• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sky TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE1888

Now while it aint cheap, anyone else notice the best series seem to be on Sky1 these days?
This last year for example, we've had great British TV in 'The Cafe', 'Mad Dogs' and currently 'Stella', modern TV, like it or not, doesn't 'revolve' around the BBC and even less so ITV these days, again it's like most things, it evolves or it fades away
Just look at the sports coverage on BBC/ITV etc, what Sky don't want, or aren't allowed to have...yet
It may be seen as an 'unnecessary' expense to many, but life without Sport on TV (in this household), unthinkable ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
All the best US TV series are on on Sky....or end up on Sky. I only watch a few programmes on terrestrial these days.

Clip

Established Member
And yet the BBC and ITV have much higher viewing figures then most US shows on SKY.. im thinking Downton Abbey and that Midwife thing that was on.. both hitting around the 7-8 million mark.

so maybe they are doing something right.

SS4

Established Member
Sky are essentially double funded (ads + subscription) which gives them an unfair advantage when it comes to bidding for shows. I find few good shows on TV in general and it's frustrating speculatively looking at the tv guide for something to record

ACE1888

Not forgetting dear old Sky prop up 'The Premier' League, so that reality/income to expenditure no longer matter, at least until you drop out of it...

Davidj1178

and don't forget "The Walking Dead" on FX tonight at 10pm.

mmmmmm, brains......... :lol:

Bungle73

On Moderation
And yet the BBC and ITV have much higher viewing figures then most US shows on SKY.. im thinking Downton Abbey and that Midwife thing that was on.. both hitting around the 7-8 million mark.

so maybe they are doing something right.
Yeah, but not everyone has Sky, and some channels require a subscription. Everyone has terrestrial TV.

and don't forget "The Walking Dead" on FX tonight at 10pm.

mmmmmm, brains......... :lol:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/walking-dead-walkers-kill/id498529661?mt=8

:)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well, I have ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 through BT Vision and I did think about changing over at the end of the contract, then I saw the costs of both Sky and Virgin and thought again. I guess BT the best of both worlds really, I mean anything Sky has one of the terrestrial channels will have next year anyway and I can watch pretty much any top level football that is on TV. The only real shame is getting to watch only half of the F1 races* live.

I do miss watching Star Trek or Babylon 5 on one of the Sky channels (by which I mean a channel viewable with Sky TV or Cable only), but I've decided to get the DVDs, then I can watch them whenever I want.

*Before you all say it, I can think of atleast two occasions last season where it could be considered racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.