• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sir Rod Stewart reveals his epic model railway city

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

He's one of rock's biggest stars, but Sir Rod Stewart has finally revealed the fruits of his other great passion - model railways.

In between making music and playing live, Sir Rod has been working on a massive, intricate model of a US city for the past 23 years.

He unveiled it as part of an interview with Railway Modeller magazine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stewart2887

Rod rang in to the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show, who was doing an article on this. Unexpectedly joinned on the line by Jools Holland, and Steve Lamacq in the studio. Very entertaining

DaleCooper

Established Member
I liked the fact that instead of asking for hookers and cocaine in his hotel room he wanted space to do some modelling.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Claire Sheppy

Anyone who is interested in both music and model railways will have known for some time that Sir Rod Stewart was not just a passionate railway modeller, but also a very good one. His American Railroad model appeared in Model Railroader magazine quite a few years ago now. His being in The Railway Modeller was long overdue.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Rod rang in to the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show, who was doing an article on this. Unexpectedly joinned on the line by Jools Holland, and Steve Lamacq in the studio. Very entertaining

Yes Jools Holland has an interest in Railways, I think I recently read that in the Radio Times, I think Pete Waterman does too?

Darandio

Established Member
I think Pete Waterman does too?

Just a bit. :lol:

It feels like he owned half of the ex-BR fleet in the early 90's. I've been re-reading issues of RAIL recently from 1990-1993 or so and not a month went by without him buying something up, even electrics.

robvulpes

Just a bit. :lol:

It feels like he owned half of the ex-BR fleet in the early 90's. I've been re-reading issues of RAIL recently from 1990-1993 or so and not a month went by without him buying something up, even electrics.
Pete Waterman has a splendid O gauge finescale model of Leamington Spa in late steam/early diesel days. Don't think it is transportable to exhibitions or open to public viewing wherever it is, so I've only seen pics and videos of it.

EM2

Established Member
The layouts of both Jools Holland and Pete Waterman have both appeared in Railway Modeller in the last few years (Jools in January this year).
Just Like The Real Thing, which was a manufacturer of O-gauge loco and stock kits, was actually set up by Waterman after he realised that he couldn't buy what he needed.

nlogax

Established Member
Pete Waterman has a splendid O gauge finescale model of Leamington Spa in late steam/early diesel days. Don't think it is transportable to exhibitions or open to public viewing wherever it is, so I've only seen pics and videos of it.

It's open to public viewing upon request. These requests can be made by completing a form on the layout's website.

"About Leamington

In 2003 Dr Pete Waterman OBE decided to create what is probably now the largest mainline O gauge model railway in the UK. Originally planned to be modelled in Gauge 1 this soon became unrealistic as the space required would have been vast, so O gauge it is then and work started to convert a barn to include a new mezzanine that was to accommodate the layout. Fifteen years on from that date and there is still much modelling taking place and who knows, maybe it'll never be fully completed."

Status
Not open for further replies.