• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slammers on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

Currently on the 1935 Waterloo - Weymouth service. A short while ago, we went past a rake of slammer carriages in mixed liveries, topped and tailed by diesel locos going north just outside Basingstoke.

Anyone know where they were going and why?

Didn't recognize the livery on the locos, definitely not EWS!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Currently on the 1935 Waterloo - Weymouth service. A short while ago, we went past a rake of slammer carriages in mixed liveries, topped and tailed by diesel locos going north just outside Basingstoke.

Anyone know where they were going and why?

Didn't recognize the livery on the locos, definitely not EWS!

Did you get an idea of what liveries the unit(s) were in? They have a 4-VEP thats berthed at Clapham Yard so it may have been on it's way to Eastleigh? Would be nice to know what were the units and where they were off to. :)

antharro

Nah, the VEP wasn't one of them. A number of white or creme liveried coaches and a couple of blue or green, but not the same blue or green as found on the Lymington slammers.

The local were a darker creme or off-white with a sea-green, light blue stripe.

I only got a flash as we shot past, just a few seconds so I didn't take that much in...

NSEFAN

Established Member
It could have been an ECS from Eastleigh to Southall/Tyseley/Carnforth/Crewe? Some railtour stock lives down there from time to time. If the locos were a dark blue, then they would have been DRS.

If you gave the date then I'm sure someone here could look it up.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Possible it could be related to this?

(I took the picture last Fri, 13 July. The train is leaving Wimbledon heading SW, and appears to be transferring from the Thameslink lines to the SWT lines)

Attachments

• WimbledonTrain.jpg
    WimbledonTrain.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 122

yorksrob

Veteran Member

(I took the picture last Fri, 13 July. The train is leaving Wimbledon heading SW, and appears to be transferring from the Thameslink lines to the SWT lines)

Well, I suppose it is a slammer in a way - but it's a bit too posh to represent the Southern slammer of our memories.

GearJammer

Could it be an empty stock move from Eastleigh if its going north, i believe theres a GBRF railtour going southwest tommorrow top and tailed by a 50 & 66, starts in the midlands i think, i heard the 66 is going to be the GBRF 66/7 with the kiddies livery on it and i think i also read somewhere that the empty stock was coming from Eastleigh.

Boothby97

Established Member

Thats the VSOE. Believe there is a Royal Train liveried 67 on the front.
Hope this helps, Sam

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Probably the ECS off the Cruise Saver (see Tours and Specials Forum)

Could it be an empty stock move from Eastleigh if its going north, i believe theres a GBRF railtour going southwest tommorrow top and tailed by a 50 & 66, starts in the midlands i think, i heard the 66 is going to be the GBRF 66/7 with the kiddies livery on it and i think i also read somewhere that the empty stock was coming from Eastleigh.

I think this is more than likely - as the Cruise Liner did head down to Southampton yesterday but this would have been more around 4/5 pm. Cruise Liner ECS is due back today if anyones interested - 0Z81 Eastleigh TRSMD to Crewe Gresty Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.