• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simsig problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmanl

Whenever there is a points failure or something similar, what is the best procedure to take? Do I cancel the train which needs to use the points and is holding up a huge backlog or is it best to re-route the train someway? If it is best to re-route can anyone give any pointers as I cannot seem to be able to do it, despite reading and re-reading the manual several times! <(:|

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
For re-routing you need a route to re-route over. What sim are you on and where is the points fail. You can't re-route in every circumstance

nickmanl

Hi Liam, thanks for the quick response.

In this case it is the points between Acton Wells Junction and Willesden SWS, coming from Action East Jn. It is on the NLL! I also had it on the drain just outside waterloo station and obviously couldn't do anything else on it with the points faulty so shut down the game!

tubenutter

In that particular scenario on the NLL, I can't see an obvious way to reroute the train. So you'd have to think of something else to do with it (possibly remove the train if you want an easy but unrealistic way out).

On the drain, when the points fail on the crossover at Bank, or in the depot such that I cannot reverse trains at Waterloo, I do either of these two things, depending on what i feel like:

a) suspend the service, and begin again when the points failure clears.
b) run a shuttle-style train between, for example platform 7 at Bank and platform 26 at Waterloo (by taking the train off timetable). I doubt they would use this option in real life, though.

David

Established Member
The points have set, so you can SPAD every train past until you get the phone call saying they're fixed. You just need to check the route of each train, and cancel the route after it's passed.

The points have set, so you can SPAD every train past until you get the phone call saying they're fixed. You just need to check the route of each train, and cancel the route after it's passed.

What about if a train needs to take the other turnoff?

for that I'd recommend editing the trains TT and turn them back at the station before...

tubenutter

I think what David was saying is that, (though i may be wrong!) once points have failed, in the position that isnt working the points keep flashing on the display but they have infact been safely set. With this in mind, you can SPAD trains over the points even though they look like they haven't been set.

Freight trains can't be turned back at stations, and not all stations can handle reversing trains.

nickmanl

Cheers for the responses people! It is much appreciated! At least I have a few ideas I can mess around with now for next time it happens.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... once points have failed, in the position that isnt working the points keep flashing on the display but they have infact been safely set. With this in mind, you can SPAD trains over the points even though they look like they haven't been set.....
If they're flashing the points are NOT set for the route you want.

If you change the points and they stop flashing, then they are set safely.

Tomnick

Established Member
'Flashing points' indicate that the points are 'out of correspondence' or 'wrong' - i.e. they've not detected normal/reverse. They could well be safe to pass over - if, say, there's been a failure of the detection equipment. On the other hand, you might have an obstruction stopping the switch rail getting anywhere near the stock rail! You've got no way of knowing, so you shouldn't really pass trains over them until they've been clipped and scotched in the required position, by someone on site. Even then, you probably won't get detection - so they'll continue to flash and you'll have to talk the train past the protecting signal once you've had confirmation that they're clipped.

That's where the problem lies - you'll be waiting a long time to get that confirmation in Simsig!

nutter

I've started a thread on the simsig forums relating to this (Under the username Grinch).

I asked if you could get a call from technicians when they get on site, and then you can call them up to ask for the points to be changed and secured.

Varible phone calls would make it much more interesting, especially if we can get something aong the lines of the NRN or/and CSR in corperated, although I have a feeling these are some of the special extras NWR get with their software

Tomnick

Established Member
This was how I interpreted David's post.

I can't see what he meant, if that wasn't it though.
That's how I interpreted it too - however, you don't know whether they're 'safe' or not...if you've not got detection in the required position, you need to assume that they're not safe to pass traffic over until you know otherwise!

Juniper Driver

Established Member
On the drain, when the points fail on the crossover at Bank, or in the depot such that I cannot reverse trains at Waterloo, I do either of these two things, depending on what i feel like:

a) suspend the service, and begin again when the points failure clears.
b) run a shuttle-style train between, for example platform 7 at Bank and platform 26 at Waterloo (by taking the train off timetable). I doubt they would use this option in real life, though.

I seem to remember doing single line working between platform 8 and 25 before LT took the line over.

Peter Barrett

How do you successfully manage to save a simulation on simsig. I have tried to save a game with no luck. I also had to abort Westbury sim because OC29 leaves Whatley Quarry but it refuses to move through its route. It should reverse and run through Frome but it seems impossible for this to happen any ideas! Help much appreciated on these two topics

I do not have a signal diagram but if someone can describe the route I will follow

Regards

Peter Barrett

Last edited:

P156KWJ

Established Member
IIRC to make the train reverse you click F2 (or whatever the train list is), select that train, right click, and select 'reverse direction' inder 'signalling operations'.

LilLoaf

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I've just downloaded simsig from their website.

Its not working, i downloaded the Kings X add on, when i clicked Kings X to start playting it, it just goes black a little egg timer appears (sometimes), and nothing happens, i sat and waited for about 5mins then shut it down.

Does it normally take longer than 5 mins to load?

LilLoaf

ignore my previous message, its working now for some reason, i just need to alter the file path, as not all files were installed to the same place.

scruffy

How do you successfully manage to save a simulation on simsig. I have tried to save a game with no luck. I also had to abort Westbury sim because OC29 leaves Whatley Quarry but it refuses to move through its route. It should reverse and run through Frome but it seems impossible for this to happen any ideas! Help much appreciated on these two topics

I do not have a signal diagram but if someone can describe the route I will follow

I sent the train down the Whately branch to the bottom and then abandon its timetable. it then ran forward past Frome north junction. Then I told it to run to another timetable and gave it back 0c29 then set the next location to Blatchbridge junction.

This was a problem with the paged version, why don't you download the new scrolly version thats available?

HTH

Mark

Flyboy

Having downloaded the main programme and the Sheffield file yesterday I'm not ashamed to say I was absolutely crap at SimSig. I ended up with a shed load of trains stuck in Sheffield on the wrong platforms, and in some areas up to 6 trains queuing at signals in other areas. The telephone queue got so long I eventually just ignored it! In the end I pulled the eject handle and quit.

What I didn't find helpful, and this has been mentioned elsewhere, is that Sheffield station was a sea of red, no ID numbers or anything, just red tracks. I scanned the trains list and still couldn't distinguish which train was where at the station. I would also like to be able to see all screens at once (6 in the Sheffield sim) instead of having to continuously scroll through them.

No doubt I'd probably have got better as time went on, and it looks a very useful tool for professional signallers, but sadly not for me.

Having downloaded the main programme and the Sheffield file yesterday I'm not ashamed to say I was absolutely crap at SimSig. I ended up with a shed load of trains stuck in Sheffield on the wrong platforms, and in some areas up to 6 trains queuing at signals in other areas. The telephone queue got so long I eventually just ignored it! In the end I pulled the eject handle and quit.

What I didn't find helpful, and this has been mentioned elsewhere, is that Sheffield station was a sea of red, no ID numbers or anything, just red tracks. I scanned the trains list and still couldn't distinguish which train was where at the station. I would also like to be able to see all screens at once (6 in the Sheffield sim) instead of having to continuously scroll through them.

No doubt I'd probably have got better as time went on, and it looks a very useful tool for professional signallers, but sadly not for me.

I had that problem when I first started - I have no problems at all now! The problem with the IDs disspearing at Sheffield is because you are using the shunt signals (the ones that are not quite round - more of a triangle shape) to bring the trains into the platforms.
You can ignore the shunt signals and just click between the proper circle shaped signals, the ID will then not dissapear. If it does dissapear you can put it back by pressing Ctrl+I and then type in the code and click on the nearest signal near the train is near.

Also another tip is to use the pause button a lot at first.

Hope this helps.

ladysue

Does anyone know how to get the Freightliners into Millbrook Freightliner Terminal as there are 2 on there and my friend has not been able to get them into there?

Status
Not open for further replies.