• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single Track Working - Rainford to Kirkby

Status
Not open for further replies.

joke2711

Hi Forum Members

I hope I have posted this is the correct place and it may seem like a totally strange if not stupid question ... but I am a little confused.

When a passenger train leaves Rainford, it stops almost immediately and collects a token from the Signal Box .. obviously to give right of way to the driver. On its return journey the token is handed back to the Signal Box. I am clear on that bit.

When a freight service heads through Rainford does the same apply? I am puzzled as to how the track can ever become clear until it returns??

Hope someone with much greater knowledge can assist?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have a read of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_(railway_signalling)

But to put it simply, there is an electrical/electronic system in place which allows precisely one token to be taken out of a machine in any one of two signalboxes. These are connected together, so once one has been taken from either machine, you can't take another one from either machine until that one has been put back, again into either machine. Each machine has a small stock of tokens so it is possible for several trains to pass in one direction rather than it having to be one in, one out.

If the line is a dead end, like say Rufford to Ormskirk, the simpler "train staff working" is used. This dispenses with the token equipment, and simply has a bit of wood with the line details engraved on it as the "token" - with that method it is like you describe, which is no issue in that case because there is unlike the Kirkby line nowhere for it to go other than back the way it came in.

Ken H

On Moderation
Have a read of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_(railway_signalling)

But to put it simply, there is an electrical/electronic system in place which allows precisely one token to be taken out of a machine in any one of two signalboxes. These are connected together, so once one has been taken from either machine, you can't take another one from either machine until that one has been put back, again into either machine. Each machine has a small stock of tokens so it is possible for several trains to pass in one direction rather than it having to be one in, one out.

If the line is a dead end, like say Rufford to Ormskirk, the simpler "train staff working" is used. This dispenses with the token equipment, and simply has a bit of wood with the line details engraved on it as the "token" - with that method it is like you describe, which is no issue in that case because there is unlike the Kirkby line nowhere for it to go other than back the way it came in.

Isnt the line from rainford to kirkby a dead end. you cant take a train through kirby, you have to get off and anto another train and there are back to back bufferstops.

So the rainford/kirkby token isnt a single line token, its a one engine in steam token. (What do they call those now?)

So no freight....

Ken H

On Moderation
Oops
Just been on Raildar and there IS a freight facility off the Rainford - Kirkby section

So there must be a token machine in a cupboard there to lock a freight train in there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So the rainford/kirkby token isnt a single line token, its a one engine in steam token. (What do they call those now?)

So no freight....

As you correct later, there is freight.

Regarding that type of "token", it's called a train staff. You can use one on any single line, the problem with it in its basic form is that it doesn't allow for unbalanced flows. A dead-end branch line can't have an unbalanced flow - what goes in has to come out before something else can go in. You can use train staff and ticket[1] to have several trains in one direction, but you still need at least one in the other direction to bring the staff back.

[1] As the purpose of single-line kit like this is to prevent head-on collisions, you can allow a number of trains through the section (on an Absolute Block type basis) by showing the train staff to the driver of the front train(s) and providing them with a "ticket", a piece of paper authorising the move. The last train through then carries the staff. Once they have, no more trains can go that way until another train (or road vehicle) brings it back.

Ken H

On Moderation

[1] As the purpose of single-line kit like this is to prevent head-on collisions, you can allow a number of trains through the section (on an Absolute Block type basis) by showing the train staff to the driver of the front train(s) and providing them with a "ticket", a piece of paper authorising the move. The last train through then carries the staff. Once they have, no more trains can go that way until another train (or road vehicle) brings it back.

Is staff and ticket still in use anywhere in UK?

A variation on this is pilotman working, where when a line is temporarily single track (engineering works of some sort shutting the other track)
All trains must have a the pilot on board
But if 2 trains are to go through one after the other the pilotman can show the train driver his arm badge, and issue a ticket as authorisation to enter the section.

bengley

Established Member
There's a token machine at the freight depot.

I visited the box a couple of months ago and the Signaller explained how it worked

Llama

Established Member
Knowsley freight terminal has a shut-in facility.

joke2711

Really appreciate the replies on this ... I sometimes see the Freight train on my way home and it is always accompanied by a road vehicle which I guess is for the purpose described above ...

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Is staff and ticket still in use anywhere in UK?

A variation was used on the Manchester Metrolink during the works at Victoria. Trams were often sent through the single track section in pairs (driving on Line of Sight). The first driver would be shown the staff by the PIC (Person In Charge - not sure if that is the correct terminology in these terms, but most accurately describes the role in my mind as a layperson) who would then proceed. The final driver would take the staff in the tram cab and surrender it at the other end for the trams to return in the other direction

geoffk

Established Member
When i visited Rainford a few months ago, the Kirkby-bound passenger was held for several minutes at the signal in advance of the platform until the waste train came past, even though there is of course a starting signal in the platform.

Llama

Established Member
When i visited Rainford a few months ago, the Kirkby-bound passenger was held for several minutes at the signal in advance of the platform until the waste train came past, even though there is of course a starting signal in the platform.
I think you mean 'in rear', in railway parlance "in advance" usually means beyond. This would've been due to the short clearance point after the down section signal at Rainford, as I understand it down trains can't be signalled past the down home signal (the one you would've been detained at) unless certain track circuits are clear on the up line.

geoffk

Established Member
I think you mean 'in rear', in railway parlance "in advance" usually means beyond. This would've been due to the short clearance point after the down section signal at Rainford, as I understand it down trains can't be signalled past the down home signal (the one you would've been detained at) unless certain track circuits are clear on the up line.
Thanks. "In rear" I should have written. Presumably eventual resignalling will sort this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.