• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sit coms/dramas etc that could be rerun in the next few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Game On was never the same after Ben Chaplin left and was replaced as Matt by Neil Stuke. They should really have gone the Men Behaving Badly route and replaced the character, as MBB did when Harry Enfield left. Though Matt's character was very much central to the plot I suppose.

"There is a time to surf... and a time to wax your board." :lol:

Neil Struke was funny in his own way & was a completely different personality to Ben Chaplin. Ben Chaplin left after the first series which was a shame - the first series does have a very 90s feel about it & Sam Janus is clearly in the early stages of her career at this point and her acting was a bit all over the place (she was only 22 and came across as quite ditzy at times).

The second series was the best in my opinion & Neil Stuke really did make the part of Matthew his own. The episodes were hilarious at times.

The third series had quite alot of publicity prior to it's transmission but for me it had lost some of the humour because they had packed so much into series 1 & 2. It was inevitable the series would end at this point.

Neil Stuke & Sam Janus (now Womack) have since gone on to have great TV careers in drama. Ben Chaplin went into the film industry. Sadly, Matthew Cottle (Martin) appears to still be working on TV but has not had the same success has his co-stars.

CJ

PeterC

Established Member
I was wondering yesterday how far in advance the game shows were recorded. We still seem to be getting new editions of The Chase and Tipping Point at the moment. I assume that they record multiple issues back to back the way BBC Radio do with ISIHAC.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Neil Struke was funny in his own way & was a completely different personality to Ben Chaplin. Ben Chaplin left after the first series which was a shame - the first series does have a very 90s feel about it & Sam Janus is clearly in the early stages of her career at this point and her acting was a bit all over the place (she was only 22 and came across as quite ditzy at times).

The second series was the best in my opinion & Neil Stuke really did make the part of Matthew his own. The episodes were hilarious at times.

The third series had quite alot of publicity prior to it's transmission but for me it had lost some of the humour because they had packed so much into series 1 & 2. It was inevitable the series would end at this point.

Neil Stuke & Sam Janus (now Womack) have since gone on to have great TV careers in drama. Ben Chaplin went into the film industry. Sadly, Matthew Cottle (Martin) appears to still be working on TV but has not had the same success has his co-stars.

CJ

Yes, I'd like to see that one again.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The BBC have been showing Ealing comedies in the afternoon... yesterday was The Titfield Thunderbolt and today is Whisky Galore. I just had to skip back with the subtitles on after thinking there had been some very un-PC and unclean language. Turns out that George Campbell's mother was saying she wanted "...all the blackcurrants..." for her own jam!
:lol::oops:

Just finished watching Whisky Galore on catchup - I'm sure that the character of Captain Waggett must have been an inspiration for the character of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army. :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd like to see "Alas Smith and Jones" again, and "A Touch of Fry and Laurie".

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I was wondering yesterday how far in advance the game shows were recorded. We still seem to be getting new editions of The Chase and Tipping Point at the moment. I assume that they record multiple issues back to back the way BBC Radio do with ISIHAC.

I know game shows are done in batches (two of my colleagues did Pointless and they were part of a dozen filmed over two days.)

WWE also batch film their NXT UK show (they did some filming last month in Coventry with some more that was due to be filmed at the NXT UK Takeover in Dublin (and then May 1/2 in Bournemouth)

High Dyke

Established Member
The BBC are replaying in full the TMS commentary of the 2019 Headingley Test Match. On 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC sounds starting from 10:45am this morning. Each day until Saturday at normal test match playing times. Plenty of drama involved!
Absolutely! With the weather yesterday afternoon it was a perfect way to relax, well sort of. Sun out, beer in hand - cricket in play.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes, it might well be. It's so long since I've seen it !
Strictly speaking it was "A bit of Fry & Laurie" some of the time... they even had a sketch where the two of them mock-seriously discussed the various title-cards they'd had over their run, and the use of the ampersand versus the word "and"!

SteveP29

The BBC are replaying in full the TMS commentary of the 2019 Headingley Test Match. On 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC sounds starting from 10:45am this morning. Each day until Saturday at normal test match playing times. Plenty of drama involved!

Until they were Furloughed a couple of weeks ago, the social media staff of Newcastle United were doing full re-runs of classic matches from yesteryear on a Saturday at 3pm, as if they were about to happen, we got team lineups at 2pm, then a minute by minute commentary as the match progressed, complete with goal celebrations, half time comments, full time reaction from players and manager. It was really good, a nice distraction from the fact there was no live football to report on, we got the 4-4 draw with Arsenal, then the 5-0 win over Man Utd. Then fatty went and spoiled it by Furloughing them. Still, if he's gone in the next couple of weeks, it may get restored before the season resumes.

Men Behaving Badly & Game On were probably the better of the 1990s sitcoms but they never seem to be rerun as much.

CJ

Game On is on the on demand sections of Sky and Now TV

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Only ever seen him in adverts after Game On ended

Every time I see Matthew Cottle I always remember the 'ginger t**ser!' - I reckon the PC brigade would probably not allow language like that now. Its not sexist, racist or homophobic but I'm sure there will be a member of the Ginger Hair Association who would probably challenge the BBC for victimising a minority of people!!!

I believe Matthew Cottle has done quite a lot of theatre work since Game On, but as I say he has not had any leading TV roles. He was in the series The Personal Life of David Copperfield recently, so he is still working in the industry - he general plays upper class characters these days.

Wouldn't it be great if they brought back Game On now to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the show? Matthew would probably be sectioned, Martin would be the high flying business man with a perverted streak while Mandy would be the middle aged cougar.

CJ

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Until they were Furloughed a couple of weeks ago, the social media staff of Newcastle United were doing full re-runs of classic matches from yesteryear on a Saturday at 3pm, as if they were about to happen, we got team lineups at 2pm, then a minute by minute commentary as the match progressed, complete with goal celebrations, half time comments, full time reaction from players and manager. It was really good, a nice distraction from the fact there was no live football to report on, we got the 4-4 draw with Arsenal, then the 5-0 win over Man Utd. Then fatty went and spoiled it by Furloughing them. Still, if he's gone in the next couple of weeks, it may get restored before the season resumes.

Game On is on the on demand sections of Sky and Now TV
Only ever seen him in adverts after Game On ended

Status
Not open for further replies.