• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single Tracks with two platform faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's not uncommon for stations to have tracks with a platform face on both side. Where I've seen them, though, it seems that only one of the faces is ever used- for instance, "Platform 4" at Finsbury Park doesn't even have a Passenger Information display board.

I'd assume in the days before central door locking, it would have been common practice for passngers to use both platforms 4 and 5 here, and at other locations such as Edinburgh Waverly platform 18 (the other side of which is unnumbered).
Are the reasons for not doing so now technical (ie can only one side be opened at once on most MUs?) or operational (I would guess that checking both sides of the train when closing the doors would be rather akward, especially in Driver Only Operation)?

(apologies for the title typo! I'm usually good at checking these things)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Platform 18 at Waverley will only be used on one side because on the numbered side it is part of the FSR platforms controlled by the ticket barriers near the entrance to the station, however, on the unnumbered side of the platform, you can walk all the way up platform 19, and before they blocked off the bit just where the platform 18 track ends you could go onto the FSR platforms avoiding the barriers (you still can round the other side of the station, a point I made with this photo). Because of this, they only use the platform on one side, to stop people walking up and getting on the platforms without a valid ticket.

Edit: Acutally, now I come to think of it, I'm not sure the doors on the unnumbered side are always locked on the train sitting there. I'm probably going to be there next weekend, so I'll have a look then :)

djw1981

Established Member
I'm not sure the doors on the unnumbered side are always locked on the train sitting there. I'm probably going to be there next weekend, so I'll have a look then :)
They normally are whenever I have been there, both before and after barriering.

me123

Established Member
I didn't even think you could alight on both sides of Platform 18; I had a look a wee while back and it seemed to be a rather large distance from the "wrong" platform face to the train (although I don't think it'd be impossible to board there!). Of course, I was on Platform 19 at the time.

MCR247

Established Member
Would you could Nottingham Platform 6? Well the other side is dissused

me123

Established Member
Yeah, must just have been the way I was looking at it. They wouldn't use it now, anyway, because of the fence between that and Platform 19; certainly I wouldn't go that way as a passenger as it just adds walking time.

Phoenix

Established Member
I had this thought at derby station with it's bay platform as the Nottingham-Cardiff's would occasionally use the bay and we was always told to join on the platform 4 side rather than the platform 6 side.

EM2

Established Member
Ascot has this arrangement, so that on race day the platforms clear quicker.
I haven't been there since they got rid of slammers though, so I can't comment on the current arrangements

1D53

Established Member
Platform 2? at Carlisle too, they only use one side there too, thats a bit more unusual in that its a bay platform too.

Mintona

Established Member
Same arrangement at Grantham on the bay. Once pulled in on the Skegness train from Nottingham, whole queue or people waiting for it on the "relief" side (it was a summer weekend), and the doors were opened on the "main" side :lol:

First class

Established Member
Inverness has this too. Think its platform 2+3 which can be alighted either side. Used for Kyle of Lochalsh/Wick departures. Only seen 3 being used, as staff barriers are on this side.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Platforms 1 and 2 at Scarborough are both like this too!

Coxster

Established Member
Platforms 6/7 at Guildford (through platform)
Train doors are only released on the platform 6 side, regardless of which direction the trains is travelling in over the bi-directional line. Platform 7 has signage in place to this effect.

- - - - -

Platform 6 at Reading (London-end bay platform)
Train doors are only released on the platform 5 side - not the platform 8 side.

Platform 7 at Reading (Country-end bay platform)

Reference: Reading station track layout diagram

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
and Sheffield, platform something of the other (I think it was 6). seen a 222 in there loading passengers on the other side, not the main station side (platform 5 if I am right)

mumrar

Established Member
Haven't seen it mentioned but I belive Yeovil Pen Mill also has one such platform. Not sure if both sides are used or not

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Platform 6 at Reading (London-end bay platform)
The diagram is wrong.
The doors are released on the platform 8 side at all times as the platform 5 side is shorter, and a 3+2 turbo set would have the back 2 coaches minus one set of doors off-platform.

Modified diagram ^
Note, platform capacity is from Quail. Where 6 coaches are mentioned, it can fit a 3+2 turbo set, or 5-car voyager. Where4 coaches is mentioned, only a 2- or 3-car Turbo can fit. This is due to having 23m coach lengths

Last edited:

Coxster

Established Member
The diagram is wrong.
The doors are released on the platform 8 side at all times as the platform 5 side is shorter, and a 3+2 turbo set would have the back 2 coaches minus one set of doors off-platform.

Modified diagram ^
Note, platform capacity is from Quail. Where 6 coaches are mentioned, it can fit a 3+2 turbo set, or 5-car voyager. Where4 coaches is mentioned, only a 2- or 3-car Turbo can fit. This is due to having 23m coach lengths
Oh, fair enough. That side of Reading is the dark side (Great Western) so I have no real interest in it <D :p

MCR247

Established Member
mmmmm Cookies................

To bad I live in Nottingham!

delt1c

Established Member
Not NR but Barking Eastbound on the District line has a platform face on both sides and doth sides are used. Canary wharf on the DLR has 6 platforms and 3 lines all platforms used usually both at the same time.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If we're talking about the tube, both Cockfosters & Arnos Grove have a double-sided central platform. Instructions at Oakwood inform drivers to only open doors on a certain side at Cockfosters, and at Arnos Grove doors open to the island depending in which direction they're travelling, although I've seen both open.

Failed Unit

Established Member
If we're talking about the tube, both Cockfosters & Arnos Grove have a double-sided central platform. Instructions at Oakwood inform drivers to only open doors on a certain side at Cockfosters, and at Arnos Grove doors open to the island depending in which direction they're travelling, although I've seen both open.

At Arnos Grove, trains coming from London open the doors on the platform face that is closest to the ticket office. Trains heading to London open the doors on the side furthest away from the ticket office.

A terminating train will open its doors to let passengers alight on the platform closest to the ticket office, once passengers have disembarked they will open the doors on the other side of the train for passengers to board. You will sometimes see both sets of doors open at the same time.

The plan is that all trains passengers to cockfosters use the same stairs from the ticket office and all passengers heading into London use the same stairs from the ticket office. It also enables cross platform connections. Terminating trains should always use the centre platform, but it doesn't always happen resulting in some dashing over the bridge.

I am sure somewhere on the Central line has the same arrangement, not sure if it White City or not but it is in that area!

westcoaster

Established Member
norwood junction has a double sided platform, only used on one side though as there is a juice rail down the other side.

Ilove165's

White City does, the doors open closest to the BBC.

Uxbridge does as well, doors open on platform 2 not 3...

Sam

driver9000

Established Member
Blackburn platform 3. Doors are only released on the platform 2 side.

The_Rail_WAy

Wigan Wallgate bay platform also has them, only 1 side used.

Also Nottingham.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.