• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sky Go on East Coast WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten2340

Hi

Does anyone who is technical enough like me know if East Coast block access to video streaming software when using their onboard wifi? I'm on the train now and I am connected using my wifi points and web access is working but Sky Go says I have no connection. Funnily enough Netflix says they 'aren't in this part of the world yet'.

I can access YouTube from the browser though.

Mods I wasn't sure if this should be here or in Infrastructure. Please move if necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Furrball

The t&c state that streaming media is blocked. Some does work though as i have been able to stream BBC radio via their wifi!

dvboy

Established Member
Blocked by georgraphical restrictions rather than specifically by the TOCs equipment

jopsuk

Veteran Member
even if it wasn't blocked (by dint of you appearing to be in Sweden), given that bandwidth is quite limited it would be really rather rude to use it.

Crossover

Established Member
even if it wasn't blocked (by dint of you appearing to be in Sweden), given that bandwidth is quite limited it would be really rather rude to use it.

I think it is VT who have something in the T&C's about this, that bandwidth is very limited so streaming, torrenting and such like shouldn't be done using the onboard system. Do EC not have anything similar?

dvboy

Established Member
I think it is VT who have something in the T&C's about this, that bandwidth is very limited so streaming, torrenting and such like shouldn't be done using the onboard system. Do EC not have anything similar?

Is it normal for the service speed to fluctuate?
Yes this is quite normal. Just like at stationary Wi-Fi hotspots, at home or in the office, bandwidth is shared amongst many customers, and this will result in service speeds fluctuating. As more customers join the service, individual bandwidth will reduce. Furthermore, as the train travels along its journey, the available bandwidth to the train also fluctuates. We aim to provide enough for everyone but if fellow travellers choose to access sites that are bandwidth heavy, this can reduce available bandwidth for everyone else. For this reason we ask you to use the service sensibly and have consideration for fellow passengers.

What can I surf?
You can access most websites, however we do not permit video or audio streaming, catch-up TV and other websites that place an excessive bandwidth demand on the system (such as BBC iPlayer or YouTube). This is to ensure that everyone can have a good surfing experience.
We also wish to remind you that as you are sitting in a public environment, please do not view content that others may find offensive or inappropriate.

The above is from VT's Wifi FAQs.

Can't find similar information on East Coast's website.

The nature of the connection is such that watching video would be often interrupted. I've found that the case just trying to listen to BBC Radio over VT's wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.