• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve050462

Hi - my first post.

I visited Skegness Station recently for the first time in many years. It appeared to me that only 2 out of the 6 platforms (Numbers 3 and 4) were actually in regular use. Does anybody know whether the other 4 platforms are ever used and if all of the relevant pointwork at the country end of the station is still serviceable to allow access to the carriage sidings. I understand that the Signalbox is now listed, and will be interested how the track layout changes in the future with resignalling etc. Would appreciate any information others may be able to provide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
I don't think the other 4 platforms are used currently although I think that can be used if they need to be. According to National Rail platforms 2 and 7 are out of use but they are still marked on the station plan.

With many seaside terminals there are more platforms than there needs to be because there used to be a large amount of excursion trains which since the 1990s have mostly been withdrawn although the platforms for the excursions remain. This is not unique to Skegness both Blackpool North (8) and Scarborough (5) have many more platforms that their current capacity requires.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Blackpool North goes down to 6 (and is straightened out) with OHLE juicing I believe.

chessie

Remember the grander times of Skegness station during the 80s when every platform would be in use with the most random loco hauled trains on a Summer Saturday. I'm still a fairly regular user of Skeggy station and as noted above I really can't remember the last time a train pulled into any other platform than 3 or 4.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I doubt it could be done, but what would make Skegness even grander would be a direct service to London via Sleaford / Spalding (what with it being a little more direct). So the little used platforms 5 and 6 could be used.

chessie

If you travel this line during Jan/Feb when theirs minimal tourists, the local trade cant even half fill a class 153, I'd say summer Saturday services to Leeds and Leicester via Nottingham would be more beneficial. Recently read a report re static caravans as you do, skeg has about the most in Europe, most of the owners live around mid Derbyshire/Notts area with the renters coming from just a little further afield...most of whom think skeggy is impossible to get to by train. There is an untapped market pending advance tickets being reintroduced.

Would also help if Sunday service was enhanced but reading the Lincolnshire thread sort of explains why that never happens

youngiecj

MAinly uses platform 2. Unless there is a charter or HST in during the summer. You can use all platforms still but you can only use platforms 5,6,7 during daylight hours as there is no lighting on there !

MAinly uses platform 2. Unless there is a charter or HST in during the summer. You can use all platforms still but you can only use platforms 5,6,7 during daylight hours as there is no lighting on there !

I guess during the summer months its feasible there could be a charter, the summer HST and a 156 down there at the same time

railnerd

Hi.

Standing at the top of Skegness station in early evening looking at all them lights coming at the semaphores, makes me think of only one thing...

"pity most of its for show!"

There certainly has been a lot of development around the station area in the past 10 years or so. New superstores popping up all around and the bus station taking hold etc. But strangely, NR seems reluctant to lose some of those unused platforms. I'm not sure how many platforms, signals and levers in the box are technically OOU. I can find out if you want!:D

Hi.

Standing at the top of Skegness station in early evening looking at all them lights coming at the semaphores, makes me think of only one thing...

"pity most of its for show!"

There certainly has been a lot of development around the station area in the past 10 years or so. New superstores popping up all around and the bus station taking hold etc. But strangely, NR seems reluctant to lose some of those unused platforms. I'm not sure how many platforms, signals and levers in the box are technically OOU. I can find out if you want!:D

Who says it is NR decision, the station might be listed, even if the station isn't and it does appear to be down to NR it is not as simple as NR going in lifting track and demolishing platforms as there are other stakeholders such as the council and EMT who run the station

Besides I am sure NR have bigger fish to fry not to mention cost of demolition

railnerd

Hi.

I dont think Skegness station can be listed, considering all the bits of it that were pulled down in the last 10 years.

Also, I'm pretty sure NR would like to turn it into a two platformed terminus and a spare siding for tampers etc. It would be more economical for them, save the cost of maintaining all that redundant track currently there.

I wouldnt be surprised if the council dont want them to lose more of the station. It is after all a fairly impressive station to look at. Well, down the track anyway at all them semaphores. The station does bring in people during the season, albeit at a much reduced level to the glory years.

But, then again, maybe CockneySparrow is right. Network Rail don't want the cost of demolition. After all, they arent a company for wasting money are they? ;)

Steve050462

Thanks all for your replies. I would be keen to understand what the position is regards the use of signals, pointwork, sidings and the platforms at Skegness. I spent many summers working at the resort staying with relatives and remember vividly seeing all of those loco hauled trains and crowds of people filling the station concourse at the beginning/end of their holidays.

So far as the future use of the station is concerned the reality is that at some point in time there is bound to be some rationalisation of tracks, platforms, signals etc. For seaside towns such as Skeggy though they need excellent transport links to support economic wellbeing, given that the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair are capturing the holidaymarket with routes to the spanish costas. I'd like to see direct links to Leicester restored and also to some of the South Yorkshire towns - surely a route via Sleaford and Lincoln could be integrated into present EMT and Northern routes.

LowLevel

Established Member
NR proposed rationalising it to 2 or 3 platforms recently but it's been binned. Platform 1 is under the Jobcentre/Morrisons car park etc. Platform 2 is usable for non passenger services such as tampers and indeed is from time to time. Not fit for passenger use though. Platform 3 is the main platform, 4 is the backup, 5 is out of use due to a minor signalling/track (can't remember which) defect but could be put back in if required as effort permits. It's been used in the last 5 years. 6 and 7 are long term OOU due to track defects and have no lamps in the signals. All but 3 and 4 are daytime only.

The Carriage Sidings are also available for use.

thenorthern

Established Member
Remember as well with Skegness that until 10 years ago most trains there were through trains from Crewe which because they crossed 3 main lines they were very often delayed once they reached Skegness.

When this was happening the other platforms may have been used more to fit more trains because of platform congestion caused by delays.

Rich_D3167

Last time I visited Skegness station, there was a sleeper chained over the track on the Platform 7 line near the Signal Box, so that platform cannot be used! I've only ever seen On Track Machines in Platform 2, and an Officer's Special (Class 37 & "Caroline") in Platform 5. With the level of traffic Skegness gets, 2 platforms is more than sufficient.

Mark62

The damage has been done to stations like Skegness, Scarborough, Cleethorpes, Blackpool. Summer Saturday holiday services were wilfully run down down BR. One could say it was in the interests of privatisation and to make it all more attractive to big business. The thatcher government made no attempt to hide their indifference to the railways and The prime minister hated rail travel.
I do believe that Scarborough once had around 12 platforms. I vividly remember them all being full of trains as were the extensive sidings. The demolished platforms and sidings have all been long sold off to private development companies and industrial estates etc occupy the sidings that once took a massive amount of passengers to the seaside. I remember those trains being full and standing and I also remember when the run down started. Prices went up, trains got shorter, hence more over crowding, trains were continually cancelled. The services were made very unattractive to passengers. Fewer trains ran until they all stopped and everyone gave up. The railways gave up on the passengers rather than the reverse. Cause and effect.
Sadly those days will never return as the damage is well and truly done. The extra platforms at places like Skegness may as well be demolished as they only serve as a reminder of what we have lost. Give the public a new shopping mall. After all, they don't want the trains anymore. Such a sad story of wilful destruction.

jamesst

The damage has been done to stations like Skegness, Scarborough, Cleethorpes, Blackpool. Summer Saturday holiday services were wilfully run down down BR. One could say it was in the interests of privatisation and to make it all more attractive to big business. The thatcher government made no attempt to hide their indifference to the railways and The prime minister hated rail travel.
I do believe that Scarborough once had around 12 platforms. I vividly remember them all being full of trains as were the extensive sidings. The demolished platforms and sidings have all been long sold off to private development companies and industrial estates etc occupy the sidings that once took a massive amount of passengers to the seaside. I remember those trains being full and standing and I also remember when the run down started. Prices went up, trains got shorter, hence more over crowding, trains were continually cancelled. The services were made very unattractive to passengers. Fewer trains ran until they all stopped and everyone gave up. The railways gave up on the passengers rather than the reverse. Cause and effect.
Sadly those days will never return as the damage is well and truly done. The extra platforms at places like Skegness may as well be demolished as they only serve as a reminder of what we have lost. Give the public a new shopping mall. After all, they don't want the trains anymore. Such a sad story of wilful destruction.

Mostly true but a bit over dramatic!
Cheap overseas air travel must surely also be a factor here?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Mostly true but a bit over dramatic!
Cheap overseas air travel must surely also be a factor here?

Just a little bit. Cheap international travel, an increase in disposable income and changing tastes of much of the population. It's sad for our coastal resorts, but I wouldn't exactly say places like Skegness struggle during the Summer - and the trains continue to be well loaded to say the least!

MCR247

Established Member
Lets face it if you're put off from going to Skegness it isn't going to be down to the lack of train service :lol:

itsjustmyjob

Through all this you omit one very important, yet crucial point.
Lots of people went out and bought cars, so didn't need to travel by train any more.
Once you've bought one, insured it then put fuel in it, that is always going to become an attractive way to get somewhere!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just a little bit. Cheap international travel, an increase in disposable income and changing tastes of much of the population. It's sad for our coastal resorts, but I wouldn't exactly say places like Skegness struggle during the Summer - and the trains continue to be well loaded to say the least!

Also BR deciding, rightly or wrongly, that it wasn't worthwhile to maintain rolling stock (and in some cases infrastructure) that was only used on a few days each year. The roads, both car and coach, now have most of what's left of the seaside holiday market.

railnerd

Hi.

Sorry for going off topic here.

I think I'm right in saying that when Firsby etc. closed in 1970, the writing was on the wall for Skegness. It was never the main line railway, it was always just a branch line from Firsby to the end of the line.

Back in 1970, if road traffic was as heavy as it is today, I'm pretty sure the line would have been closed from Boston upwards. Maybe even Sleaford!

Indeed, back in the early 1980s, in order to save money, the line between Sleaford and Skegness went through drastic reduction with single lines being introduced at several locations between Sleaford and Sibsey.

I'm actually amazed that it is still double track from Sibsey to Skegness. It looks like the signal boxes (of which there are many) are going to survive for around another 5 years! Unlike the joint line, theres no real reason to upgrade the Skegness line. Freight isnt going to be using it in hurry is it?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I do believe that Scarborough once had around 12 platforms. I vividly remember them all being full of trains as were the extensive sidings. The demolished platforms and sidings have all been long sold off to private development companies and industrial estates etc occupy the sidings that once took a massive amount of passengers to the seaside.

To use a Lancashire coastal similarity, Blackpool Central station, ideally situated in the centre of the town and near to the major town-centre attractions and the promenade, piers and the beach, had 14 platforms. This was closed in 1964 and must have been a contender for the title of the closed station with most platforms in that time period of station closures.

To use a Lancashire coastal similarity, Blackpool Central station, ideally situated in the centre of the town and near to the major town-centre attractions and the promenade, piers and the beach, had 14 platforms. This was closed in 1964 and must have been a contender for the title of the closed station with most platforms in that time period of station closures.

Blackpool I a different case altogether in the sense that there was still Blackpool North, having two stations similar in size with a dwindling market makes no sense, besides Blackpool council have always been an odd outfit to deal, they have recently compulsory purchased Bed & Breakfasts some used some disused in that same area as Blackpool Central station and demolished them to build affordable houses, also strangely they have closed the Tower Lounge in the centre of Blackpool which has lost them a load of money
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Through all this you omit one very important, yet crucial point.
Lots of people went out and bought cars, so didn't need to travel by train any more.
Once you've bought one, insured it then put fuel in it, that is always going to become an attractive way to get somewhere!

Having said that with todays climate there are many that cant afford to run a car anymore so are turning back to the train or bus, either people want to save the £50 bill for insurance each month and use it for food/clothes etc or those that have cars that failed the MOT and can't afford a new car not to mention increasing petrol and rip off parking charges hence the increase in rail travel over the last 10 years
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lets face it if you're put off from going to Skegness it isn't going to be down to the lack of train service :lol:

Never travelled the line but something tells me its a painful experience especially past Boston, travelling at such low speed and sitting in a packed train on a hot day isn't much fun

MCR247

Established Member
A packed train full of screaming babies and kids, and mothers shouting at them. Let's just say Skegness attracts a certain type of people that makes sure everyone else stays well clear of the place!

Steve050462

Anybody seen what Network Rail proposals will be regarding future re-signalling on the line? I'd expect that to be the time when any major changes to the infrastructure takes place.

railnerd

Hi.

The last I heard was that the Grantham - Skegness line was to re-signalled around 2020. Possibly even 2021!

Lets face it, north of Boston theres no freight likely to run and therefore NR wont make the money to do it that way! Thats 12 signalboxes to get rid of.

Of course, we know it can be done!:cry:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Hi.

The last I heard was that the Grantham - Skegness line was to re-signalled around 2020. Possibly even 2021!

Lets face it, north of Boston theres no freight likely to run and therefore NR wont make the money to do it that way! Thats 12 signalboxes to get rid of.

Of course, we know it can be done!:cry:

Modular signalling is supposed to have reduced costs enough that the reduction of labour costs is enough to make a business case for replacing AB signalling. However it is unlikely to be a big priority given the pressure on signalling design and installation resources.

LowLevel

Established Member
I think the difference between the Skeg line and other local lines that have gone for resignalling is that the boxes are mostly pretty low grade and there's no crossing keepers etc like the joint line - it's been upgraded to an extent already so while it's not one or two men on a workstation, it's much better than elsewhere. With the length of it and how remote places like Bellwater Jn are I suspect they've got much bigger fish to fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.