obviously be using the arrival time and not the departure one.

lyesbkz

If you look on opentraintimes it arrived at Sheffield 16 minutes and departed 11 minutes late.

It looks like the people involved aren't deliberately rejecting your claim but just don't have the skill, training or understanding to process it correctly. It might be worthwhile replying with the above information as they should obviously be using the arrival time and not the departure one.

Thanks, this is what I suggested on the phone to Customer Relations and that's when they went to get the manager, came back, and said the manager had said the same thing (their system says it's 11 minutes late and that'll be why it rejected the claim). This is what's really frustrating

Also the fact there's no evidence I can send them which they will look at, as I understand that the data they look at isn't publicly available.

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks, this is what I suggested on the phone to Customer Relations and that's when they went to get the manager, came back, and said the manager had said the same thing (their system says it's 11 minutes late and that'll be why it rejected the claim). This is what's really frustrating

Also the fact there's no evidence I can send them which they will look at, as I understand that the data they look at isn't publicly available.

You cna use RealTimeTrains with the screenshot I'll post below. Ignore the '+12' delay on the right hand side as that is based on the departure time (Which is where the whole issue is coming from). You can clearly see an arrival time of 07:00 (booked) and actual arrival time of 07:26 in Sheffield, thus making your claim valid.

Failing all of this, send a letter of deadlock if they still refuse to appropriately recompense you, then go to the Rail Ombudsman.

(The screenshot below is from RealTimeTrains of the service in question on the 16/12/19, backing up the OP's claim of a 16 minute delay):

Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 4.52.21 pm.png

_toommm_

Established Member
Also, please do keep us updated as to how you get on. If you need any help further down the line, one of us will be able to help you!

Bertie the bus

Established Member

There is publicly available evidence you can send. If you are communicating electronically you can send them this link - https://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/Y57576/2019-12-16

My suggestion would be try one more time. If you still get nowhere and feel strongly enough about it, which I wouldn't blame you if you did when you say they do it to you quite regularly, then make a formal complaint. That way, if you still don't get a satisfactory resolution you can escalate to Transport Focus. It might seem like a lot of effort for not much money but there is always the hope that if Transport Focus get involved they might train their staff a bit better.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I travelled from Chesterfield to Sheffield on the 06:53 on 16th December, and arrived 16 minutes late. Northern claim the delay was 11 minutes, which seems quite a big discrepancy.

The original claim and subsequent appeal were rejected and I spoke to Customer Relations who checked with a manager too and all confirm the delay was 11 minutes and there's no claim...

Is there a way to pursue this? Or, is their data really off by 5 minutes? I remember taking the screenshot of NRE as the train was just arriving (it's the top service in the screenshot), so would be surprised if they had really recorded 11 minutes. The only thing I can see is that the train eventually departed Sheffield 11 minutes late, but surely DR is calculated on arrival?

https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Service?ServiceId=69683708

liGuUOgl.png

Given the other comments below I reckon you are near needing to go to the Ombudsman if there is this level of ridiculousness going on with such a claim, esp if in theory a 'manager' reviewed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.