• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SJ X2000 Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurolus Rex

Hi there!

Does anyone know if the tail lights on the X2000 flash?

I've seen other trains in Sweden with flashing tail lights (such as on LHCS stock) but on videos of the X2000 I've seen they don't appear to flash. I queried this with a Swede and they said that it was normal for tail lights to flash in Sweden but i'm wondering if there's an exception with the X2000 or not.

Also, on a related note, I've noticed that the DVT (or whatever term is used by SJ) usually uses the lower cluster of lights for the tail lights whilst the locomotive uses the upper cluster. Is there a reason for this?

Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonasB

They did flash when the trains were new, tail lights (except on locos) have traditionally been flashing in Sweden. I'm not sure if has been a requirement or if it just has been a way of making the batteries last longer. But now most (if not all) have been rebuilt with non flashing tail lights. Probably because when the relays controlling the flashing breaks, it has been easier to just remove them. An interesting side note is that they were the first swedish multiple units delivered with the tail lights and head lights in the same cluster, as the requirement for the tail lights to also have white light forward had recently been dropped.

Originally all tail lights where in the upper cluster. But some of the control cars/driving trailers, whatever you want to call them (SJ designates them UB2X) has had them moved. I'm not sure how many has has them moved and if it is a permanent change or if it has been a test of new headlights for the big refurbishment of the X2000s.

Flashing lights:
Steady lights:

Last edited:

Kurolus Rex

They did flash when the trains were new, tail lights (except on locos) have traditionally been flashing in Sweden. I'm not sure if has been a requirement or if it just has been a way of making the batteries last longer. But now most (if not all) have been rebuilt with non flashing tail lights. Probably because when the relays controlling the flashing breaks, it has been easier to just remove them. An interesting side note is that they were the first swedish multiple units delivered with the tail lights and head lights in the same cluster, as the requirement for the tail lights to also have white light forward had recently been dropped.

Originally all tail lights where in the upper cluster. But some of the control cars/driving trailers, whatever you want to call them (SJ designates them UB2X) has had them moved. I'm not sure how many has has them moved and if it is a permanent change or if it has been a test of new headlights for the big refurbishment of the X2000s.

Flashing lights:
Steady lights:

Thanks for the info!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks also for the info JonasB.

What is the current status of the 'big' X2000 refurbishment? Have any units been started or finished?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Here's another Swedish observation, sory of related... from a driver's cab ride video, it appears that Öresundtåg drivers can flash their headlights in a familiar sign of greeting one another. See this video at 1:35 as we pass a stationary train awaiting a platform at Alvetsa.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Loved the X2000 on a journey from Stockholm to Katrineholm in 2006. Sadly I didn't travel X2000 when I revisited Sverige in 2010 and I haven't been for the near-decade since

JonasB

Here's another Swedish observation, sory of related... from a driver's cab ride video, it appears that Öresundtåg drivers can flash their headlights in a familiar sign of greeting one another. See this video at 1:35 as we pass a stationary train awaiting a platform at Alvetsa.

Yes, all locos and MUs are required to be able to flash their headlight, it is used as a warning signal in emergencies. But this looked like the regular high beams.

TRAX

Established Member

this is also a popular habit in Germany and surrounding countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.