• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single line working with tablets/tokens

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
The Barnstaple, Okehampton and Exmouth branches all use physical tokens, operated remotely from Exeter 'box and collected from a token hut on the platform.

Barnstaple yes, but not the others.

Cowley Bridge Junction to Crediton is TCB and thus no tokens. Crediton to Eggesford and Eggesford to Barnstaple are both NSTR, with tokens issues by the Crediton signalman, and via remote instruments on the platforms at Eggesford. (there's presumably a further instrument at Barnstaple to allow trains to be shut into the sidings there?).

Crediton to Meldon is worked by train staff issued by the Crediton signalman. I presume Dartmoor Railway have to collect this by road and take it to Okehampton for their operations?

Exmouth Junction to Exmouth is OTW, no tokens used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Maiden Newton to Yeovil Pen Mill (issued by Yeovil signalman and token huts on MN platforms)

Indeed - with another single line at each end; Yeovil PM - Castle Cary (TCB) and Maiden Newton - Dorchester West (Tokenless block).

AndyPJG

Barnstaple yes, but not the others.

Cowley Bridge Junction to Crediton is TCB and thus no tokens. Crediton to Eggesford and Eggesford to Barnstaple are both NSTR, with tokens issues by the Crediton signalman, and via remote instruments on the platforms at Eggesford. (there's presumably a further instrument at Barnstaple to allow trains to be shut into the sidings there?).

Indeed there is (or was 5 years ago).

upload_2018-12-15_21-36-42.png

Edit:- The driver normally retains the token whilst at Barnstable, but has to phone the Crediton signaller to report arrival, and permission to depart, but this is for user worked crossings reasons.

Tomnick

Established Member
Indeed there is (or was 5 years ago).

View attachment 56719

Edit:- The driver normally retains the token whilst at Barnstable, but has to phone the Crediton signaller to report arrival, and permission to depart, but this is for user worked crossings reasons.
I’m fairly sure there’s no facility to shut inside at Barnstaple any more, or indeed any sidings that you could shut yourself inside? It’s just a lineside phone that’s pictured, and the reminder about the token is presumably to make sure that the driver’s still in possession of the token after changing ends (rather than leaving it in the rear cab, or on a bench on the platform etc.).

bramling

Veteran Member
I’m fairly sure there’s no facility to shut inside at Barnstaple any more, or indeed any sidings that you could shut yourself inside? It’s just a lineside phone that’s pictured, and the reminder about the token is presumably to make sure that the driver’s still in possession of the token after changing ends (rather than leaving it in the rear cab, or on a bench on the platform etc.).

That’s interesting, as the sectional appendix, albeit not clearly, seems to allude to the same, hence why I put it as a question. There are, or were, sidings on the up side worked via a ground frame.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Some others not mentioned yet:

Nunthorpe to Whitby (token issued by Nunthorpe signalman, and remote token huts at Battersby, Glaisdale and Whitby, plus an intermediate instrument at Grosmont used by NYMR).

Pantyfynnon to Craven Arms with token huts at intermediate passing loops.

Sellafield to Whitehaven, controlled by signalmen at Sellafield and St Bees plus a token hut on Whitehaven platform.

Ambergate to Matlock (token huts at Ambergate and Matlock platforms)

St Budeaux Victoria Road to Gunnislake (train staff issued by instrument on St B platform supervised by Plymouth PSB)

Grain branch

St Erth to St Ives (train staff issues by St Erth signalman)

Treherbert branch (forget exactly where tokens are issued on this one)

Whitland to Pembroke Dock (token huts on Tenby platforms), and Whitland to Fishguard Harbour.

Tondu to Maesteg

Maiden Newton to Yeovil Pen Mill (issued by Yeovil signalman and token huts on MN platforms)

Maidenhead to Bourne End / Marlow (token machines at Maidenhead and Bourne End, plus train staff for Marlow section)

Morecambe to Heysham Port (token machine at Morecambe ground frame)

I think that covers the main passenger routes, there’s no doubt a number of freight branches too.

I thought that the token for the Fishguard arm was collected from/handed back at the signal box at Clarbeston Road?

Although unscientific as I have only travelled the Fishguard arm twice, that is based on my observations.

Tomnick

Established Member
That’s interesting, as the sectional appendix, albeit not clearly, seems to allude to the same, hence why I put it as a question. There are, or were, sidings on the up side worked via a ground frame.
Sorry, you’re right about the sidings - I had it in my head that they’d long since been abolished. The Sectional Appendix confirms that it’s still NSTR too, which implies that there’s something at that end - but there’s no reference to the facility to shut inside in Table A. I’ll check the local instructions tomorrow, see if there’s anything there.

bramling

Veteran Member
Sorry, you’re right about the sidings - I had it in my head that they’d long since been abolished. The Sectional Appendix confirms that it’s still NSTR too, which implies that there’s something at that end - but there’s no reference to the facility to shut inside in Table A. I’ll check the local instructions tomorrow, see if there’s anything there.

Thanks, I’d be curious to get a definite answer.

Parallel

Established Member
The Barnstaple, Okehampton and Exmouth branches all use physical tokens, operated remotely from Exeter 'box and collected from a token hut on the platform.
I’m surprised the Exmouth branch does as I thought conventional signalling was in use at Topsham.

louis97

Established Member
I’m surprised the Exmouth branch does as I thought conventional signalling was in use at Topsham.
The Exmouth branch doesn't use a token, it is Track Circuit Block until Topsham and then One train working without a train staff from there to Exmouth.

bengley

Established Member
Just to clarify - this is not single line working. Single line working is a system used to turn a uni-directional line into a bi-directional line in emergency situations.

John Webb

Established Member
Are the tokens at the Matlock end ever used seeing as normal services have it come back via Ambergate Jn anyway?

Trains are often shut inside at Matlock (so the token will be restored to the instrument to allow another train to follow over the single line), especially during the RHTT season. There isn’t enough time during the daytime service for a train to get to Matlock and back between the hourly service trains, so the only option is to recess it there to wait for a margin to get back.
Also there is now the connection between the National network and Peak Rail at Matlock, so through trains need to record their passing from one to the other to release the system on the line they're coming off and register on the line they are going on to.

Tomnick

Established Member
Also there is now the connection between the National network and Peak Rail at Matlock, so through trains need to record their passing from one to the other to release the system on the line they're coming off and register on the line they are going on to.
The connection's always been there (hasn't it?) through the sidings - it doesn't really matter what's on the other side of the ground frame or how it's worked, as the act of replacing the token for the section from Ambergate is solely to allow another token to be withdrawn at the other end. If the ground frame gave access directly to Peak Rail's running line, then I'd expect the release to be co-operative somehow, but I'm sure that it still only gives direct access to the sidings?
Thanks, I’d be curious to get a definite answer.
The sectional appendix says:
GW606 - COWLEY BRIDGE JN TO BARNSTAPLE
BARNSTAPLE GROUND FRAME

Barnstaple ground frame is unlocked by the Eggesford to Barnstaple section token. If the ground frame is required to be operated for any reason, the driver or person in charge must obtain permission from the signaller at Crediton to obtain an Eggesford to Barnstaple token from the instrument located at Eggesford.

Before the token is replaced at Eggesford, the driver or person in charge must contact the signaller at Crediton and give an assurance that the ground frame at Barnstaple has been restored to normal and no vehicles have been left on the single line.
Dated: 30/11/13​
...which implies, to me, that there's no facility to shut inside at Barnstaple and no instrument there - either that, or that there's only a single token provided, which would make such a facility useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.