• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skelmersdale Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camden

Established Member
The cynical answer is that its in a safe Labour seat and therefore its a low priority for either major party, Labour doesn't need to pork barrel (spending taxpayers money to gain votes) in order to win and it isn't worth the Conservatives trying. £250-300m is very rarely spent in the North, its a bit less than half the cost of Northern Hub for instance. I think its a good idea but a reduced plan B on the basis I suggested would be good as a backup. Electrifying and increasing capacity for Kirkby-Wigan would probably increase the business case for building a spur line.

It never should have been disconnected in the first place!
It's also less than the price of the new Metrolink extension to Port Salford, why should it be any different just because it's on the Liverpool side?

If things were only ever built around the political alliances of individual MPs I think the country would look a bit strange today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
It's also less than the price of the new Metrolink extension to Port Salford, why should it be any different just because it's on the Liverpool side?

If things were only ever built around the political alliances of individual MPs I think the country would look a bit strange today.

The line in/around Porthmadog/Machynlleth was, reportedly, only saved from axing because it ran throug multiple marginal constituencies!

Status
Not open for further replies.