• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slam door farewell, how many times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
As a fan of the slammers, its nice to see them get a good send off, but this about the 5th or 6th farewell tour!!!
Its much cheaper to look up their daily workings on the yahoo groups than keep paying out for a 'final farewell'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
The thing about tours is you get a good run etc, such as the Ramsgate to Weymouth and return (with an extra train back to London)! Another thing about the Yahoo Groups is that the diagrams can change at short notice, as seen on a few meets :(

Galvanize

To name a few farewells:

CEP Salute
SWT Slammer gala
Last Thump
The Lord nelson
CEP Tribute
Southern Belle
Flush D'or
Seaside Slammer

All the staff tours

Potential Farewell:
Sussex Slammer

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe cheaper if you get PRIV, but for the rest of us the tours are excellent value for the mileage, although some more so than others.

At £10 the Flush D'Or was superb value! :shock:

Coxster

Established Member
Galvanize said:
CEP Salute
CEP Tribute
I remember the 'CEP Farewell' (not mentioned). What were the 'CEP Salute' and 'CEP Tribute' tours?

TheSlash

Established Member
yorkie said:
Maybe cheaper if you get PRIV
If indeed you get priv its cheaper, if how ever you work for 1 of the few railway companies that gives its staff bugger all except free travel to courses, then it costs the same as everybody else pays 8)

Coxster

Established Member
Galvanize said:
CEP Tribute was the one in December 2004, CEP Salute in March 2003
Which one was the 'CEP Farwell' then? We did it as a forum meet back on TTF.

TheSlash

Established Member
I'm reliably informed by Mr Staveley that this will be the last time, i wonder if thats the last time just like all the other last times though? 8)

T

Tom

It also said "and various staff tours", didn't you see that either?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But there have been a LOT of lines to cover. Several trips were needed ;)

I've now covered almost all of the electrified lines on SWT, Southern and SET on Mk1 stock, in the space of a year, either on service trains or railtours :)

T

Tom

I do know that - I was on the RTN staff from Weymouth - Bournemouth :roll:

1288gaje was saying, Galvanize forgot the Seaside Slammer... :roll:

metrocammel

To be truthful, I hope it isn't the "last ever slam-tour", as although yes, we all want to get the piece of history of being on the last tour, but it is also like saying you hope a slammer dont work on the mainline again. Im pretty sure one of the SWT CIG's 1497 & 1498 (or maybe Blue VEP 3417) will work on some sort of tour in the next few years, the hastings unit has passed the safety case hasn't it, so I dont see why theres any reason why the SEG or SWT wont organise somthing like that.

Met Driver

Established Member
I don't doubt that there will be more. They're probably just using 'farewell' to emphasise that the units are currently disappearing from service trains.

Dave A

Technically, if they're using different numbered units everytime, every tour is a farewell tour for that particular unit?!

I think it will be a while before we see the last of the slammers, well hopefully :D

Met Driver

Established Member
London Tube said:
...every tour is a farewell tour for that particular unit?!

Not really, unless of course the unit was to be withdrawn from mainline running after the tour.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seth said:
I don't doubt that there will be more. They're probably just using 'farewell' to emphasise that the units are currently disappearing from service trains.
I've not heard of any more, so it may be the final one.

Oh well, there's always the Chiltern 121...

Met Driver

Established Member
yorkie said:

Yeah, but you've got to admit doing Prince Risborough-Aylesbury several times in a row would get a bit monotonous after a while. ;)

Marylebone-Snow Hill on the other hand...

TheSlash

Established Member
yorkie said:
Seth said:
I've not heard of any more, so it may be the final one.

I've heard of another 3 tours coming up

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheSlash said:
I've heard of another 3 tours coming up
Any idea of when/where to, etc?

I really do hope you're right!

I'd like to see another Thumper trip, I didn't do 'The last thump', and arguably they're the most interesting of the Southern region 'Slammers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.