[SimSig] What other routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
51,475
Location
Yorkshire
The problem with the others is that they don't have enough screens to accomodate more than 2-3 people.

You can chain them but it's a bit of a hassle to set it up and get it working right (you need to be experienced, and you have to be fully prepared, there are extra ports to set up if you have a router/firewall and you need compatible TTs and suitable saved games).
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,198
Location
Wick
Signalling my home town there baggy...





Just up the bathampton line from Westbury

lies

TROWBRIDGE

(not in the middle of nowhere I hassen to add)
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,910
It all depends on how good the players are.

For example, myself and Tomnick could easy handle Kings Cross between us, or on our own.

For most people on this forum, they cant even handle a single screen on their own, heaven forbid a full game.
 

ikar

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2005
Messages
514
Location
Europe (Rijeka, Croatia)
Jamie C. Steel said:
It all depends on how good the players are.

For example, myself and Tomnick could easy handle Kings Cross between us, or on our own.

For most people on this forum, they cant even handle a single screen on their own, heaven forbid a full game.

(I wonder how would they do LivSt)

Another good Sim is Bristol 6 screens just the right thing for me...
 

Nitro

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2005
Messages
475
Location
London
I ll have you know I can take Peterborough by myself and have taken screens 2 and 3 at the same time on King's Cross.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,910
Peterborough isnt the hardest to handle, considering it's got Automatic Route Setting.
 

Coxster

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
9,244
Jamie C. Steel said:
It all depends on how good the players are.

For example, myself and Tomnick could easy handle Kings Cross between us, or on our own.

For most people on this forum, they cant even handle a single screen on their own, heaven forbid a full game.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Maytbe you have had more practice than them. I bet some people could play football better than you :P
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,910
You dont practice to play SimSig, SimSig is practice to do proper Signalling Work. I'd have thaught that was obvious!
 

ikar

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2005
Messages
514
Location
Europe (Rijeka, Croatia)
Jamie C. Steel said:
You dont practice to play SimSig, SimSig is practice to do proper Signalling Work. I'd have thaught that was obvious!

I agree with you. But you have to start somewhere, I personaly started on my own and with NLL about 4 months ago and now I can do every Sim
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,438
Hmm, it's a bit of an awkward one, this! Certainly KX is pretty much impossible for one person - I've just about managed to get through the 'standard' timetable on my own, with real issues around the peaks...but I can't say it was quite as fun as sharing it (and a few failures, of course!) with one or two others.

On the other hand - KX doesn't always have enough workload to accommodate 6 people (of course...depends on level of experience and all that too...but personally I'd go for 3 or 4 at most), and when it does, it's not really spread out too evenly. Having said that...I've taken part in a few 'RailUK' games, and I've got to say I've quite enjoyed them! Maybe allocating workload by screen isn't the most efficient/practical way to do it though?
 

taw valley

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2006
Messages
184
Location
south west london
yorkie got me learning wouldnt have learnt anything with out him and hay i can haddnle vw6 kingsx on my own now lol dounds stupied but just before he helped out i couldnt get a train any where
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
51,475
Location
Yorkshire
Tomnick said:
On the other hand - KX doesn't always have enough workload to accommodate 6 people (of course...depends on level of experience and all that too...but personally I'd go for 3 or 4 at most), and when it does, it's not really spread out too evenly. Having said that...I've taken part in a few 'RailUK' games, and I've got to say I've quite enjoyed them! Maybe allocating workload by screen isn't the most efficient/practical way to do it though?
If you have 5 people, one way round this is to have someone doing 3 and 6 (they go well together).

Also, to spread the load a little the person on 5 can take the bottom third of 4 (ie Woolmer Green to north of Stevenage). Alternatively the person on 6 could take that section.

On a normal TT, the 'easier' screens are 2,3, and 5. With 6 being very easy! But I use an enhanced TT with extra trains, double the frequency on the suburban lines out of Moorgate, this means that 2 and 3 become crucial screens - much more so than normally. Screen 6 is made much more interesting (although still the easiest). Screen 4 is a little better. Screen 4 is pretty tough though for non-experienced players, but can be split up (as described above).
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,438
Just one thought I've had...particularly for 2 and 3 (you're right...they are pretty crucial for the whole thing!) where 'up' and 'down' are pretty much entirely separated, certainly as far as normal services are concerned - couldn't one person be responsible for 'up' trains over both screens, and the other for 'down' trains? Just a thought...would seem to make regulation slightly easier though!
 

ikar

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2005
Messages
514
Location
Europe (Rijeka, Croatia)
Tomnick said:
Just one thought I've had...particularly for 2 and 3 (you're right...they are pretty crucial for the whole thing!) where 'up' and 'down' are pretty much entirely separated, certainly as far as normal services are concerned - couldn't one person be responsible for 'up' trains over both screens, and the other for 'down' trains? Just a thought...would seem to make regulation slightly easier though!

Good idea, we will experiment that on todays game
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,438
Let me know how it goes! There's probably one or two other areas where you could do something similar too. Certainly on NLL there are!
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,438
ikar said:
Unfortunatly we didn't test the idea today because dvn accused it for beeing complicated, But we can do it tomorow.
Complicated?! Should make regulation a lot easier - you've got half as many trains to deal with, but twice as long to look after them, so you can plan ahead a bit more ;) :) .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top