• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single to Bolton from Windermere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Off on a family and friends holiday to Windermere on Friday the 17th of February. I'm traveling back home in the car but in University on the day we travel there so will have to travel from Bolton to Windermere and meet the family and friends there.

I'm looking to travel around 2ish as I finish University at about 1.30 but want the cheapest fare. The cheapest I see at the moment is a train from Bolton to Preston and then Preston to Windermere at £10.50 but that is not until 4.30pm and I don't really want to be waiting around for ages. Is there any ways I can get an earlier journey at a cheap price.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is there any ways I can get an earlier journey at a cheap price.
Advance tickets are often (but not always) made available around 12 weeks in advance, however for popular times they tend to sell out quickly (this is an example of yield management). So, if you want to travel at an earlier time for a cheap price then next time you could try booking an Advance ticket earlier. There is no availability for Advance tickets from Bolton to Warrington for the itinerary departing 1433.

I'm not sure that there will be a cheaper combination of tickets than a Bolton to Windermere ticket. I had a look at 'splitting' at Preston but that cost more, but you could try splitting at various stations en-route until (and if) you find a cheaper combination.

Prodigy

May as well take the cheapest route and stop for a pint in that case. Cheers for your help bud :).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In Coach D for first leg of journey, I'm guessing this is a doubled up 185 and Coach D will be labled correctly?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In Coach D for first leg of journey, I'm guessing this is a doubled up 185
That will be booked yes.
Coach D will be labled correctly?
That cannot be guaranteed. I was on a TPE train that appeared to have two Coach As. Although I did not see the labels, someone was on the phone near me to someone in the other portion of the train who claimed to be in Coach A, but was clearly not in our coach! They were trying to tell their friend to walk through the train but that obviously wasn't possible due to the lack of gangway connections.

cuccir

Established Member
Prodigy:974878 said:
In Coach D for first leg of journey, I'm guessing this is a doubled up 185 and Coach D will be labled correctly?

The problem with doubling up on this route is that earlier late running services can lead to short-formed trains, or an inadequate amount of time to relabel carriages and reservations. I've experienced this problem on TPE services in the north west and from speaking to others I don't think its uncommon in that area - but then there's not much that you can do about it so its probably not worth worrying about!

Status
Not open for further replies.