• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Six wheeled coaches on BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchmaker

Established Member
I recently bought Hugh Longworths book "British Railways pre-nationalisation coaching stock Volume 2 LMS & SR". It contains listings of every LMS & SR coach taken over by BR at nationalisation. I was surprised just how many pre-grouping coaches were included, but the most remarkable fact that I discovered was that quite a number of Caledonian 6 wheeled coaches survived into the early 1950s. Has anyone seen any photos of these in BR days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I recently bought Hugh Longworths book "British Railways pre-nationalisation coaching stock Volume 2 LMS & SR". It contains listings of every LMS & SR coach taken over by BR at nationalisation. I was surprised just how many pre-grouping coaches were included, but the most remarkable fact that I discovered was that quite a number of Caledonian 6 wheeled coaches survived into the early 1950s. Has anyone seen any photos of these in BR days?
I'd also be interested in any 6 wheel bogied vehicles under BR.

AJP62

Some ex LMS 6 wheeled parcels vans were still in use in the late 70s I think. Painted in the same blue as GUVs. Were they Stove Rs? I remember seeing them in West Coast parcels trains at Carlisle.

delt1c

Established Member
Some ex LMS 6 wheeled parcels vans were still in use in the late 70s I think. Painted in the same blue as GUVs. Were they Stove Rs? I remember seeing them in West Coast parcels trains at Carlisle.
There were also 6 wheeled ex LNER parcels vans in the 70’s but by that time all pre nationalisation brake stock had hairs equipment removed

Taunton

Established Member
LMS bogie sleepers survived into BR. I used to use one between Preston and Euston.
They were actually built by BR well after its formation, in the early 1950s at Wolverton, probably the last LMS-design passenger carrying vehicles. They were BR crimson/cream at the start, and lasted into the 1970s, electrically hauled on the WCML (so ETH fitted), when they were I think the last 12-wheel vehicles. Were they 70 feet long?

matchmaker

Established Member
They were actually built by BR well after its formation, in the early 1950s at Wolverton, probably the last LMS-design passenger carrying vehicles. They were BR crimson/cream at the start, and lasted into the 1970s, electrically hauled on the WCML (so ETH fitted), when they were I think the last 12-wheel vehicles. Were they 70 feet long?
Nearly. 69 feet. The LMS design but BR built 65 foot second class sleepers lasted into the mid 1970s. I remember seeing a rake in Aberdeen.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Nearly. 69 feet. The LMS design but BR built 65 foot second class sleepers lasted into the mid 1970s. I remember seeing a rake in Aberdeen.
Thanks for this.. I had no idea BR built them, let alone they were in BR Blue. Did any Royal train 12 wheelers outlast even these?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for this.. I had no idea BR built them, let alone they were in BR Blue. Did any Royal train 12 wheelers outlast even these?
for the BR built 12 wheeler sleepers see link I posted above
M398M was purchased by a group of BRPS working members to provide overnight accommodation for themselves at Sheffield Park. The car was built at BR Wolverton Works to diagram 2166 and Lot No.1584 in 1952 and was a development of a LMS design which first appeared in 1935.

The 6-wheeled bogies were intended to give a smoother ride to the first class occupants. As built, it had 12 compartments with one bed and a wash basin in each.

DerekC

Established Member
Not Caledonian, but partly on-topic. Quainton Road has three (I think) ex-GNR 6-wheelers which survived until BR days - mainly in departmental stock. Here's a link to one of them:

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/gnr_no1472.htm

This six-wheeled vehicle was built for the East Coast Joint Stock to a standard GNR design. Traces of the original East Coast Joint Stock livery, from an era when it was probably used for services between Kings Cross and Scotland, were found during the original restoration. With the introduction of Gresley bogie vehicles, it was demoted to secondary and branch line duties. Its detailed history is unknown until, like most other old coaches that survive today, No. 1470 was taken into departmental stock when withdrawn from passenger service. It became No. DE940482 and was sent to Boston Motive Power Depot. In 1963 the vehicle was transferred to Hitchin until 1969, when it was purchased by Mr D. Baines who donated it to the Quainton Railway Society. It arrived at Quainton on 13th January 1970. It is 34ft 10½ in long, 8 ft 10¾in wide and 12ft 4¼in high.

randyrippley

Established Member
FWIW in the 1980s six wheeled parcels wagons sometimes turned up on the Waterloo-Exeter service. Rare, but it did happen.
Despite the look these were post-nationalisation built.
What was the speed limit for these? They didn't seem to delay the service

Status
Not open for further replies.