• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper diversions until March?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hi all,

I thought of putting this in 'Special Workings' but not sure if its a deffinate run.

I read in the PSUL that the Sleeper is running round Camden Road and up the ECML until 25th March, but I haven't seen or read anywhere about this happening. Is it running down the ECML again for WCML works?

If so I better start planning a trip on the sleeper in early March!

Cheers,
James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Is this every night (apart from Saturdays) or just SuO? I don't think there is any Engineering works at night in the form of Blockades on the WCML like there has been in the past.

Perhaps during the Weekends (South of Watford Junction/Hemel Hempstead). The only blockades that there definitely be is on the Trent Valley but the sleeper can divert via New Street.

If it was to divert via ECML, I take it would call at Crewe, Preston or Carlisle then? Unless your going of wires via Settle or Transpennine over Manchester and Warrington / Crewe.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Is this every night (apart from Saturdays) or just SuO? I don't think there is any Engineering works at night in the form of Blockades on the WCML like there has been in the past.

According to PSUL it is Sunday nights from Feb 4th to March 25th. Full gen from there:

PSUL said:
SUNDAY NIGHTS 4 FEBRUARY TO 25 MARCH 2007:
Sudbury Jn - Willesden West London Jn (via Willesden Relief Lines diveunder) [20] (66,400) CB 2142 SuO Glasgow Central - Euston

Harlesden Jn - Sudbury Jn (via High Level Goods Line)[20] (400,401) CB {new route, for diversionary use}
SUNDAY NIGHTS 4 FEBRUARY TO 25 MARCH 2007:
2025 SuO Inverness - Euston
2013 SuO Euston - Inverness
2231 SuO Euston - Glasgow Central

I did an ECML sleeper back in 2001, which I'm pretty sure was the first Sleeper booked over the East Coast for over 10 years. There's a review of the trip at http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/galas/011202.htm

Peter

how about a east coast sleeper service that joins with the caledonian sleeper at Edinburgh?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Yes its official

It will run via the ECML from the 25th Feb, something about S&C diversions as well (dont think the article meant the sleeper)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Will it be possible to join/leave the sleeper at any stations on ECML?
Not advertised, but you can do at York. It was quite eerie being the only person to get off a 16-coach long train in the vast York trainshed at approx 0400, with no-one else around, but so much better than being at Preston and having to wait 2 hours for the first train over the Pennines!!

I found the journey much smoother, the only places we slowed down were Morpeth (for the curve), Newcastle (stop - but doors did not unlock), and we slowed to take the slow lines between Northallerton and York (no idea why we did this). On the WCML you have more brake applications which is very annoying if you're in seated unless you're a fan of Mk2 brake sounds.

The only reason I couldn't get any sleep was because I was too worried I'd miss my stop.

I was once at Peterborough and the train stopped there for a loco change, but the doors did not unlock. I asked if I could get on to York but the member of staff was grumpy and just shook his head (would have got me back 90 mins earlier than the last GNER + TPE).

paul1609

Established Member
Ive never managed a ECML diversion but when Watford Junction was a set down stop. I alighted a couple of times there the only passenger to do so. it was fun being the only passenger alighting from a 16 coach train complete with walking boots and muddy rucksack in front of the early morning commuters.
As regards sleep I find the GW sleepers better as I dont get woken by the air con stopping and starting in neutral sections.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sleepers up the ECML? Something for me to get in there me thinks...I think I need that diversionary route too, I'll look into it.

90s up the ECML, sounds fun!

Will it be possible to join/leave the sleeper at any stations on ECML?

Ive heard so but ill need to check i will be up on the FTW sleeper next week someday so ill ask, the train will need to stop at one stop on the ECML for passengers as the train has to take on its breakfasts for the morning as they cannot get the order at euston as they dont know if everybody will board.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Appears to run as normal to the diveunder by the PRDC at Wembley. It takes this diveunder then reverses up to Harlesden Junction, which appears to be JUST east of the freight-only line off Acton Wells to Cricklewood, onto the NLL before it heads off a little later up another (probably) freight-only line to the ECML. Clever...Need parts of that no doubt!

EDIT: Since informed it is due to go via Primrose Hill. Which makes sense actually. Typical it be me who misreads a Quail map...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there confirmed dates? Ideally the best time to get the sleeper is as close to mid-June as possible! I like Sundays as it leaves earlier from Fort William so you get more of it in daylight.

I'll be up for a trip, but you have to either spend a Saturday night in a B&B, or go up on a day train, as there are no sleepers on Saturday nights.

Established Member
Appears to run as normal to the diveunder by the PRDC at Wembley. It takes this diveunder then reverses up to Harlesden Junction, which appears to be JUST east of the freight-only line off Acton Wells to Cricklewood, onto the NLL before it heads off a little later up another (probably) freight-only line to the ECML. Clever...Need parts of that no doubt!

EDIT: Since informed it is due to go via Primrose Hill. Which makes sense actually. Typical it be me who misreads a Quail map...

Reverses at Kilburn Loop (south of Queens Pk) then via Primrose Hill and Kings X Incline. No riotous track, unlike when it went for a detour via Temple Meads Yard this year!!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Reverses at Kilburn Loop (south of Queens Pk) then via Primrose Hill and Kings X Incline. No riotous track, unlike when it went for a detour via Temple Meads Yard this year!!!
Temple Mills?! ;)

Temple Meads would be some detour! :o

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Was going to say, Temple Meads Yard doesn't exist! Temple MILLS, yes that does! Still seems a bit insane to go via Temple Mills though!

Might have to try and get on this sleeper bash though, really need to cover the freight only lines it does!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was going to say, Temple Meads Yard doesn't exist! Temple MILLS, yes that does! Still seems a bit insane to go via Temple Mills though!
Was this the time when the OHLE was being overhauled, so GNER terminated at Finsbury Park?

Someone was on a sleeper that spent half the morning parked at Finsbury Park refusing to let anyone off (platforms not long enough, SDO not allowed) waiting for a Class 66 to take them to Euston via some obscure route, finally arriving at about midday!

Are there confirmed dates? Ideally the best time to get the sleeper is as close to mid-June as possible! I like Sundays as it leaves earlier from Fort William so you get more of it in daylight.

Maybe the 67's will still be running then ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.