Sittingbourne to Calais

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by ashworth, 1 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashworth

ashworth Established Member

I'm staying for a few days at the end of this month at Sittingbourne in Kent. Whilst there I'm going to make use of the 3 Day Kent Rover but also wondered about doing a day trip to France.

Looking at the P&O website I don't seem to be able to find anything under £50 for a Day Return as a foot passenger for Dover to Calais. I was quite surprised by this high cost as when I was down there a few years ago it was very cheap to get a Day Return as a foot passenger. Would I be able to get any far cheaper deals by paying on the day in Dover?

I've also done research and found out that the not very often publicised South Eastern + P&O Day Return does seem to be available from Sittingbourne for just £25.50. Would I encounter any problems purchasing this ticket at Sittingbourne as I have heard about problems regarding staff not knowing how to correctly issue this ticket including boarding cards etc. I've never used this ticket before and so would appreciate any information that would make an easy smooth trip with no problems if I did decide to do it.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2015
  2. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

I've used this ticket on three separate occasions (albeit from different stations) and only got the boarding card aka "control ticket" once. It wasn't a huge problem as on the Dover side they keep the train ticket as evidence and on the Calais side they can photocopy your ticket.

3. OwlMan

OwlMan Established Member

If you get yourself a bike there are saver (fixed journey time) tickets available for £6.50 each way for entain days.

4. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

There are regular promotions in the local press in Kent for cheap day trips to Calais with foot passenger fares starting at £5. Nothing in this week's editions unfortunately but if I spot anything I'll send you a PM.

Also in June 2014 the Daily Mail ran a promotion offering day returns with P&O for £1 so that might happen again shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.