• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slam doors down south

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve158

because i've never lived in the SE, i can't understand the interest surrounding them. can anyone explain?

i suppose it's down to what you get used to. the first trains i ever went on were a HST, a 156 and a 158, so i like them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
I find it hard to explain really. IMO they are the only units operating on ex-Southern metals which have any character, and I'm making the most of them while it's still possible having been deprived of them when I was younger.

joy54.gen

Living on the Southern Network all my life I've travelled on slam door units from when I was a baby. The Slam Door trains have so much character and comfort, and it makes you like them even more when you see what there being replaced with.

Coxster

Established Member
I'm also a Southerner but don't know what it is about them that I like. I just do :D

Ben

As a Northerner who has travelled on a big variety on Trains i'd say the slammers are a hell of a lot more comfy than the crap we have up here

Tom B

Established Member
As a Northerner, they are proper trains like what we used to have (though admittedly I only remember them very vaugely). Whilst we have to put up with Pacers, they get luxury Slammers. Talk about N/S!

Julian G

Established Member
i remember that the Slammers used to be in the West London Line in 2000
covering for a 319 <D
anyway i have no interest in Slammers at all
i do prefer the 319s over them <D

Met Driver

Established Member
1288gaje said:
anyway i have no interest in Slammers at all
i do prefer the 319s over them <D

For once in my life, I'm well and truly speechless. :shock:

*Faints*

Coxster

Established Member
How did the Slammer run the WLL? It couldn't go north of Kensington Olympia could it? :?

Julian G

Established Member
Coxster said:
How did the Slammer run the WLL? It couldn't go north of Kensington Olympia could it? :?
it did, well it must had terminated at Olympia

at least cl319s can give proper AC noise!! <D

T

Tom

Desiro....

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeEeeEeEeeeeEEeEEEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Zoom zoom zoom, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, zoom zoom zoom, yeah yeah yeah, zoom zoom zoom, etc...

Erm, random!

Slammers really are the only ones to have character IMO.

AlexS

Established Member
Not a fan of the slammers at all. I accept their usefulness and all, but to me they are just another Mk1 coach with a cab and some other junk. Now, a 310/312, that's a different matter (guess I shouldn't say 312 any more, since there are none remaining on this earth, alas :cry: ).

Galvanize

I've travelled on Slammers since I can remember, mainly on trips to Hastings. I've also done quite a few suburban slammers, Slammer Railtours etc. I agree that Slammers are comfortable compared to electrostars, the CIGs being most comfortable.

A lot of the SET Network has been covered on Slammers :), especially Faversham, Hastings, Canterbury etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.