• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness 47s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
The extra summer Saturday service is a HST. Has been for the last 2? years. 0750ish ex Derby and 1130ish ex Skegness.

Other services are strengthened, unit availability permitting.

Established Member
The extra summer Saturday service is a HST. Has been for the last 2? years.

Bloddy hell, bit behind the times. Never been to Skeggy so thought I could combine it with a trip on something that isn't a DMU.

Rich_D3167

The Skegness HST started in Summer 2009 I believe with 2 round trips starting from Nottingham. This was cut back to a single round trip in 2010 and started from Derby. I remember riding on a round trip from Skegness in 2009, and it was a 30mph stagger all the way from Skegness to Boston, with a couple of 5mph restrictions over some bridges. When I saw a HST on the branch at Havenhouse last year, it passed at linespeed (50mph), so the 30mph restriction for locos has at least been removed in places (or may be just a case for HST's). This year could see the whole line being back up to linespeed thanks to the track renewals.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The Skegness HST started in Summer 2009 I believe with 2 round trips starting from Nottingham. This was cut back to a single round trip in 2010 and started from Derby. I remember riding on a round trip from Skegness in 2009, and it was a 30mph stagger all the way from Skegness to Boston, with a couple of 5mph restrictions over some bridges. When I saw a HST on the branch at Havenhouse last year, it passed at linespeed (50mph), so the 30mph restriction for locos has at least been removed in places (or may be just a case for HST's). This year could see the whole line being back up to linespeed thanks to the track renewals.

By the sound of things that line must have some of the oldest track on the network. Even at 50 mph I can't see this being competitive with road transport.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
By the sound of things that line must have some of the oldest track on the network. Even at 50 mph I can't see this being competitive with road transport.

The A52 between Nottingham and Skegness is a horrendous road, and requires you to drive through Grantham and Boston. The traffic on summer weekends can be really bad towards Skegness (and for miles before, with caravans on the road) - finding somewhere to park can also be a challenger. The train, even at low speed can be competitive. The Nottingham to Skegness coach service has also been withdrawn as the operator went bust.

I believe there have been further enhancements to the Poacher line, which will allow the HST services to run at line speed for more of the journey. Can anyone confirm this?

Established Member
HST is still decent traction, so will have a look in the diary and see what I can do.

TheBigD

Established Member
I believe there have been further enhancements to the Poacher line, which will allow the HST services to run at line speed for more of the journey. Can anyone confirm this?

Now 60mph Boston to Frisby, except for a bridge near Bellwater Box which is 10mph I think, 30 mph round the curve then 50mph to Skegness.

Status
Not open for further replies.