• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slade Green Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I used to Live in Bexleyheath twenty or so years ago, and was a regular commuter to Cannon Street and Charing Cross. I remember in peak hours, some trains would divert from Barnehurst to Slade Green rather than Dartford (some infact terminated at Barnehurst). I always found this curious, so one day stayed on the train from Barnehurst and went to Slade Green. I then discovered that the train then became a London service via the Woolwich line. There was never a similar service to Crayford, although the link was there.

On a recent visit to London, took a train from Cannon Street to London Bridge, and noticed trains advertised to i think Sidcup or Woolwich via Bexleyheath. Seems strange it has taken so many years to offer regular links like this. Has it affected the amount of trains to Dartford ?

Carl

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Bearing in mind that to get to Woolwich (my former home town) via Bexleyheath means a considerably longer journey (and therefore costs the railway company more) I find this rather odd. I am aware from my commuting days that you can reach both Woolwich and Sidcup via Blackheath, the lines splitting just East of Blackheath. I am also aware that people have got the two places confused in the past, and wonder if that's what's happened here?

Daz28

There are Cannon Street to Cannon Street loop services in both directions via
  • Woolwich and Sidcup (or Sidcup and Woolwich)
  • Woolwich and Bexleyheath (or Bexleyheath and Woolwich)

It seems fairly random as to what they are advertised as and where.

Most of the Bexleyheath loop trains today on NRES are shown as two separate Cannon Street - Slade Green and then Slade Green - Cannon Street services, but they arrive/depart from the same platform at Slade Green within a minute of each other.

Whereas the Woolwich and Sidcup trains are shown as through services on NRES

On the platform, the destination varies depending on how far along the route they are.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To/from Dartford, there are six trains an hour from Charing Cross, 2 from Cannon Street and 2 from Victoria off peak weekdays.

I think that is the same as it always has been.

Back in the 70s/80s I think the three Dartford lines only had 2 trains an hour off peak each, now they all have at least 4, some six.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Bearing in mind that to get to Woolwich (my former home town) via Bexleyheath means a considerably longer journey (and therefore costs the railway company more) I find this rather odd. I am aware from my commuting days that you can reach both Woolwich and Sidcup via Blackheath, the lines splitting just East of Blackheath. I am also aware that people have got the two places confused in the past, and wonder if that's what's happened here?

You cant reach Sidcup via Blackheath, the line goes via Lewisham and Hither Green.
There are Cannon Street to Cannon Street loop services in both directions via
  • Woolwich and Sidcup (or Sidcup and Woolwich)
  • Woolwich and Bexleyheath (or Bexleyheath and Woolwich)

It seems fairly random as to what they are advertised as and where.

Most of the Bexleyheath loop trains today on NRES are shown as two separate Cannon Street - Slade Green and then Slade Green - Cannon Street services, but they arrive/depart from the same platform at Slade Green within a minute of each other.

Whereas the Woolwich and Sidcup trains are shown as through services on NRES

On the platform, the destination varies depending on how far along the route they are.
To/from Dartford, there are six trains an hour from Charing Cross, 2 from Cannon Street and 2 from Victoria off peak weekdays.

I think that is the same as it always has been.

Back in the 70s/80s I think the three Dartford lines only had 2 trains an hour off peak each, now they all have at least 4, some six.

I cant quite remember, and certainly in 70s was before I used trains. But I do remember 3 per hour off peak on Bexleyheath line, basicly Dartford to Charing Cross, not calling at St Johns. Certain 2 on a Sunday. I do recall two odd up trains around 17.30 one to Blackfriars, one to Holborn Viaduct. There were peak times trains to these destinations, never many, but these ones I refered two were going against traffic flow. Did use them a few times, but most passenger Preferred CX. In those days Cannon Street was peaks only. i think thats more regular now, and of course Victoria direct is a more recent introduction.

John Webb

Established Member
Ah! Sorry - forgot Sidcup was on the third line.

I wonder what the Revenue Protection officers would say if they found you taking the long way round!

Status
Not open for further replies.