• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness Summer HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea if EMT are still planning on running the HST to Skegness this summer? Any idea of diagrams and dates yet please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Slightly different diagram this year, the Frequently Requested Diagrams Thread is incorrect at present.

2S11 0853 Derby to Skegness 1158
Via Grantham

2S14 1215 Skegness to Nottingham 1423
Via Grantham

2S21 1445 Nottingham to Skegness 1659
Via Grantham

2S24 1730 Skegness to Derby 2014
Via Grantham and Ilkeston Junction

Mentioned it here too.

Triumph

Slightly different diagram this year, the Frequently Requested Diagrams Thread is incorrect at present.

Via Grantham

Via Grantham

Via Grantham

Mentioned it here too.

And it starts running on 23rd July 2016 (Not the 30th)

Lincoln

Via Grantham

Via Grantham

Via Grantham

Mentioned it here too.

Quick correction - 2S24 avoids Grantham.

Links to all Skegness trains with HST traction on Realtime Trains for 23 July:

TheBigD

Established Member
Just out of interest what's the reason for the revised HST service this year???

The equivalent 0955/1445 Nottingham-Skegness and 1215/1730 returns ran as a 5 car 153/156/158 service in addition to the 0753 Derby-Skegness and 1140 return HST service... Are the displaced units being used to strengthen other Skegness services, particularly the 1045 Nottingham-Skegness or are they being used elsewhere, eg Nottingham-Liverpool, and thus reducing overall Skegness line summer capacity???

Cheers!!!

louis97

Established Member
Just out of interest what's the reason for the revised HST service this year???

The equivalent 0955/1445 Nottingham-Skegness and 1215/1730 returns ran as a 5 car 153/156/158 service in addition to the 0753 Derby-Skegness and 1140 return HST service... Are the displaced units being used to strengthen other Skegness services, particularly the 1045 Nottingham-Skegness or are they being used elsewhere, eg Nottingham-Liverpool, and thus reducing overall Skegness line summer capacity???

Cheers!!!

Extra unit required this year for the new Saturday extensions of the Matlock services to Newark. Presume the extra unit has been taken off the Skegness runs.

TheBigD

Established Member
Extra unit required this year for the new Saturday extensions of the Matlock services to Newark. Presume the extra unit has been taken off the Skegness runs.

The resources used for the Skegness line remained unchanged after the arrival of the extra 158 from SWT even though the Newark services didn't run on a Saturday... I'm not aware of any Saturday service benefitting from that extra unit, Skeggy or elsewhere, though I'm sure it helps with availability etc...

louis97

Established Member
A 158 was loaned long term from SWT to cover that.

That was to cover the weekday runs, not the Saturday services. On summer saturdays EMT use a significant amount of units strengthening trains, like the trips to Skegness. Last summer the extra unit would have allowed extra slack in the fleet for maintenance, now without this slack in the fleet due to the extra services and an extra unit to maintain something had to change.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
158889 is usually only out weekdays, it requires an A and B exam biweekly (so an exam a week). As such the extra unit to resource the Newark service could only come from a Skegness diagram, the only one you can really pinch a unit from is the Jolly Fisherman diagram which used to be booked 153/156/158, this year it is only booked 153/156, the 158 will be utilised on the Newark-Matlock circuit. This should be fine for most of the summer, however for the school holiday period the HST is running in place of the 15x diagram as it would otherwise be too low in capacity. I *think* there are some diagrams being strengthened for the period where the 3 15x vehicles aren't required, but I can't remember from the top of my head which ones are.

The only downside are it effectively reduces Wainfleet and Heckington to a two hour gap as the bus service replacing the train when it's a HST leaves rather early, especially from Wainfleet! It's making the best of a bad situation, ideally we need another few 15x units to help increase some trains to 2 cars, IE Lincolnshire and Crewe line.

dquebec

158889 is usually only out weekdays, it requires an A and B exam biweekly (so an exam a week). As such the extra unit to resource the Newark service could only come from a Skegness diagram, the only one you can really pinch a unit from is the Jolly Fisherman diagram which used to be booked 153/156/158, this year it is only booked 153/156, the 158 will be utilised on the Newark-Matlock circuit. This should be fine for most of the summer, however for the school holiday period the HST is running in place of the 15x diagram as it would otherwise be too low in capacity. I *think* there are some diagrams being strengthened for the period where the 3 15x vehicles aren't required, but I can't remember from the top of my head which ones are.

The only downside are it effectively reduces Wainfleet and Heckington to a two hour gap as the bus service replacing the train when it's a HST leaves rather early, especially from Wainfleet! It's making the best of a bad situation, ideally we need another few 15x units to help increase some trains to 2 cars, IE Lincolnshire and Crewe line.

A lot of EMT routes require summer strengthening. Peterborough-Norwich is often full and standing in the summer holidays, with holidaymakers travelling to Great Yarmouth.

TheBigD

Established Member
A lot of EMT routes require summer strengthening. Peterborough-Norwich is often full and standing in the summer holidays, with holidaymakers travelling to Great Yarmouth.

Sadly it's not... I observe these trains nearly daily and even during the July/August season they are not full and standing... Whilst a few trains are certainly busy and there's not a lot of luggage space there simply isn't people standing unless there's been cancellations or disruptions...

The holiday market to Norfolk has changed from the traditional Saturday-Saturday week/2week holiday... I would suggest that Mon to Fri and Fri to Mon breaks in Norfolk are now more popular...

Class 170101

Established Member
Sadly it's not... I observe these trains nearly daily and even during the July/August season they are not full and standing... Whilst a few trains are certainly busy and there's not a lot of luggage space there simply isn't people standing unless there's been cancellations or disruptions...

The holiday market to Norfolk has changed from the traditional Saturday-Saturday week/2week holiday... I would suggest that Mon to Fri and Fri to Mon breaks in Norfolk are now more popular...

AGA are operating like this through the summer with extra capacity on Monday and Friday to / from Great Yarmouth.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I've never left a passenger behind between Norwich and Nottingham, even on a busy service, and generally folk standing are choosing to stand or not looking out empty seats because somebody else is standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.