• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single track lines where a physical token is in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjs247

Hi all,

Apart from preserved lines, most single track lines these days seem to use an electronic token or some other form of virtual token rather than a physical tablet / staff etc. which is carried on board and exchanged with the signaller at the end of the single line section.

Seeing the thread on semaphore signals, I'm sure there must be some routes on NR which still use this method but I'm struggling to think of any. Are there any passenger lines where the train must stop or at slow down so that the driver can exchange the single line token?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Hi all,

Apart from preserved lines, most single track lines these days seem to use an electronic token or some other form of virtual token rather than a physical tablet / staff etc. which is carried on board and exchanged with the signaller at the end of the single line section.

Seeing the thread on semaphore signals, I'm sure there must be some routes on NR which still use this method but I'm struggling to think of any. Are there any passenger lines where the train must stop or at slow down so that the driver can exchange the single line token?
Blaenau Ffestiniog line - two blocks with tokens at Llandudno Junction and Llanrwst North.

Murphyen

Harrogate - York: again two blocks between Knaresborough and Cattal, and Hammerton and Poppleton.

mallard

Established Member
St. Erth - St. Ives. Quite nice when you're on the first train of the day (which sets out from Penzance) and you see the driver take the token from the signalman, a scene that has probably barely changed since the days of steam!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I can't quite remember the locations of the sections and boxes, but physical tokens are exchanged on the Cumbrian Coast Line, and the Barton on Humber branch too.

VicGreen

Token exchanged at Oxmarsh Crossing ,New Holland for the final single track to Barton

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Aylesbury to Calvert certainly used to be until Aylesbury Vale Parkway opened, it might still be in fact but token machine isnt at Aylesbury station any more.

CC 72100

Established Member
Newquay branch? Got a feeling I saw what looked like a Token passed over at 'that junction beginning with B who's name I can't think of right now'.

Also, what looks like a physical token is handed to the driver just after Crediton, on the Barnstaple line.

matchmaker

Established Member
Kilkerran - Stranraer. The line also features the only surviving Tyers No 6 Tablet instruments on NR (all other token working is by Tyers No 9 Key Token instruments)

Crossover

Established Member
PR1Berske:1316021 said:
Preston-Ormskirk line if I'm not mistaken

It was when I was there a few weeks ago. There is also one at Bare Lane I believe, for access to the Heysham Port branch

themiller

I can't quite remember the locations of the sections and boxes, but physical tokens are exchanged on the Cumbrian Coast Line, and the Barton on Humber branch too.

Tokens are in use between Sellafield and St Bees. I'm not sure about he section between St Bees and Whitehaven (Bransty). The single line section from Parton to Harrington has no physical token.

Sidious

Gunnislake branch - the driver has to take the token out of a cabinet at St. Budeaux Victoria Road station.

Captain Chaos

Maidenhead - Marlow branch has a Token for Maidenhead - Bourne End and a Staff for Bourne End - Marlow

DavidBrown

Also, what looks like a physical token is handed to the driver just after Crediton, on the Barnstaple line.

Yes, infact there are two token sections on the Barnstaple line - Crediton to Eggesford, and Eggesford to Barnstaple. There also used to be a token for Crediton to Lapford when freight traffic was still heading there, but that's long gone now.

Marton

The Esk Valley line (North Yorkshire), unless it has changed recently.

Not changed recently, but only token from Nunthorpe. Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe is TCB. see http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...x/london north eastern sectional appenidx.pdf page 829/1028

Sections with tokens are

Nunthorpe - Battersby; Battersby - Glaisdale; Glaisdale - Whitby.

All but Nunthorpe are driver operated cabins, with, I believe, a cabin at Grosmont to enable the NYMR to access the token

jnjkerbin

Newquay branch? Got a feeling I saw what looked like a Token passed over at 'that junction beginning with B who's name I can't think of right now'.

According to the latest issue of Rail

At Goonbarrow Junction, the Electric Token working used on the section from St Blazey is replaced by a Train Staff to Newquay.

rebmcr

Established Member
What happens if a train wants to follow a previous service through a token section?
Does it have to wait for something to come back the other way? Are the sections short enough for the signaller to run the token back to the start? Are these only used at the termini of lines?

rownd

Preston-Ormskirk line if I'm not mistaken

Preston - Ormskirk is covered in three sections:
  • Farington Curve - Midge Hall: Track Circuit Block from Preston PSB
  • Midge Hall - Rufford: Electronic Token Block
  • Rufford - Ormskirk: One Train in Section, using a wooden staff kept at Rufford crossing box

causton

Established Member
What happens if a train wants to follow a previous service through a token section?
Does it have to wait for something to come back the other way? Are the sections short enough for the signaller to run the token back to the start? Are these only used at the termini of lines?

Sometimes there are multiple tokens available from a machine, but only one issued at once. See page 10 of the report on http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/reports_2008/report132008.cfm for an example picture of one!

(the above sentence was based on the RAIB report and I have no other knowledge of how the tokens work)

PR1Berske

Established Member
Preston - Ormskirk is covered in three sections:
  • Farington Curve - Midge Hall: Track Circuit Block from Preston PSB
  • Midge Hall - Rufford: Electronic Token Block
  • Rufford - Ormskirk: One Train in Section, using a wooden staff kept at Rufford crossing box

Cheers :)
There will always be one passenger I notice.who had never seen it before, asking someone why it happens sometimes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.