• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slang words

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know exactly what these mean (I know roughly), the differences between them, but also how they came about?

'Basher'
'Gricer'
'Crank'

and also

'Hellfire'
'Dreadful'

and also
'My Lordz'

Maybe The Gricer and Dennis will know? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:
Does anyone know exactly what these mean (I know roughly), the differences between them, but also how they came about?

'Basher'
'Gricer'
'Crank'

and also

'Hellfire'
'Dreadful'

and also
'My Lordz'

Maybe The Gricer and Dennis will know? ;)
Gricer-Spotter?
'My lordz'-large clag from diesel loco? :? :? :?

The Gricer

I don't know mate. Some of those terms pre-date even me! :) I've never even heard of the 'My Lordz' one. However I did find this rather amusing definition of a gricer. It comes from www.geoffspages.co.uk :-

The word is thought to derive from the "sport" of grouse shooting, when a successful day out would result in s substantial "bag". I have to say that, at that time, and for some years afterwards, the archetypal "gricer" could still be seen regularly at (mainly steam) railway events, clad invariably in the gabardine raincoat, wearing National Health specs, carrying notebook retrieved from duffle bag slung over shoulder. Today the traditional gricer is rare. I must also stress that I never quite conformed to any of the above descriptions (and emphatically not to the model suggested to me a year or two ago by a Dutch correspondent, who was convinced that gricing was trainspotting whilst in the nude)! But a day (or several) out travelling by rail and/or observing and photographing railway operations - gricing, in other words - is still hard to beat.

Frank

AlexS

Established Member
Crank is an old style railfan. Spend all their times shoving people out of the way on trains in order to get the best window positions. Also known as the Coach A Crew.

Veg are photters of sorts, famous for flying up in a car at points along certain trains routes grabbing pictures and then disappearing again. Veg because they don't move around very much, seen sitting in the same places at the same stations time and time again.

Hellfire, Dreaful and My Lordz are all just basically enthusiastic 70's/80s style yells from a basher who has got lucky with a rateable loco or just had a particularly nice ride behind something special.

Jim

Established Member
I use Hellifre a lot. VERY GOOD is what i use it to mean

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I thaught Hellfire was used to describe a Locomotive that was unusually powerful or loud, for example if the Turbo Limiter has been broken and it picks up speed rather fast (Marv has been on a 156 that took off like sh*t off a shovel).

So for example, Marv's 156, or Jocko that is based the the GCR could be described as Hellfire (the Jocko's got half it's silencer missing).

On another note, (Nick, Chaz and Marv dont answer this), does anybody know what a 'Jocko' is?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Jocko = Railwaymans Term for a Shunting Locomotive

Gronk = Railway Enthusiasts Term for a Shunting Locomotive

So yep, you're correct Simming.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simming said:
http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/basher.html

The Above link will give you all the answers
Seen that, but it doesn't go into detail and it does not say why or how these words came about.

How's this then...

Example of a story in basher-speak form said:
We got a compo in a crankex, out the window we saw a few baglets among the ethels. Fortunately we didn't get a bog unit. there were not many Cattle on the train, but plenty of sheep. It was a hellfire riot!

We would have made a minus 4 onto a yobex if we bailed at Crewe, but we rejected it, our main man got Gen that a large beast was at Warrington, so the cling-ons followed. Dreadful! :D

Some gricers were effing it and nearly got hossed but the fossil gripper wasn't desperate.

Our train was CAPE'd at Preston but all the disciples followed our Jed who took a fill-in move to Manchester where a large kettle that we required awaited us. We got a seminar, before boarding the wedged train, but we bailed at the next station due to a farce with a faulty peg.

;)

Nick

I can only understand

bailed
peg
bog unit
kettle
cape'd = cancelled/terminated/finished
gricer
yobex

jdjonnay

We got a compo in a crankex, out the window we saw a few baglets among the ethels. Fortunately we didn't get a bog unit. there were not many Cattle on the train, but plenty of sheep. It was a hellfire riot!
We got a compartment on an enthusiast tour, out the window we saw a few fitties among the old women. Fortunatley we didn't get a bog unit. There weren't many track veg on the tour, but plenty of cranks following the example of others. It was a great trip!

We would have made a minus 4 onto a yobex if we bailed at Crewe, but we rejected it, our main man got Gen that a large beast was at Warrington, so the cling-ons followed. Dreadful!
We would have been 4 minutes early for a football train if we'd got off at crewe, but didn't do it, our informed man got information that an uncommon loco was at Warrington, so the people who followed us round came with us. Great!

Some gricers were effing it and nearly got hossed but the fossil gripper wasn't desperate.
Some enthusiasts were riding without a ticket and almost got caught, but the old guard wasn't worried.

Our train was CAPE'd at Preston but all the disciples followed our Jed who took a fill-in move to Manchester where a large kettle that we required awaited us. We got a seminar, before boarding the wedged train, but we bailed at the next station due to a farce with a faulty peg.
Our train was cancelled at Preston, but all the unexperienced entusiasts followed Jed (top 80s basher), who took an alternative train to Mancheser, where a large diesel with a boiler we required awaited us. We got a shot around the loco, before boarding the full train, but we bailed at the next station due to a signalling fault further on.

Obvious, really, haven't you heard people talking like that on ex's?

BTW - Veg also describes the people who just sit on a train to get the track / think they're top men because they do "heads out" from the rear coach of a leccy etc etc. Desprate/dribbling veg are people who sit on the end of a platform and wait for what they need, getting excited about various units etc. It's degrading to the people, but it's easier to say "who'd that veg" than point out a certain person in a crowd.

Jon

clagmonster

Established Member
ETHEL is also a rat that was converted to an ETH generator for use on the West Highland.

Simming

jdjonny said:

the last thing I heard when bashing trains was just mainly "oooooooooooo" ;)

clagmonster said:
ETHEL is also a rat that was converted to an ETH generator for use on the West Highland.

exactly why its used for these people, useless, tired, oldies :lol:

jdjonnay

Simming said:
jdjonny said:

the last thing I heard when bashing trains was just mainly "oooooooooooo" ;)

I seem to recall something being bellowed at a passing ADEX last time Mr Rob went bashing.

Something along the lines of

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tram neds!!!!!

:lol:

Jon

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Caped is actually an official term for a cancelled train IIRC (I know the GCR use it).

TheSlash

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
Caped is actually an official term for a cancelled train IIRC (I know the GCR use it).
No CAPE is the official term stemming from telegraph days, CAPEd is unofficial slang

Status
Not open for further replies.