• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single Justice Procedure Notice - Bus travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
The form to declare your income for the court linked to by tspaul26 even says on it that it's an offence to fill it in incorrectly or make a deliberate omission.

It is an offence to give incorrect information, in my experience the information provided was rarely checked if it was in the "bounds of reason". Many in the system thought a requirement to bring in bank statements and wage slips would be a sensible move.

The bench can also infer income - say you're caught speeding in your new Audi but declare zero or a low income, a suitable penalty can be imposed which the defendant can appeal.

For the SJP notice, if all is in order on the paperwork, it's more than likely to be processed in a couple of minutes by the magistrate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattCoeld

There have been a number of similar cases on here IIRC ("borrowed" passes, etc.)
TfL seem to take the approach of prosecuting for the single occasion when the offender is caught, on the basis that it serves as enough of a deterrent. It is straightforward for them and the court, so has considerable advantages.

They will "know" that many people will have "got away with it" on other occasions.

As they have taken this approach you do not need to say anything about other occasions. However, I agree you should avoid suggesting you made a mistake.
"I know I was wrong to.... and I undertake not to repeat the offence."

Hi there,

so in my mitigation, you think the best thing to say is

“I know I was wrong to commit this offence and I undertake not to repeat the offence”

Is it better to write a shorter mitigation?

Veteran Member
Hi there,

so in my mitigation, you think the best thing to say is

“I know I was wrong to commit this offence and I undertake not to repeat the offence”

Is it better to write a shorter mitigation?

My original reply upthread was
As to mitigation - show that you realise WHY what you did was wrong (it costs the TfL money!) and that you have learnt your lesson (always to have a valid ticket).
I would still suggest adding the "and I realise...." bit.
Apart from that, yes, keep it short.

Status
Not open for further replies.