• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SimSig] Common mistakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi guys,

I've noticed quite a few common mistakes that a number of people make, and I'd like to help us all improve our performance by point out what I've observed.

1) Problem:
VW2 - Often ECS/freight gets put on the Down Slow, instead of the Down Goods at Holloway.

Cause:
Probably person on VW2 not checking VW1 for incoming trains

Solution:
Person on VW2 to check VW1 (as well as VW3) for incoming trains; person on VW1 to provide advance warning.

2) Problem:
VW4 - Slow trains on the Down fast Potters Bar (this causes Cambridge Cruisers to get delayed and often the semi-fast itself is delayed for the Cruiser to overtake at Welwyn causing both trains to be late)

Cause:
Probably person on VW4 not checking VW3 for incoming trains, or due to late running of stopping trains.

Solution:
Person on VW4 to check VW3 (as well as VW5) for incoming trains; de-select automatic on the signal on the down fast into Potters Bar prior to the train preceding the semi fast passing so that the route automatically cancels behind the preceding train ready for the stopper to cross to the slow lines.

3) Problem:
VW4 - Slow trains on the Up slow south of Potters Bar

Cause: Probably the person on VW4 forgetting that they've just sent a stopper on the down slow and the semi-fast is going to get stuck behind it

Solution:
de-select automatic on the signal on the up slow out of Potters Bar prior to the train preceding the semi fast passing. Ditto for the up fast (normally a GNER will pass Potters Bar about a minute before the semi fast is due to depart and follow the GNER).

4) Problem:
Trains arriving in the wrong order at Moorgate, messes up Moorgate ARS and causes problems for the person on VW1. This is particularly so on my 'enhanced' timetable ;)

Cause:
Often poor regulation at Alexandra Palace.

Solution:
Check which train (ex Hertford vs ex Welwyn) is due into Alexandra Palace first and set the route accordingly. If a train is 3-4 minutes late, it should still go in front (there is some slack between Finsbury Park and Moorgate), even if it means holding a train before the junction.

5) Problem:
Gridlock at Gordon Hill or Hertford North

Cause: Person on VW6 not paying attention or not reading timetables correctly

Solution: Reversals at Gordon Hill to use the bay platform always. Reversals at Hertford vary - check timetables, if in doubt ask the host.

6) Problem:
1Pxx trains that call Hitchin being given the down fast at Hitchin

Cause:
Probably failure to read the timetable and assumption that Class 1 trains do not call Hitchin.

Solution:
Check timetable. Off-peak all 1Pxx trains call Hitchin. At peak times, some do, but some don't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ikar

I have found a few common mistakes when playing multiplayer mostly arround VW5

-The person often signals trains towards Bigleswade C, R and T trains, Which I often repeat mean: C=Cambrigde, R=Royston/Letchorth and T=King's Lynn

-The person often Signals a ECS for Sdgs at Letchworth towards Royston, because He didn't check the TT and Interpose new H/C

-Person on VW3 often forgots about trains on US before Alexandra Pallace 'coz they are going from the lower part to the upper.

-Generaly if the train doesn't stop anywhere, Send it on FL.

-Dont make delays 'coz there's a WAGN before GNER on FL, the line speed from Welwyn towards KX is little over 100mph so he wont make a delay.

P.S. We could list common mistakes for every game (Bristol, NLL etc.)

taw valley

yorkie said:
4)
Problem:
Trains arriving in the wrong order at Moorgate, messes up Moorgate ARS and causes problems for the person on VW1. This is particularly so on my 'enhanced' timetable ;)

Cause:

Solution:
Check which train (ex Hertford vs ex Welwyn) is due into Alexandra Palace first and set the route accordingly. If a train is 3-4 minutes late, it should still go in front (there is some slack between Finsbury Park and Moorgate), even if it means holding a train before the junction.

that could be the fualt of vw3 as what do you do on vw2 to move trains around and loop them?

richa2002

Established Member
yorkie said:
1) Problem:
VW2 - Often ECS/freight gets put on the Down Slow, instead of the Down Goods at Holloway.

Cause:
Probably person on VW2 not checking VW1 for incoming trains

Solution:
Person on VW2 to check VW1 (as well as VW3) for incoming trains; person on VW1 to provide advance warning.
Wonder who's ever done that ;)

Jim

Established Member
The main problem I have found on VW5 recently, is not checking the TT. Yorkie or whoever made it for a reason READ IT:confused:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ikar said:
TT for VW5 is not needed unless you are begginer... But I see from headcodes where train stops. etc.
Wow! I can't believe you have the headcodes of the fast WAGNs memorised! Even I don't! (although I suppose I could if I really wanted to..)

So you know from memory which trains are fast from King's Cross to St Neots?! Impressive if so!

ikar

yorkie said:
Wow! I can't believe you have the headcodes of the fast WAGNs memorised! Even I don't! (although I suppose I could if I really wanted to..)

So you know from memory which trains are fast from King's Cross to St Neots?! Impressive if so!

Not for every train but generaly headcodes go from lower for fast trains, mid for semies, and higher for slows.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ikar said:
Not for every train but generaly headcodes go from lower for fast trains, mid for semies, and higher for slows.
I don't think so.;)

For example, 1P72 :p

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
4) Problem:
Trains arriving in the wrong order at Moorgate, messes up Moorgate ARS and causes problems for the person on VW1. This is particularly so on my 'enhanced' timetable

Cause:

Solution:

A better solution:
Send the ON-TIME train first so it won't delay. And use your head at Moorgate. If needed change it's turn.

For me always goes: The on-time train first. A delayed train has lost it's slot.

ikar

Holland on Rail said:
A better solution:
Send the ON-TIME train first so it won't delay. And use your head at Moorgate. If needed change it's turn.

For me always goes: The on-time train first. A delayed train has lost it's slot.

Agree with that, it's deffinatly easier to swap diagrams at Moorgate than have all trains 5-10 late

Tomnick

Established Member
It's not really ideal to be swapping diagrams just to save a couple of minutes - think of all the issues that'd cause later, in the real world, with sets ending up in the wrong places for maintenance requirements etc! If it means holding an on-time train just a couple of minutes, then I'd say go for it...shouldn't cause too much delay (which is recoverable in most cases anyway) and it makes life a lot easier!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The problem at Moorgate is that you only have 2 platforms.

If you send a train for platform 9, then the train due 5 mins later for platform 10 is running late and you have a train due for platform 9 that is on time, letting the on time train out first may result in it waiting at Moorgate for the correct platform (further delaying the train behind), or you will need to swap platforms (thus messing up ARS and meaning the following train needs a platform alteration).

There is no easy answer, but with the timetable I use the Moorgate trains are very frequent and there is plenty of slack between Finsbury and Moorgate, so if a train is around 5-6 mins late it is worth delaying an on time train so they arrive in the right order. If it's 7 or more mins late (and the other is on time) then it may be best to put the on time train first, but it will need to be delt with at Moorgate.

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
As I see it, the delayed train will ALWAYS have its platform becouse no other train is booked for the platform before arrival. Even when the on-time train runs infront of it. In this case it would only be tricky wich train will depart from Moorgate first. The delayed train cant turn around in just a minute. So sometimes you are forced to send out the on-time train first. In this case the delayed train will still have +3 or something like that, but with a bit of skill discretion it will arrive on-time at the end of its leg.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Holland on Rail said:
As I see it, the delayed train will ALWAYS have its platform becouse no other train is booked for the platform before arrival.
If you send the delayed train first, yep.

Holland on Rail said:
Even when the on-time train runs infront of it.
Depends on the platform utilisation at the time. If the on time train has slack and is due to wait outside Moorgate for a platform for 2 minutes, that just further delays the train behind. You can put the on time train into the delayed trains platform (by overriding ARS) but then you have a situation where ARS becomes useless as you have constant platform alterations.

Depending on who is controlling Moorgate and how many other areas they are controlling, it may not affect things much.

Status
Not open for further replies.