• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SimSig] What other routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The problem with the others is that they don't have enough screens to accomodate more than 2-3 people.

You can chain them but it's a bit of a hassle to set it up and get it working right (you need to be experienced, and you have to be fully prepared, there are extra ports to set up if you have a router/firewall and you need compatible TTs and suitable saved games).

Jim

Established Member
Signalling my home town there baggy...

Just up the bathampton line from Westbury

lies

TROWBRIDGE

(not in the middle of nowhere I hassen to add)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It all depends on how good the players are.

For example, myself and Tomnick could easy handle Kings Cross between us, or on our own.

For most people on this forum, they cant even handle a single screen on their own, heaven forbid a full game.

ikar

Jamie C. Steel said:

For example, myself and Tomnick could easy handle Kings Cross between us, or on our own.

For most people on this forum, they cant even handle a single screen on their own, heaven forbid a full game.

(I wonder how would they do LivSt)

Another good Sim is Bristol 6 screens just the right thing for me...

Nitro

I ll have you know I can take Peterborough by myself and have taken screens 2 and 3 at the same time on King's Cross.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Peterborough isnt the hardest to handle, considering it's got Automatic Route Setting.

Coxster

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:

Everyone has to start somewhere. Maytbe you have had more practice than them. I bet some people could play football better than you :P

bunnahabhain

Established Member
You dont practice to play SimSig, SimSig is practice to do proper Signalling Work. I'd have thaught that was obvious!

ikar

Jamie C. Steel said:
You dont practice to play SimSig, SimSig is practice to do proper Signalling Work. I'd have thaught that was obvious!

I agree with you. But you have to start somewhere, I personaly started on my own and with NLL about 4 months ago and now I can do every Sim

Tomnick

Established Member
Hmm, it's a bit of an awkward one, this! Certainly KX is pretty much impossible for one person - I've just about managed to get through the 'standard' timetable on my own, with real issues around the peaks...but I can't say it was quite as fun as sharing it (and a few failures, of course!) with one or two others.

On the other hand - KX doesn't always have enough workload to accommodate 6 people (of course...depends on level of experience and all that too...but personally I'd go for 3 or 4 at most), and when it does, it's not really spread out too evenly. Having said that...I've taken part in a few 'RailUK' games, and I've got to say I've quite enjoyed them! Maybe allocating workload by screen isn't the most efficient/practical way to do it though?

taw valley

yorkie got me learning wouldnt have learnt anything with out him and hay i can haddnle vw6 kingsx on my own now lol dounds stupied but just before he helped out i couldnt get a train any where

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tomnick said:
On the other hand - KX doesn't always have enough workload to accommodate 6 people (of course...depends on level of experience and all that too...but personally I'd go for 3 or 4 at most), and when it does, it's not really spread out too evenly. Having said that...I've taken part in a few 'RailUK' games, and I've got to say I've quite enjoyed them! Maybe allocating workload by screen isn't the most efficient/practical way to do it though?
If you have 5 people, one way round this is to have someone doing 3 and 6 (they go well together).

Also, to spread the load a little the person on 5 can take the bottom third of 4 (ie Woolmer Green to north of Stevenage). Alternatively the person on 6 could take that section.

On a normal TT, the 'easier' screens are 2,3, and 5. With 6 being very easy! But I use an enhanced TT with extra trains, double the frequency on the suburban lines out of Moorgate, this means that 2 and 3 become crucial screens - much more so than normally. Screen 6 is made much more interesting (although still the easiest). Screen 4 is a little better. Screen 4 is pretty tough though for non-experienced players, but can be split up (as described above).

Tomnick

Established Member
Just one thought I've had...particularly for 2 and 3 (you're right...they are pretty crucial for the whole thing!) where 'up' and 'down' are pretty much entirely separated, certainly as far as normal services are concerned - couldn't one person be responsible for 'up' trains over both screens, and the other for 'down' trains? Just a thought...would seem to make regulation slightly easier though!

ikar

Tomnick said:
Just one thought I've had...particularly for 2 and 3 (you're right...they are pretty crucial for the whole thing!) where 'up' and 'down' are pretty much entirely separated, certainly as far as normal services are concerned - couldn't one person be responsible for 'up' trains over both screens, and the other for 'down' trains? Just a thought...would seem to make regulation slightly easier though!

Good idea, we will experiment that on todays game

Tomnick

Established Member
Let me know how it goes! There's probably one or two other areas where you could do something similar too. Certainly on NLL there are!

Tomnick

Established Member
ikar said:
Unfortunatly we didn't test the idea today because dvn accused it for beeing complicated, But we can do it tomorow.
Complicated?! Should make regulation a lot easier - you've got half as many trains to deal with, but twice as long to look after them, so you can plan ahead a bit more ;) :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.