• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness HST 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeJuice

Today (5th) Yes, both diagrams.

1S01 / 1S02 is a full EMR Red set. NL56 - 43318 44063 42199 42198 42240 42239 40711 41100 43307

1S03 / 1S04: NL10 - 43320 44051 42149 42148 42341 42328 40756 41076 41075 43310

Booked to run on the 12th, but can't say for certain yet.

Any idea why NL56 (red set today) was formed of 7 coaches rather than the usual 8?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Any idea why NL56 (red set today) was formed of 7 coaches rather than the usual 8?
Yes, missing a 1st class carriage. Assumed still undergoing work to make it fit for use (maybe?)

Interesting you say that because I much preferred my time on NL51 a few weeks back as opposed to the old sets.
Just for clarity 43 302, I wasn't referring to the respective levels of seating comfort, interior style, or on board facils. Just meant in relation to 'wear and tear' as it were.

Also nice to see at least on the display screens it was a titled train: "The Jolly Fisherman"

No sign of vestibule window marshalls as was reported last year. I take it that was not deemed needed this year.

Last edited:

Established Member
Yes, missing a 1st class carriage. Assumed still undergoing work to make it fit for use (maybe?)

Just for clarity 43 302, I wasn't referring to the respective levels of seating comfort, interior style, or on board facils. Just meant in relation to 'wear and tear' as it were.

Also nice to see at least on the display screens it was a titled train: "The Jolly Fisherman"

No sign of vestibule window marshalls as was reported last year. I take it that was not deemed needed this year.
I believe the EMT sets had a refresh in the last few years which included new head rests and arm rests in first class for the more obvious things, not sure what else was carried out.

It is nice to see named trains continuing. Unlike other EMR trains there is no mention of The Jolly Fisherman in the timetable.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I believe the EMT sets had a refresh in the last few years which included new head rests and arm rests in first class for the more obvious things, not sure what else was carried out.

It is nice to see named trains continuing. Unlike other EMR trains there is no mention of The Jolly Fisherman in the timetable.
Thanks - I think you may be correct about that, although the main interior refurbs (eg the new fabric upholstery) were carried out earlier in the EMR period. But it was mainly the hard surfaces that seemed a bit tatty, not the 'soft' areas - eg formica surfaces, seat shells etc.

Yes, I never saw any other references to the Jolly Fisherman name apart from on the display screens, which was a shame. Nice touch though.

It looks like the runs for next saturday are at least in Real Time Trains, which I believe would be the last runs of the season, and in theory the last EMR HSTs to Skegness as they should be gone by next summer. I wonder if they will work to clear Meridian's for the route?

LowLevel

Established Member
The HSTs had an interior refresh with new seat cushions/covers and other repairs, new windows and underframe overhauls in the last year of EMT with a view to them being life extended. Then at the last minute the DfT instructed the use of the basically life expired and run down LNER sets that were intended to be scrapped. Thus the Midland HST sets which are in better condition have been sent to the breakers.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The HSTs had an interior refresh with new seat cushions/covers and other repairs, new windows and underframe overhauls in the last year of EMT with a view to them being life extended. Then at the last minute the DfT instructed the use of the basically life expired and run down LNER sets that were intended to be scrapped. Thus the Midland HST sets which are in better condition have been sent to the breakers.
Thanks - sums it up well!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only 1 set now today. The 0753 is cancelled from Nottingham due to a brake fault. :frown:

LowLevel

Established Member
Apart from enthusiasts, does the Skegness route still warrant their use this late in the season?

They're less busy but yes, the luggage space in particular is invaluable. Skegites are known for their fondness of suitcases as tall as they are. Taking a 158 up is a nightmare, usually amongst the worst trains are September to October half term when the multied up formations go back to 2 car but there is still some demand

Andy Pacer

Established Member
They're less busy but yes, the luggage space in particular is invaluable. Skegites are known for their fondness of suitcases as tall as they are. Taking a 158 up is a nightmare, usually amongst the worst trains are September to October half term when the multied up formations go back to 2 car but there is still some demand
I recall from my commuting days on the 0612 Syston to Leicester, usually diagrammed a 158 and goes onto Skegs later, it would often be a 156 in the summer for the luggage space.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would of expected them to be busy during the half term but things usually quieten down in between. The luggage on the short breaks to Yarmouth is unbelievable sometimes. I was once told they bring everything valuable as the areas they live in are particularly bad for burglary whilst they are away. How very sad.

richardderby

'Jolly fisherman' final HST service on this route :'(

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_121757.jpg
    IMG_20200912_121757.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200912_121839.jpg
    IMG_20200912_121839.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20200912_121729.jpg
    IMG_20200912_121729.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 77

WesternLancer

Established Member
Apart from enthusiasts, does the Skegness route still warrant their use this late in the season?
last sat when I was on plenty of families using the eastbound services. Butlins breaks get cheaper right at the end of the season / school hols which creates a late demand. Topped up by enthusiasts too. Last sat was by far the busiest train, more on than the London HST at the same dept time!

'Jolly fisherman' final HST service on this route :'(
Nice to see those pics. I heard that due to another unavailable HST set on the mainline, the 12.35 ex skeg was swapped into a London diagram instead of going back to Nevill Hill ECS. Though it does not look on RTT that this last Skeg departure went thru to St Pancras.

Last edited:

D1012

last sat when I was on plenty of families using the eastbound services. Butlins breaks get cheaper right at the end of the season / school hols which creates a late demand. Topped up by enthusiasts too. Last sat was by far the busiest train, more on than the London HST at the same dept time!

Nice to see those pics. I heard that due to another unavailable HST set on the mainline, the 12.35 ex skeg was swapped into a London diagram instead of going back to Nevill Hill ECS. Though it does not look on RTT that this last Skeg departure went thru to St Pancras.
Correct. The HST formed the 15.45 NOT to STP.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm assuming next summer longer trains to Skeg on summer sats will either have to be multiple EMR Regional DMUs to make longer rakes, or use spare Meridians, if they are cleared for the route / get cleared to permit their use.
Or 180s....

Well this presumes HSTs don't get another DDA derogation extension of course

So I guess that is 4 possible options!

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was silently thinking this but darent open that can of worms!!
Point well made! Will be interesting to see, but if 170s are coming on stream at least for next year logic might suggest longer rakes of 158s / 156s (or even 170s since they served Skeg in Central Trains days IIRC) is the simplest option, but who would want to rule out an HST at this point in time...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I'm assuming next summer longer trains to Skeg on summer sats will either have to be multiple EMR Regional DMUs to make longer rakes, or use spare Meridians, if they are cleared for the route / get cleared to permit their use.
Or 180s....

Well this presumes HSTs don't get another DDA derogation extension of course

So I guess that is 4 possible options!
5 options.

Hire in a heritage HST set and refresh the drivers and guards on them.

High Dyke

Established Member
Or 180s....
Probably the former. Currently the Meridians aren't cleared beyond Sleaford, but as you mention they could be cleared to permit usage. I'm not certain what the current restriction is exactly.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Certainly didn't on the return. When we arrived at Skeggy there was a small queue of people waiting but most were directed to the 12:15 unit. The majority of passengers I expect on the HST were enthusiasts.

dk1

Veteran Member
Certainly didn't on the return. When we arrived at Skeggy there was a small queue of people waiting but most were directed to the 12:15 unit. The majority of passengers I expect on the HST were enthusiasts.
Thanks. As I expected lol.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think this is due to the fact that the Butlins exit time is more suited to the earlier HST back (which was cancelled) - it would be better for the second one to wait and rtn about 4 or 5pm to pick up day trippers too. I assume for crewing reasons it doesn't do that. I think a few years back one HST did rtn later on as I recall a day trip I did an HST both ways with much longer time spent in Skeg for the day. So it's probably about getting the balance right.

But as I say there may be crewing reasons for the rtn times (as opposed to customer orientated reasons!)

TheBigD

Established Member
I think this is due to the fact that the Butlins exit time is more suited to the earlier HST back (which was cancelled) - it would be better for the second one to wait and rtn about 4 or 5pm to pick up day trippers too. I assume for crewing reasons it doesn't do that. I think a few years back one HST did rtn later on as I recall a day trip I did an HST both ways with much longer time spent in Skeg for the day. So it's probably about getting the balance right.

But as I say there may be crewing reasons for the rtn times (as opposed to customer orientated reasons!)

For the first couple of years (2009/10?) it did 2 return trips. 2nd on was (from memory) 1420 from Notts and 1705 from Skeggy. This was before the track upgrades and it was 30 mph all the way from Boston to Skegness and return.

Think it changed when EMT got the four extra 156s from Northern and it allowed the 1730 and 1815 from Skeggy to be strengthen to 5 cars and 4 respectively.

WesternLancer

Established Member
For the first couple of years (2009/10?) it did 2 return trips. 2nd on was (from memory) 1420 from Notts and 1705 from Skeggy. This was before the track upgrades and it was 30 mph all the way from Boston to Skegness and return.

Think it changed when EMT got the four extra 156s from Northern and it allowed the 1730 and 1815 from Skeggy to be strengthen to 5 cars and 4 respectively.
Ah yes, of course, that all rings a bell - thanks!

bunnahabhain

Established Member

Nope, its an out and back diagram to/from Nottingham for both driver and guard, plus two Derby mainline diagrams to fetch and return the unit to/from Neville Hill, although last year due to the disruption at Derby it was one of two Nottingham drivers who signed Neville Hill for the purpose of fetching both sets out from Neville Hill, they were relieved at Sheffield on the first one for a fast taxi back to Neville Hill for bringing the second one through to Nottingham for relief, and then the reverse in the evening to get the sets back to Neville Hill. Quite a novel idea by the depot manager at the time to ensure we kept the additionals running!

Also in 2016 it ran in place of the 0955 and 1445 15x turn, but it lost so much time on the turnaround at Skegness that it wasn't repeated. I believe that was due to a shortage of available 15x that year.

High Dyke

Established Member
Also in 2016 it ran in place of the 0955 and 1445 15x turn, but it lost so much time on the turnaround at Skegness that it wasn't repeated. I believe that was due to a shortage of available 15x that year.
And the fact they had to provide a rail replacement bus for the intermediate stations the train couldn't call at. Ironically at Heckington it was quicker to catch the Up service to Sleaford, change there to the HST rather than wait for the RRB to Skeg.

On Moderation

Back at the start they also ran on the late May and August bank holiday Mondays, aimed at day trippers with the set staying all day in Skegness.

Status
Not open for further replies.