• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sit coms/dramas etc that could be rerun in the next few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Speaking of Dallas & Dynasty - does anyone remember a British version of these shows called Howard's Way that was set in Hampshire?

I remember the awesome theme tune and the central character was played by Maurice Colborne who died very suddenly during the show's run.

CJ

Howards Way ? How could I forget it. On every Sunday before school. The family loved it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
Speaking of Dallas & Dynasty - does anyone remember a British version of these shows called Howard's Way that was set in Hampshire?

I remember the awesome theme tune and the central character was played by Maurice Colborne who died very suddenly during the show's run.

CJ
In this podcast, Julia Raeside, TV writer for The Guardian, navigates through every episode of the 1980s seafaring soap opera, in order, with a special guest joining her each time. You don't have to like Howard's Way or even remember it, but Julia loves it and wants you onboard.
https://play.acast.com/s/alwaysthere/

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In this podcast, Julia Raeside, TV writer for The Guardian, navigates through every episode of the 1980s seafaring soap opera, in order, with a special guest joining her each time. You don't have to like Howard's Way or even remember it, but Julia loves it and wants you onboard.
https://play.acast.com/s/alwaysthere/

Ooh, The Flying Fish, The Baracuda, Sir Edward Frere, Smarmy Ken - it all comes flooding back.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That take me back. One joke has stuck in my mind all these tears from Steve Punt:-
Red sky at night ,shepherds delight.
Drowned sheep in morning ,global warming!
Do you remember that they were always winding Terry Christian from ‘The Word’ up? He always used to bite too and have a dig back which made it even funnier. :lol:

rogercov

How about Bless This House with Sid James
Rising Damp
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, definitely like the Government
Bless this House is frequently on Forces TV (Freeview 96)

Forces TV does seem to be a good source of old comedy, some of it cringeworthy!
Today is no exception. Non-stop comedy all day, apart from the news.
(Never the twain, Get Some in, and several others)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Do you remember that they were always winding Terry Christian from ‘The Word’ up? He always used to bite too and have a dig back which made it even funnier. :lol:

Memories of The Word cunger up my teenage fantasies about Dani Behr. She probably had the sexiest voice and physique of any TV presenter at the time. I'm sure she dated Ryan Giggs early on.

SteveP29

Memories of The Word cunger up my teenage fantasies about Dani Behr. She probably had the sexiest voice and physique of any TV presenter at the time. I'm sure she dated Ryan Giggs early on.

A mate of mine saw her in Sainsbury's at the Arnison Centre in Durham not long after Les Ferdinand signed for us from QPR.
I'll leave you to come to your own conclusion ;)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Having had the weekend off I see nothing much has changed on the television. UKTV are still endlessly repeating the same shows over and over again twice a day. Same for ITV 2/3/4. Not much to laugh at on BBC. Only highlight was the new Have I Got News For You. I guess our wish list above will remain just that.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've been enjoying re-runs of French and Saunders on BBC iplayer.

Also, Channel four have put Seinfeld on demand as well.

dgl

Established Member
Only highlight was the new Have I Got News For You. I guess our wish list above will remain just that.

yes the new HGNFY was certinaly interesting, naturally lost a bit of humor due to the lack of audience but it was still a good watch.
Though just imagine what would have been required to do the same thing about 20 years ago, certinaly more than a camera, a pc and an internet connection!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
UKTV are still endlessly repeating the same shows over and over again twice a day. Same for ITV 2/3/4

Agreed - given the massive archive these channels must have access to I'd like to see more variety rather than endless repeats of "Only Fools and Horses" and "Minder".

philjo

Established Member
The BBC are replaying in full the TMS commentary of the 2019 Headingley Test Match. On 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC sounds starting from 10:45am this morning. Each day until Saturday at normal test match playing times. Plenty of drama involved!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Honor Blackman sadly passed on tonight. I wonder if we will see a rerun of The Upper Hand in tribute?

Yes! And not just for Anneka Rice and Annabel Croft :lol:

I never watched Treasure Hunt, but I used to enjoy Challenge Anneka. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Men Behaving Badly & Game On were probably the better of the 1990s sitcoms but they never seem to be rerun as much.

CJ

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Men Behaving Badly & Game On were probably the better of the 1990s sitcoms but they never seem to be rerun as much.

CJ

I saw one series of Men Behaving Badly appear on UKTV Play about a year ago, but then nothing. I agree that these companies either need to up their game, or the main channels should show them.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It was an 80s comedy sketch show. Here's what Wiki says about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dares_Wins_(TV_series)?wprov=sfti1

Who Dares Wins is a British television comedy sketch show, an adaptation of BBC Radio 4's Injury Time, broadcast between 1983 and 1988, featuring Jimmy Mulville, Rory McGrath, Philip Pope, Julia Hills and Tony Robinson.[2][3][4][5][6][7] It was one of the first TV outlets for alternative comedy and was broadcast by Channel 4 late at night in a first attempt at "Post-Pub television"[citation needed] (the opening title sequence shows a man staggering home from the pub to get to the television in time for the programme). It was eventually aired by the Playboy Channel in cable television outlets in the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobdogs

The BBC are replaying in full the TMS commentary of the 2019 Headingley Test Match. On 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC sounds starting from 10:45am this morning. Each day until Saturday at normal test match playing times. Plenty of drama involved!
Sorry, off topic. For those of us who want to listen to anything but references to the virus, could the BBC use Sports Extra to broadcast other remarkable and memorable sporting events from the past, instead of the repetitive "coming soon on Sports Extra" trail. I know they are doing some on BBC Sounds but I only have radio.
Perhaps someone could start a topic to this end if of interest.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The BBC have been showing Ealing comedies in the afternoon... yesterday was The Titfield Thunderbolt and today is Whisky Galore. I just had to skip back with the subtitles on after thinking there had been some very un-PC and unclean language. Turns out that George Campbell's mother was saying she wanted "...all the blackcurrants..." for her own jam!
:lol::oops:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

CJ
Game On was never the same after Ben Chaplin left and was replaced as Matt by Neil Stuke. They should really have gone the Men Behaving Badly route and replaced the character, as MBB did when Harry Enfield left. Though Matt's character was very much central to the plot I suppose.

"There is a time to surf... and a time to wax your board." :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.